Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
grainbags./ does this look normal?
    #4521309 - 08/11/05 06:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i made these bags and others like them and almost all of them look like this somwhere in the bag. i have been adding water to my bags before PC'ing and letting them soak. i have experimented with different water amounts and it never gets fully absorbed till after cooking. after soaking for 1 hour the grains at the bottom arent to soggy. after five hours bottom grains are pretty soggy. after 24 hours bottom grains have absorbed most of the water. this bag is after soaking 24 hours then PC'ing for four hours. although this is the most dramatic representaion of this phenomena, all of the other bags also shhow similar tendencies. some of the bags i did a few days ago. look like wetspot on the bottom but i cant be sure because thats how it looked when i knocked it up. anyways there are quite alot of broken grains at the bottom where all the water was absorbed.
i was wondering if anyone else has seen this or what. i know that i could just try to soak them in hot water or boil them but i am doing like 7 dry pounds at a time and i never could get my steeping times to fit my targeted moisture content. any help is appreciated

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGamera

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: grainbags./ does this look normal? [Re: fungophiliac]
    #4522000 - 08/11/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well I can't give you any advice as a mycologist, but as a cook it looks to me like you have some ruptured grains in there and you are getting some burst grain goo. In the picture you can see a few split open which is going to release a starchy soup. Since you are describing quite a lot of broken grains at the bottom I would venture to guess that they soaked up water as it dripped down and are over-saturated, at least in spots. It looks like "overcooked."

Beyond that I all know is that the teks recommend minimizing ruptured kernels, I gather because that goo is more likely to contaminate than intact grains.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: grainbags./ does this look normal? [Re: Gamera]
    #4522032 - 08/11/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

And because mycelium won't colonize through a paste very well. It likes a lot of open passageways to move through.

Hope and pray that bacteria does not set up shop in the wetness.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder