Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGringoLoco
I spit in theface of peoplewho ain't cool.
 User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
Workout special diet?
    #4501965 - 08/05/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I'm a skinny guy and I would like to build up some muscle. About a year ago I was working out every body part but I didn't see any gains, so I got too lazy to put effort into something I wasn't seeing results on. Now, my metabolism has always been fast, so I think I'll need to eat more meals (I've heard like 3000 calories a day is recommended), and smaller ones. The problem is, I've been eating one big meal a day for pretty much my entire life. So am I going to have to make some major changes to my diet if I'm going to do this thing again? With supplements and whey protein and the whole 9 yards? If theres any experienced body builders here I could use some entry level directions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Workout special diet? [Re: GringoLoco]
    #4502145 - 08/05/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am in your exact same shoes. Read my "Randalflagg's self-improvement thread" thread in this forum. Years ago I used to work out everyday and I was very cut, but I was still too skinny. I can eat anything and never gain a pound. When most people get sedentary they get fat. When I get sedentary I get even skinnier.

During the first week of my present working out I did mild sets that made me a little sore but that really didn't push me. I was doing this just to get back into the groove of things. But, if you stick to doing that then you might gain five pounds or so. If you want to gain some real weight you need to eat about 6 times a day, eat a shitload of protein, and do hardcore workout sessions. The only way to make yourself gain significant weight if you are a "hard gainer" like me is to shock your body drastically. Hardcore workout sessions are where you isolate one area of your body. Do three sets of a bunch of exercises where you do ten reps per exercise.

Monday - Chest, shoulders, triceps
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Back, Biceps
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Legs, Abs
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Each of those sessions is about an hour long. You might be saying, "Only working out three hours a week will make me bulk up??". If you push yourself to the limits during those three hours and eat like a madman then you will bulk up.

Don't do a ton of cardio (walking, biking, etc..). It will only burn calories and take away from any bulk you are building up. Do enough to stay healthy however.

I can't say all of this shit I just told you is definitive. I am just starting on this program myself. I don't know what kind of results I will get. But, this does seem to be the accepted way for perpetually skinny guys to bulk up.

OfflineGringoLoco
 User Gallery

Re: Workout special diet? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4503773 - 08/06/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Mild sets... that might have been my problem. When I started I always overstrained myself. I might have very well pushed my muscles too far, maybe easing back into things is the way to go. You and everyone else I've talked to suggests isolation of certain muscles rather than just working everything out.

Much thanks for the tips, bro.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4504089 - 08/06/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The most important fact you need to know about bodybuilding is that muscle is not built in the gym.  You break down your muscles when you workout.  The food you eat and the amount of rest you get is crucial to your success in bodybuilding.  Excessive training with poor nutrition will never result in muscle gain.  You need an excess of calories to add muscle.  You must take in more calories in a day than you burn off or you will not grow any muscle, even if you are on steroids, it just wont work.  Protein supplementation is very good but try not to neglect whole food intake.  Your diet should be balanced with good carbs and fats as well as protein.  Guys who neglect their carbs usually complain of hindered gains in the long term.  I could go on for another hour but I need to go to the gym now.  Good luck :thumbup:.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4504136 - 08/06/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Some good advice so far.

Yes you'll have to start eating more often. When I'm bulking I eat 7 or 8 meals a day. If you're used to eating one big meal, change your routine gradually until you're eating smaller portions more often. That'll help your body make better use of the nutrients it's getting. A good macronutrient split is 40-50% protein, 30-40% carbs, and 20% fat of your total daily intake (100%). If you're serious about this you'll want to start keeping track of everything you eat in a day, to make sure 1) you're getting enough calories and 2) your diet is properly balanced. Good luck.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Workout special diet? [Re: moog]
    #4506124 - 08/07/05 02:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If you really want to know your stuff and put together a meal plan, I suggest going to the bodybuilding.com forums Nutrition section. Read the stickies, search the threads, and post any questions. You'll get rock solid advice from people who know what they're talking about.

P.S. Research first, make conclusions second, ask questions third.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Workout special diet? [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #4507743 - 08/07/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I second that. You absolutly need to know your stuff or else you'll do like most of us... Losing 4, 6, or 20 months  of possible progress because you dont know what you're doing.

Heres a possible diet I eat for example.

first meal:
500ml milk mixed with 3 whole eggs and 3 more whites
a Big portion of oatmeal

+3h:

Alot of rice mixed with tuna and cottage cheese :grin: Damn thats good with some veggies

+3h:
Pastas with chiken breast.

+3h: a protein shake with a banana

+3h: a steak with potatoes.

etc.

You have to think yourself as a eating-machine seriously. Eat, and eat some more after.
Of course the gym is important but its how much you're serious about nutrition that will make you grow some muscle.

And be INTENSE in the gym. 90% of people in my gym are training like its a walk in the park. If you're not sweating, if you're not at least a little bit sore the day after... Thats not a good sign. No pain no gain :wink:
Id say start for the first 6 months training each body part once a week, Its definatly enough to grow. I suggest you do anywhere between 4-8 reps. Here's what I do: I use a weight I know for a fact I cant do 10 reps. After that I dont even count the reps, I go for complete failure. Drop sets and supersets are great too. What I mean is dont try to make exactly 10 or whatever reps. Go for failure.

Deadlifts, squat, bench press, pullups, dips are GREAT exercises. Be sure to use all of them. Hell, I bet it would be well enough to grow some serious muscle with the correct intensity.

Good luck and as someone else said bodybuilding.com is a very good source of info. I dont really like the forums tho, too much morons.
Read 10-20h ( about nutrition, common mistakes, etc ) and you'll be on your way!

Edited by Gus (08/07/05 05:18 PM)

OfflineTetrisRocks
Stranger
Re: Workout special diet? [Re: Gus]
    #4519708 - 08/10/05 08:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, supplements are totaly worth it. Eat healthy, low fat, really low saturated fat, that is key. Whey protien is your best deal for an effective supplement, it's the only one I consistantly use other then nootropics and multivitamins. It's healthier then getting protien all from meat, dairy and such, and is absorbed easier. You want to shoot for a gram of protien for every pound you weigh a day between food and supplemnts, this will help you build muscle fast.

In the gym work fast and hard. You should be breathing hard the whole time. This keeps you tearing more muscle and burning more fat.

Free weights are way better then machines. It's much easier to push yourself further with free weights and you activate more muslces at once which releases testosterone.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This is an awesome sight for finding exersises with free weights. Find the body part you want to work and there will be plenty of exersises to do with it.

Keep with it and you should start to see results. Another thing you want to do is loose fat. If you can't see your abs, doing crunches and leg raises won't make them appear. To have abs show at any size you have to have around 8% body fat. Having a low body fat really makes your muscles stand out a lot too. The best way to loose fat is to eat 6-8 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up, and don't eat any large meals after 7 or so. Have some protien to replenish muscle while you sleep, but no carbs or dairy that can be stored as fat. Do cardio fairly often, 20-30 minutes worth on an empty stomache. Walking, swimming, running, whatever works for you, this is also key to burning fat.

There is plenty of info out there so I encourage you to search around google. The only thing I would advise against is going out and getting weight gainers, those 2000 calorie a serving things. They are very unhealthy, just no good for your body.

Good luck bro, I hope things work out for you.

OfflineGringoLoco
 User Gallery

Re: Workout special diet? [Re: TetrisRocks]
    #4520376 - 08/10/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent advice so far, I started hitting the gym a few days ago. As far as whey protein goes, what Brand is the best? I don't want to spring for some cheap stuff and end up getting a bunch of nasty starches with the protein.

Again, thanks for the pointers.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4520508 - 08/10/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GringoLoco said:
Excellent advice so far, I started hitting the gym a few days ago. As far as whey protein goes, what Brand is the best? I don't want to spring for some cheap stuff and end up getting a bunch of nasty starches with the protein.

Again, thanks for the pointers.

I would suggest soy protein. All of the Whey protein supplements I saw were loaded with cholesterol. Soy has like none. Soy is twice the price though.

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

#4521197 - 08/11/05 03:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've found it makes more sense to buy soy protein powder (excellent quality protein btw) than the expensive pre-packaged protein supplements.

You should be able to find good quality soy protein powder at a grocery store (e.g. Fred Meyer or QFC if you have those). If the store is large enough, it'll be in the area with bulk bins of various foods (nuts, oats, split peas, etc.).

~$6 a lb. is worth it I believe.

The stuff is great in shakes, baking, etc.

OfflineTetrisRocks
Stranger
Re: Workout special diet? [Re: korins]
    #4521303 - 08/11/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You should be able to find soy cheaper actually. Around her it is. Soy powder is much less effective for building muscle though, it's different amino acids. I wouldn't use it unless you are vegan or have high cholestrol problems.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#4523552 - 08/11/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you can get away with eating just about everything in sight. eat all you can, it should become your job to eat. it's the only way. that coupled with heavy weightlifting.

plain and simple.

don't even think about all these complex diets and special workouts. just eat and lift. after about 2 months, you should see some decent results...more mass and definition. you most likely will NOT get fat and if you think you're gaining too much fat, just cut the fat out of your job of eating. you CANNOT get lazy though.

also, main supplement you will need is whey protein. whey is more readily available than soy protein.

i personally take this stuff called serious mass by optimum nutrition. it's loaded with proteins and vitamins and other supplements plus it tastes really good. it also helps me hit my goal of calories i need per day cause it's hard for me to always be eating. i used to be skinny and i'm no experienced body builder, but i'm not skinny anymore.

one last thing, i read that working the large muscles (like your legs) in your body hard during lifiting makes your body produce more testosterone and testosterone = muscle.

hope that helps..

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Anonymous #1

#4524030 - 08/11/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

e:

Edited by shaos (04/10/11 02:34 PM)

OfflineGringoLoco
 User Gallery

Re: Workout special diet? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #4524181 - 08/11/05 10:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, eggs are your friend during these workout diets. They're tasty and damn easy to make.

I think Felix is right too. I mean, I eat all day anyway and I'm a pencil necker. Might as well make it muscle building activity while I'm at it. Meat and protein is the most important part, though.

It's going well, people. My arms and pecs are suffering as we speak.

OfflineMadSeason

#10165903 - 04/14/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Good advices. I'm 22, 6" and around 145lbs. I recently started working out and paying more attention to my health. I use to be very sportive and for the last five years of my life I've stopped moving. Now after really wanting to go take some martial art classes I wanted to get myself in shape before, flexibility, cardio and get some strenght.

Right now I don't have equipement. Just one weight of 15 and another of 20 lbs and my own body. So I just lift weight and do sit ups and push ups. I will have a bench press at my house wich will be better.

I use to eat very badly. Now I tried to eat healthy.
I want to gain to muscle, gain some weight.

I got some good info here.

If anyone has advice, workout routine, good diet for what I need, it would be appreciated

--------------------
In the province of the mind, there are no limits

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds