Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The REAL Skeptic
    #4521120 - 08/11/05 04:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

web page

This site contains dozens of articles that challenge most every assumption about astronomy, physics, evolution and empirical science in general.

At first I thought this guy was wacked out, but the more I read, the more interesting and intelligent he (Peter Bros) appears. He is unafraid to ask deep questions.

Perhaps some of you physics guys might want to tackle an inconsistency or two he brings up. While this may seem better suited to the Science forum, there are enough philosophic issues to be covered.

I am too tired right now to hilight any specific anomolies that Bros points out nor form a solid opinion. Check it out for a new slant. Prepare to bring an open mind.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: The REAL Skeptic [Re: Swami]
    #4521158 - 08/11/05 05:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

err...i didn't bother reading much, but i read his bit on the atom and it was, well, abysmal. his understanding of physics and the scientific method is pretty poor to be honest (at least judging from that one article).

i mean, his entire argument was that the model of the atom wasn't perfect in its original form, so its invalid. and that by improving the model over time, scientists are somehow doing something wrong.

he also claims that scientists 'profess perfect knowledge'.

what an idiot.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: The REAL Skeptic [Re: alsey]
    #4521184 - 08/11/05 05:34 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

just a few particular points to show i'm not talking out of my ass:

Quote:

While the atom as described by empirical science is close to reality because it can be used by chemists to guide them in their explorations of potential technology, the usefulness of the atom has pretty much given way to the boring process of trial and error that is the foundation of all other technological endeavors simply because the atom has outlived its usefulness in guiding the production of technology. It is a concept that has passed its prime.

actually, the concept of the atom is still central to solid state physics, on which all modern electronic technology is based.

Quote:

Empirical science, however, does not abandon its concepts because it believes those concepts to be real, that the pictures in the books, the models in the museums, the charts on the wall all reflect the exact nature of the reality in which we live.

bros seems to like these kinds of strawman attack from what i have read. scientists work with theories that are added, deleted and modified as time progresses. absolute reality is not their domain; that is metaphysics.

Quote:

The concept of the atom was, however, flawed at the outset.

indeed, which is why it was modified (duh).

he then continues his diatribe attacking the early models of the atom which are already acknowledged to be wrong. yes, brilliant stuff; be a skeptic of things which have already been accepted as incorrect :confused:

Quote:

Empirical science, however, is never at a loss for creating that which it needs to cover over that which it doesn't understand. Empirical science is the process of naming rather than understanding. It started off with the holy grail of ignorance, the nature of the force that causes objects to drop. It has no idea what this force is, so it simply names it and lets it go at that. The force that causes objects to drop is gravity. It is a property, like the color of the elements, the hardness of the elements, or even like Mendeleev's chemical properties. It just exists.

here, bros' ignorance of the scientific method is shown. he is seeking the underlying 'why'. science cannot provide the answer to this, so he attacks science. but science was never supposed to answer that question. he is basically attacking science over a matter that is not even within the realm of science.

he then goes on to attack scientists for improving their theory. hmmm.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4522697 - 08/11/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

He's a nutcase. I don't know where to begin...

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4522766 - 08/11/05 05:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

questioning everything one has ever read or hear is a good way to start looking for truth

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology