Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Bedroom?
    #4518998 - 08/10/05 06:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I want to grow bulk so I'm planning on dedicating an entire bedroom to growing. The room is roughly 12x12 with a small closet with a door that is about 3x6. There is a ceiling fan and a window in the room and I've already covered the window to prevent light from getting in. IOW it is pitch black in the room with the door shut and the lights off, even at noon. I realize that the shrooms are going to need like 90% or higher humidity so I've got ultrasonic humidifiers for that. I really want to make this work so please let me know how to do it. Surely it can be done because I'm sure not everyone here is only growing a couple cakes at a time. :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bedroom? [Re: llopez00]
    #4519049 - 08/10/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

with such a high humidity you need to be concerned with mold growing on the walls and also things like framing lumber/flooring decaying

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bedroom? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4519110 - 08/10/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Read the link in my signature: Turning your Closet into a Fruiting Chamber..same thing but a closet instead of the whole room. Good luck, your talkinag about extreame WORK there..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Bedroom? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4519119 - 08/10/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

But I do need high humidity, right? How about taking the furniture out of the room and covering the ceiling, walls, floor, inside/outside of doors, etc. with clear plastic? That would kinda make it into a 12x12 terrarium, wouldn't it? I've also heard about air exchange being a must so I'm not really sure what to do about that yet. The ceiling fan on a low setting wouldn't work, would it? Either that or I could cover it with plastic and use a small desk fan while uncovering the bottom of the window to allow for some fresh air through an A/C filter or something. I'm sure you can tell I'm brand new to this but I'm just thinking about a bunch of different things right now. Another question, how important is sterility in the grow room? From what I've read here the past couple days, sterilizing the jars all the way to casing requires extreme sterility, especially for Pan Cyan.

OfflineTheLightIsOn
In the worst ofall your fears

#4519146 - 08/10/05 07:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Uhm, If this is your first grow why dont you get yourself familiar with growing mushrooms first then try for something bigger? Just a thought.

-Peace

--------------------
AFOAF's current multi-grow log

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4519149 - 08/10/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sterility is needed. High humidity is needed. For air exchange you'll need to bring in air, there are a hundred ways to do it, be creative. Turning on a fan owont work, it will just push around existing air and gases. You'll need to keep the humidity with the air exchange.

You're attempting something that would be difficult for me to do, and I can do pretty well growing shrooms...your talking about a difficult and huge set up and a full time job with ALOT of overtime...and thats for a grower with over a year of experience and dozens of pounds under his or her belt.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4519152 - 08/10/05 07:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

honestly, think much smaller for your first runthrough

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Bedroom? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4519186 - 08/10/05 08:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was just planning on getting the room ready and using it to grow a small amount first. That way I'll have the room ready when I progress to larger amounts. If I slightly opened the window in the room, put an A/C filter in front of it, and then put a fan in front of it, would that be okay for bringing air in as long as I had another fan for circulation? Either that or maybe I could scale back my plans and only use like half the room and cover it with plastic, using plastic "walls" in the middle of the room to divide the grow chamber from the rest of the room. That should eventually cater to my needs very well. Nothing is set in stone yet of course, I'm still just brainstorming trying to find a solution that will work.

Offlineazurescens
    #4519199 - 08/10/05 08:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You should be more concerned with mastering growing smaller amounts and setting up a fruiting chamber of smaller size that will succeed. Then think about growing bigger. Everything that you have suggested so far will result in failure for a bulk grow.

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
    #4519207 - 08/10/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What about a bunch of pretty big aquariums with some type of cover? Would misting them and leaving the lid almost all the way on with a little room for air exchange keep the humidity where it needs to be? That way I could start out small as you guys suggest with a couple aquariums or rubbermaid containers and then just increase the number of them as I get more experience. Just thinking guys, I'm not trying to irritate anyone. I'd still run a humidifier or two in the room but not to where I'd need to cover everything to avoid mold. I'm talking about raising the humidity in the room from its normal 20-30% to like 50-60% with 90% or higher humidity in the growing containers. Am I starting to sound a little better now?

Edited by llopez00 (08/10/05 08:15 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4519234 - 08/10/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You need to do another week of reading on PMP, and martha stewert closets. Start small, and dont waste time on a shit load of chambers..get a cheap greenhouse to start you off, with a cool mist and ultrasonic. No you cant just leave the window open either, that doesnt sound very sterile now does it? If you answer yes, go do two more weeks of reading :smile:

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
    #4519241 - 08/10/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I dont want to be rude to you either but you really should do some readin gon this site first. You cant just leave the lid open a little bit whereas you'll get contams most assuredly. You are on the right track by using rubbermaids or and aquarium though. You could also look into a Martha set up. Do a search on this forum.

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Bedroom? [Re: azurescens]
    #4519285 - 08/10/05 08:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, will do. This is all very confusing to me compared to growing weed. Then when I read Shroom Wizard's guide first that really fucked up my shroom growing perception. To attempt to lower my confusion a little bit, why is it that I see pics of peoples' grows on this site with the container sitting on a bed with nothing covering it or anything? Were these pics taken right before harvest or are these people lucky to not get contams? From what I gather, especially after this thread, high sterility is key from beginning to end in a shroom grow. Another question, how are these shrooms able to grow outdoors with no problems but any little thing will screw up your grow indoors? Do you think I should attempt an outdoor grow instead? I don't see how I could though because I live in a very dry area. Oh well, I'm not going to give up on this.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4519307 - 08/10/05 08:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Those people, like myself, dont leave the casings out their forever...and run HEPA filters in the room, with nothing there. Dont worry about what others do..worry about what your supposed to do...just suffice it to say that what your talking about, an open window IN your growroom, is different from a casing sitting out on a bed for a day or two in a clean bedroom, after its made its run through the casing layer and is ready to fruit.

Outdoors, theres no stagnant air of a sealed room, and there is UV radiation from the sun which kills off bad things.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4519331 - 08/10/05 09:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Simco Airostat

Portable Hepa

2X4 flow-hood

You use the right things - at the right time.

--------------------

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Bedroom? [Re: agar]
    #4519350 - 08/10/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, okay. So the key is to keep their time in non-sterile environments as short as possible. I read up on the PMP in this thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1 and it seems like a cool idea. I assume that the air stones, tubes, lava rock or whatever, and water have not been sterilized though. And he took that pic with the lid off of the container so I assume that it is okay to do that as long as your setup looks like the last pic the VAST majority of the time to avoid contams. Am I getting closer?

Offlineblueboomers
Shroomhead

Loc: United Disgrace of Americ...
Re: Bedroom? [Re: agar]
    #4519357 - 08/10/05 09:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yea most def start small, your big adventure could be a complete catastrophy if you've never done this before. When I first started I had no frickin clue what was what, and you think you've done alot of research? I read on the internet for 5 years before I started my first grow, and I still lost 80% of my cakes to mold.
Try doing something like making a huge box that you can walk in, like 8x8x8 that is made out of plexi glass. That way you can walk inside of it, and have just casings in the open, on a table or something. Or you could try a tent? You never know, that could prove useful. Or just be crazy mad and have like 24 huuuuuge rubbermaid containers, their biggest ones, and just make 24 huuge ass casings. Thats mondo huge bro.

Best of luck, but start small.

--------------------
I will never hold you underneath for me
Maybe only just enough so you can breathe
Just another anchor in your life
Drowning over my life

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Bedroom? [Re: blueboomers]
    #4519421 - 08/10/05 09:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, what about misting and fanning? Should I spray lysol in the room first, wait 10 minutes, and then mist and fan? Otherwise I would see this as an excellent opportunity to get contams. Especially if you need to do it more than once per day.

On a side note: I eventually plan to be able to get 1/2 pound to a pound per harvest (including all flushes, however many per grow)of dried Pan Cyan shrooms. Any idea what this will take? Shroom Wizard says that 100 grams will be 10 grams dry so I don't know how far off that is.

EDIT: I will probably only be able to grow for the next couple of years so I'd like to make the most of it just in case I'm unable to start back up in the future.

Edited by llopez00 (08/10/05 09:32 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bedroom? [Re: blueboomers]
    #4519424 - 08/10/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4519440 - 08/10/05 09:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Contams arent THAT big of a problem Fanning is fine, opening is fine. There are spores everywhere all the time. You try to limit the amount of spores that are exposed to your casing, and the duration of dirty air being exposed. Using alot of lysol will lead you to mutations..just be clean in your house and room that the chamber is in, and you can fan, open, picture, do whatever pretty well. Really though everything your asking can be found reading, and instead of asking questions, go search for your questions and start reading up on the whole subjects. There are 3 good search engines for this site, the best two being the Google one and the Search Posts one. Use them!

And dont set your goal to be large amounts of Pan Cyans. Been there, done that, I understand why, but stick with cubensis for yeild. They are TO potent for most people, alot of them wigging out on more then a gram, and dont yield well compared to their potency. It would take years of growing and experience to do that and it wouldnt be worth your time or money.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation