Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebob_smith93456
Bad MotherChicken
Conflicting information on casing
    #4515429 - 08/09/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My PF jars are near complete colonization. Once they are finished I plan to case them but I'm finding conflicting information and would like some help clearing it up.

1. What ratio of colonized substrate vs casing material do I use? When I read the 50/50 tek it tells me to use 1/2" to 3/4" or even up to 1" casing material and 2" - 3" colonized substrate. This conflicts from what the FAQ and the TMC says in this post http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23441. What ratio should I use?

2. Should I use the 1/2" wet verm at the bottom, it seems like a good idea.

3. What mixture of peat moss, verm, oyster shell, and lime should I use? I like the 50/50 tek because it has exact measurements but it seems to be 2nd guessing itself. I bought a PH meter to work the casing myself but the stupid thing didn't register properly. I don't have enough $ to go buy a bad ass one so i'm stuck relying on someone else's formula. If anyone has a formula that they were able to reach 7.5 PH and tested it, I would be very happy to hear how you did it.

4. How long do you let the mycelium grow before initiating pinning? Most of the teks say 2 - 3 days without touching it. The 50/50 tek says to wait 1 - 2 weeks. I figured I would be asking for a good overlay if I waited that long. I need some clarification.

5. One last thing, a bit off topic but how do you know when the PF jar is completely colonized? How long should I wait after the whole jar is white?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I've read a ton of stuff and these are the ones that don't make sense. Thanks for your help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: bob_smith93456]
    #4515513 - 08/09/05 06:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

1. Casing layer should be 1/4 of your substrate layer

2. I don't use verm on the bottom as it creates a haven for contams

3. 50/50+ tek tells you exactly how much of everything to use, break it down into percentages if you have to

4. I throw my casing right into the fruiting chamber after putting it together, some like to let it incubate for 2-3 days before going into chamber.

5. After the entire jar is white, give it another 3-5 days to fully colonize the inside.

Offlinebob_smith93456
Bad MotherChicken
Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4516385 - 08/09/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OfflinekronnyQ, on question 1 you say you use 1/4" of 50/50 mix and how much of the colonized mycelium?

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4516634 - 08/09/05 11:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No not 1/4", 1/4 of your substrate depth. So if your substrate depth is 4", use a 1" casing layer.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4516823 - 08/10/05 12:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
1. Casing layer should be 1/4 of your substrate layer

2. I don't use verm on the bottom as it creates a haven for contams

3. 50/50+ tek tells you exactly how much of everything to use, break it down into percentages if you have to

4. I throw my casing right into the fruiting chamber after putting it together, some like to let it incubate for 2-3 days before going into chamber.

5. After the entire jar is white, give it another 3-5 days to fully colonize the inside.

thank you for this post. It has made me want to attempt a REAL casing instead of my ghetto ones:

now all i need is a good "formula" for a casing layer. all i have is verm and peat moss (with no buffer) laying around at the moment.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: Mych]
    #4517264 - 08/10/05 06:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just don't go over 1" and I'll always recommend less because IME that much is not only necessary but wastes time and the myc's energy IMHO. I recommend 3/8-5/8" no matter what the substrates depth although a 6" substrate will benefit from a 3/4" casing. Read this and you will have a better idea of whats what: Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinebob_smith93456
Bad MotherChicken
    #4517728 - 08/10/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the link to that post it helps. Alright, couple of other questions.

1. Do you guys use agricultural hydrated lime or calcium carbonate?

2. This will make me sound stupid but I'm trying to get the terminology right. When you say "No not 1/4", 1/4 of your substrate depth. So if your substrate depth is 4", use a 1" casing layer." You mean the total depth of the casing (which I assume means my 50/50+ layer and the colonized mycelium) is 4" where 1" is my colonized mycelium and 3" is my 50/50+ layer. Do I have it right now???? When you say casing layer I would assume it means the 50/50+ but I guess that's referring to the colonized mycelium. Sorry for the noob question but I'm just making sure that I understand.

Also, hyphaeModerator says not to go over 1". I'm assuming you mean 1" colonized mycelium. This means you would have 3" of 50/50+ on top of the 1" mycelium. Then you say to use less because using 1" makes it have to work harder. That doesn't make sense because the more mycelium under the casing layer (50/50+ layer) would help it grow faster (I think). Could you please clarify for the simple minded (me :P) .... Thanks again guys.

Offlinedivinityinfinity
Hot LittleMuffin

#4517774 - 08/10/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

correct me if im wrong....but isnt calcium carbonate lime in and of itself?

OfflineGamera

Loc: Nonlocal
    #4517827 - 08/10/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

1. Use calcium carbonate, not hydrated lime. They are not the same. http://www.lime.org/faqs.html

2. Lets say you crumble up all your PF jars and put them in a tray. Lets say the total depth of your crumbled cakes is 3 inches. Put one inch or so of casing mix on top of that. Then wait for the casing mix to fully colonize, then initiate pinning.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4518023 - 08/10/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

#1 Working with peat based casing mixes you'll want to use a bit of hydrated lime (short term buffer) as well as a long term buffer (limestone flour, chalk. etc;).
#2 just use a casing mix thickness of 3/8-5/8th's and you'll be golden. Sounds like there is definitely some confusion which needs to be cleared up. Example: 4" of colonized substrate will require 3/4-1" of casing mix on top of the colonized substrate. 2" of colonized substrate requires 3/8th's to 5/8ths covering of casing mix, now mind you this is my personal preference and will work awesome for everyone else as well. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinebob_smith93456
Bad MotherChicken
    #4518071 - 08/10/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ahhh, right on, I had it backwards.  I thought I should have more 50/50+ casing mix than the colonized substrate.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Wish me luck :smile:  I'll post pics when they start growing.

I have oyster shells, I just need to get ahold of some calcium carbonate.

OfflineGamera

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: hyphae]
    #4518091 - 08/10/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
#1 Working with peat based casing mixes you'll want to use a bit of hydrated lime (short term buffer) as well as a long term buffer (limestone flour, chalk. etc;).

I stand corrected

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Offlinebob_smith93456
Bad MotherChicken
Re: Conflicting information on casing [Re: Gamera]
    #4520449 - 08/10/05 11:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hyphae, do you use hydrated lime or calcium carbonate in your 50/50+ mix? Also, do you do the 1/2" wet verm as a bottom layer?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4521292 - 08/11/05 05:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I use both, a good casing mix contains both a short term buffer (hydrated lime) and a long term buffer ( calcium carbonate, oystershell, etc;). The bottom layer has gotten lots of misinformation, it was suppose to be semi-dry layer that would absorb excess moisture from over watering. Understand a wet layer underneath is not able to transpire this can result in anerobic bacterial infection. GL guys

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck