Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerachsrib
To fly you mustjump and forgetto hit theground

First try failure
    #4510853 - 08/08/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So i followed the PFtek word for word except i didnt use a pressure cooker, i just boiled water for an hour or so and 3 days later all my jars have this green mold taking over at all 4 inoculation sites. is this because i didnt use the pressure cooker? can this contam be reversed or can i save any jars? Also should i seal up the injection sites at the top of the jars?

--------------------
"My father once said: If your afraid to die, make yourself hard to kill."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: First try failure [Re: rachsrib]
    #4510935 - 08/08/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

im afraid the jars are long gone. Using a pressure cooker is extrememly important. Try to buy a pc. they are not cheap but well worth it. your pc will also come in handy when you need to sterile you make syringes from print and sterilizing your casing down the road.

peace.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: First try failure [Re: gema]
    #4514017 - 08/09/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you only boiled for an hour, chances are the center of the jars never reached boiling temperature. A PC is best, but if you can't afford one, boil much longer.

That being said, since the mold is originating from the injection sites, the mold was introduced at inoculation. It' extremely important to use a glove box, flame sterilize your needle until it's red hot, then squirt out a bit of solution to cool the needle before injecting it into your jar. Wear latex gloves. Remember, YOU as the grower are the greatest source of contamination in mushroom growing.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinerachsrib

Re: First try failure [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4514746 - 08/09/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, so you think it is not so much the boiling but the sanitation of the air when i injected?

--------------------

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: First try failure [Re: rachsrib]
    #4515990 - 08/09/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've boiled jars for 30 mins and gotten them to colonize and fruit. However, this is only for the most fortunate. Boiling for 1.5 hours results in roughly 50% contam rates for me. It IS possible to grow without a PC, you just have to go into it expecting contams.

Offlinedivinityinfinity
Hot LittleMuffin

Re: First try failure [Re: gema]
    #4517344 - 08/10/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gema said:
im afraid the jars are long gone. Using a pressure cooker is extrememly important. Try to buy a pc. they are not cheap but well worth it. your pc will also come in handy when you need to sterile you make syringes from print and sterilizing your casing down the road.

peace.

I disagree. Ive done four grows now all with boiling water and only 2 contaminated jars out of maybe 30. I think although the pressure cooker is a convieient and helpful tool, its not nessicary. Just make sure you let them boil for a full hour.

Im sorry they got contamned, maybe next time try to have a more sterile environment overall

Offlinerachsrib

Re: First try failure [Re: divinityinfinity]
    #4517716 - 08/10/05 10:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i tried a few jars again last night makeing sure i was as sterile as possible so we will see what happens

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds