Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Mycobags, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

a silly bag question re: air exchange
    #4515659 - 08/09/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

hey guys-
i have a question about the air filter on my mycobag.
i have a fully colonized (ecuador/grain) bag that has been dropped 10 degrees in temp and given a natural light and dark schedule for about 11 days. so i am waiting for pins. i've already decided not to open the bag.
would it be beneficial at all to point a fan at the bag? would this do anything to the air exchange/quality inside of the bag? would it dry the bag out? i guess i don't fully understand what the air filter really does.
i would appreciate any light you could shed on this subject.  :thumbup:

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: a silly bag question re: air exchange [Re: TrippingDuality]
    #4515699 - 08/09/05 09:59 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

The airfilter is there to let the substrate "breathe" while filtering out any contams. I dont know about pointing a fan at the bag, i do know that blowing air directly over your substrate will dry it out and open it up to contams. Dont even know if pointing a fan at you bag would be beneficial either.

Are you able to make a casing out of your bag?

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: a silly bag question re: air exchange [Re: coda]
    #4516689 - 08/10/05 01:33 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

i could just open the bag to give air exchange, maybe a mist and then clip the bag back up.
or i guess i could cut it out of the bag and throw some verm on top and bottom in rubbermaid terrarium w/ perlite.
none of the home depots or fred meyer garden centers around here have verm. but i have a couple other places to look into.
if i did decide to break 'er open would you suggest dunking first?
or should i just check myself before i wreck myself and wait longer for pins? :wink:

anyone else have any thoughts on the air filter question?

--------------------

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4518589 - 08/10/05 04:43 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

anyone? :smile:

oh i found a place to get verm today! yay!

ok can someone please tell me if this plan sounds good?

1. fill colonized bag with distilled water, clip and put in fridge for about 12 hours

2. soak perlite in h20 and peroxide for about an hour, then line the bottom of a rubbermaid with about 2 inches of the moist perlite. it should be moist but not dripping.

3. drain the water and cut the bag away from the cake and place on a piece of foil on top of the perlite.

4. nuke some wet verm, cool, and roll cake in it (or just put some on top and bottom ,or just top? this is where i'm confused.)

5. fan daily and mist when needed keeping temps in the 70-75 range.

please tell me if this sounds like a good course of action! i am going to try to go pick up the verm today, i want to get this going asap! thanks for taking the time to even read this babbling.

--------------------

OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
    #4518607 - 08/10/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

That sounds good except i would sterilize the verm in a quart jar in a pc instead of the microwave (disregard if lacking a pc), and also if you have a bag of colonized substrate it might be easier and better to case instead of trying to dunk and roll.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4518612 - 08/10/05 04:51 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

when you drain the water from the bag use one of the grates in your stove, invert the bag and slide the opening through it, have a pan on the bottom to catch the excess water, it'll take about 3 hours to fully drain...

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: a silly bag question re: air exchange [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4518667 - 08/10/05 05:11 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

hey guys do i really need verm? what if i was to dunk the bag, drain and just clip the bag back up? would i still need verm? i dont have a PC and i just read about verm turning moldy if it's not sterlized.
do you think a dunk is even necessary since i haven't had a first flush? the moisture content of the bag seems very good.
i'm confused....i dont know what's holding up pinning. the only thing i could think of was fresh air exchange. that's what made me wonder about the air filter patch in the first place.

thank you so much shroomery gods and goddesses

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4519190 - 08/10/05 08:02 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

verm is sterile straight out of the bag, if you're really worried about it, hydrate it to field capacity, stick it in the microwave, 5 min on high stir then another 5, let cool and add in. Make SURE you have the verm hydrated otherwise you're gonna fuck your microwave up.

Verm is good because it provides constant moisture to the whole surface of your substrate. This initiates a bigger and better pinset with heavier fruits. The more water, without going overboard, you have the better. If you decide to open your bag and dunk, id def look into some verm to throw in there just to keep things at an even keel. GL!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4519759 - 08/10/05 10:51 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

guess what
i got home from work today and to my delight

i have 2 pins

wow. i'm speechless.

how did they know i was thinkin about them all freakin day. hehehe.

coda you always post such nice replies to my questions, i really appreciate it more than you know.

so *fingers crossed* if all goes well i will fruit this first flush in the bag as planned, then dunk and roll for 2nd flush :smile:
i'm wondering if it's possible pointing that fan at the bag all day yesterday was a help for these little pins. either way i'm greatful for all the help  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4520070 - 08/10/05 11:54 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

FAE is crucial to pin formation, so yes, the fan may have had a part to play in it.  But more then likely it was just working it's way up and taking its time.

Congrats!!! 5 shrooms for you, you stuck it out, and now there's your reward!  Keep watching your bags, you should see a bunch more of the little guys pop up pretty soon.  Expect about a week for it to finish up and then all you have left is drying them out and munching them down :smile:

Honestly this is the best part, i got sad both times i harvested because i had nothing to look at when i went into my room.  The mushrooms are much more beautiful then any of the pics on the site make them out to be.  I couldnt stop staring at some of my cakes on the first trip i took, those cakes are pretty much burned into my memory now lol.  Enjoy!

--------------------

-JG

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

#4520345 - 08/11/05 12:59 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Like Coda suggested, you can sterilize the verm in the mikey. 2 cups verm 1 cup water and 3min on high is fine(5min for coir or peat). If you don't use water, hot verm will burn through ANY plastic container you have.

--------------------
Don't I look like I'm serious...

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: a silly bag question re: air exchange [Re: Juan_del_Pueblo]
    #4521493 - 08/11/05 12:01 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

hehehehehe thanks you guys
at least 3 more visible pins when i peeked this morning.
they are beautiful little things with copper colored caps.
oooooh thanks for the kudos!!!!
i think i'm in love :smile: heheh

--------------------

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4529949 - 08/13/05 01:21 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

pins pins pins everywhere
a little bruising too which almost made me poop my pants yesterday in dismay (contam worries)
about 4 SHROOMS :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4530586 - 08/13/05 05:28 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Yah, dont worry about the brusing especially if you've been fondling your bag too much :wink:  If you dont have one, go buy a tweezer.  The little ones are a bitch to get off without one.  Almost there!

--------------------

-JG

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Mycobags, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation