Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Straw Pasteurizing Using Oven Bags
    #4514975 - 08/09/05 05:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys,
Has anyone tried pasteurizing straw using oven bags? I've seen them used to sterilize straw in a few instances (oven bag tek) but wondered if you could just fill up your oven bag with straw, dump a whole bunch of water in there, then drain it after it pasteurizes for an hour and a half or so at 160 degrees. I think it should work, and it would save buying a huge pot for boiling. Plus you could do a couple bags full at a time.....any ideas/experiences?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebemmers1
Re: Straw Pasteurizing Using Oven Bags [Re: bemmers1]
    #4518898 - 08/10/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

bump

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4518921 - 08/10/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

It wouldnt hold the temperature.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
Re: Straw Pasteurizing Using Oven Bags [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4519610 - 08/10/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What do you mean by "hold the temperature". Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement, but aren't oven bags made for poultry- big heavy juicy ones like turkey? They are baked at 350 for like 3 or 4 hours. I did my last casing (agaricus) in an oven bag @ 170 (lowest setting) for 2 hours. Aren't they made of the same material as spawn bags? All is well. But maybe I'm not getting what you are saying and maybe i have been lucky.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw Pasteurizing Using Oven Bags [Re: LynxRufus]
    #4519778 - 08/10/05 10:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

MEANING, he said "dump 160 degree water into the bag"...the water in the bag will not REMAIN 160 degrees for the amount of time needed to pasteurize. He's trying to get out of using a pot or anything in which to heat it. I suppose you could put the bags in the oven in a pot, but then you could just fill the pot with straw and water...and theres still that whole bot thing. I guess a flat pan in the oven would work..those bags cant touch the top though and it just seems like a real pain. Heres my little straw pasteurizer though..30 doller thermodyne hotplate (lab style) off ebay, 15 dollar trash can, sealed with 100% silicone:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinebemmers1
    #4520047 - 08/10/05 11:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Do you think the temps in the bag would be hot enough if you put them in a tray and covered with tin foil?  Just a thought.  You would probably have to pasteurize a little longer.  I used to use the oven bag tek, but what it fails to mention is the danger of expanding oven bags in the pressure cooker....hahaha, I can laugh about it now, but when I thought someone shot off a shotgun in my kitchen I failed to find the humour.  I have actually got ahold of a big electric roaster, so I guess I'll use that to pasteurize.  Thought the oven bag might work though :smile:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4520069 - 08/10/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Oven bags expand in the PC..thats common PC knowledge, should have read the FAQ on sterilization :smile: You put a plate or something on top to keep them from the vents.

I still dont think your idea would work...there is a tek (again in the FAQ here) where you can use two nested rubbermaids, then fill the inner one with straw and 185 degree water (start higher so as it drops off its still in range). Then leave it for 2-3 hours..that will hold in heat, then you can strain it. No reason for the bags though if you just put them in a big container and cover with foil..just remove the bags and put right in the container :shrug: I dont know how well it will work. A litle lime and bleech might help, but you need to go read up on those chemical pasteurization of straw before adding those, I dont know the amounts or anything on that...

--------------------

Offlinebemmers1
    #4520103 - 08/11/05 12:03 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hahaha,don't get me wrong, the minor explosion in the kitchen was definately my fault.  I see myself as a fairly logical person, and after it happened I felt retarded for sure.  I'll stick to using it for sterilizing jars for sure :smile:  I think you're right, seems like a lot of work for sure.  I'll just buy a pillowcase and toss it in the roaster, hahaha.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation