Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekimikiri
Sometimes

Loc: Growing Outwards
Fruiting Chamber Bubble Wand Questions...
    #4514751 - 08/09/05 04:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was planning on adding 2 18" Bubble Wands to the bottom of my new fruiting chamber. Would it be better to use them underneath lava rocks, or under perlite soaked in water? Also, will the air pump be pushing unwanted contams into the chamber...? Someone once suggested placing the wands inside a shoebox filled with polyfil. I was thinking of placing the wands inside a PVC pipe section that was stuffed with polyfil and had small holes drilled into it. Would this be a viable solution? Would it be wise to cut several 1" diameter holes in the chamber and cover/seal them with tyvek to allow air exchange? I am trying to build a chamber that has little to no maintenance required once it is up and running, as I do not have time to fan one 6+ times a day.

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Fruiting Chamber Bubble Wand Questions... [Re: kimikiri]
    #4514785 - 08/09/05 04:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

if you are worried about pumping in contams then go here: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/24205

put your bubble wands in the bottom cover with the lava rock and add water. i myself wouldn't use perlite as it will tend to float up in the water.
definitely would not do the polyfil thing, once it got wet it wouldn't do anything to help keep contams out.
you should drill/cut some holes in the chamber and either the tyvek or polyfil will work. do some holes at about the height of the casing in the tub. this will help co2 escape from the tub. i haven't used tyvek in this application but don't see why it wouldn't work, no probs with the polyfil though.
a good coolmist humidifier would be great for your air exchanges, pretty easy to set up as well.

good luck to ya
peace

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4514806 - 08/09/05 05:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

it would be better to have the wands under geolite.

you can use an aquarium air pump without worrying too much about contams.

the air will be filtered through the water inside the fruiting chamber anyway.

or if you are really anal like I used to be you could do this...

you take the bottom off the aquarium air pump.
put a filter disc over where the bottom was.
and put the rubber bottom where the top was.
Then duct tape it all up.

or you could put an aquarium air pump into a small container.
cut out a hole for the air line...tightly fit.
and cut out a large hole in the lid...and put a filter disc over the cut out in the lid.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineGamera
Dumbass

Loc: Nonlocal
    #4515071 - 08/09/05 06:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am putting together a similar chamber for the same reasons.

Like RK said, the air is filtered through the water so that traps the contaminants (some people recommend putting some bleach or h2o2 in the water for good measure, I think as long as you clean it out periodically you are probably fine) although you could pre-filter the air going into the pump (not coming out of the wands).

You probably don't need to cut holes in the fruiting chamber - there are usually holes in the rubbermaid (under the handles) and the positive pressure from the air pump is going to keep air blowing out so no contaminants will fall in. More holes is probably going to end up dropping the humidity and the air exchange is going to be adequate with the pump running, so no worries.

What pump are you getting by the way? I am shopping around right now.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Offlinekimikiri
Sometimes

Loc: Growing Outwards
Re: Fruiting Chamber Bubble Wand Questions... [Re: Gamera]
    #4515119 - 08/09/05 06:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gamera said:

You probably don't need to cut holes in the fruiting chamber - there are usually holes in the rubbermaid (under the handles) and the positive pressure from the air pump is going to keep air blowing out so no contaminants will fall in. More holes is probably going to end up dropping the humidity and the air exchange is going to be adequate with the pump running, so no worries.

What pump are you getting by the way? I am shopping around right now.

I see what you are saying here... looks like no extra holes will be needed. I picked up a 20-60 gallon double outlet Aqua Culture pump for $10, hopefully it works out ok.

hehe... and they say weed turns you into a carpenter...

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4515120 - 08/09/05 06:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry gamera but the holes in the sides of the container should be put there. the little holes in the handles at the top of the container just wouldn't be enough to allow an adequate air exchange imo.
i have had no trouble keeping the humidity high enough in the tubs while having 4 1" holes around the tub at casing height allowing for ease of co2 exchange.

peace

OfflineGamera
Dumbass

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: Fruiting Chamber Bubble Wand Questions... [Re: backupwards]
    #4515138 - 08/09/05 06:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will defer to backupwards' expertise on that issue.

The PMP tek suggests small holes at the top, but I doubt that would be necessary. Whatever air is pumped in is displacing air in the tub and its getting out somehow. Those holes would be essential for a monotub set up, but there you have no forced air exchange.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4515312 - 08/09/05 07:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

no expert here gamera, just my opinion.
why do you think the pmp tek suggests putting the holes there? top or bottom, either way it is allowing for more/easier air exchange.

if it would be a mono tub or a pmp, both need adequate air exchange, i just don't believe that the holes in the handles is enough. that is my opinion and i am sticking to it.
peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation