Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Using spent horse poo to spawn?
    #4514687 - 08/09/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I was wondering something. When my h/poo is spent and has stopped flushing, could I crumble it and mix it in with some freshly pasturized poo? I mean, if the spent poo is 100% colonized and contaminant free, wouldn't it colonize the fresh poo? Has anyone tried this with success? If anyone has any pros/cons they think would be associated with doing this, please let me know.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using spent horse poo to spawn? [Re: FooMan]
    #4514742 - 08/09/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You could once or twice, but remember, just because there are no contams growing on it, doesnt mean there arent any contaminant spores that the mycelium just wont let germinate, or that theres no nutrients to germinate. Even if theres a few spores, dung should be able to fight it off..but its a slight more risk that the casing wont work because of it then if you used fresh spawn.

Besides that, you'll tire out the mycelium after a while. Its the same mycelium colonizing the new poo, that originally colonized the jar..you have to think of their cells as replicating, and after so much replication, break downs occur. The spawn will get slower and fruit poorer, and if you did it a few times it could stall out before finishing. The more spawn you use to and the less new poo you use the better though, since each generation it has to work less.

It only take 2 weeks to create new jars of spawn though, and it takes a casing at least 3 or 4 to fruit, so its so easy to create new stuff..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using spent horse poo to spawn? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4514786 - 08/09/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Good points. I was wondering why I had never heard about anyone doing this. You always hear about G2G transfers, but never P2P. Thanks for the tips and I guess I'll just let my myc rest :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using spent horse poo to spawn? [Re: FooMan]
    #4514802 - 08/09/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You know, I got a really old casing, that I already broke up after 3 flushes (2 casings into one thicker one) and its given me quite a bit more...I also happen to have alot of extra horse poo that is wet and needs to be used now..I think I'm gonna give it a shot and make a really big friggen casing out of it with some old poo...just to see what happens. The casings are on their 6th flush now..and I was gonna have to toss the poo, couldnt figure out what to d with it..thanks for reminding me this idea can occasionally serve a purpose though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation