Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Something to Ponder [Re: Guerrilla0726]
    #4513936 - 08/09/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Guerrilla, when I asked about experiencing gravity, I meant being able to know that you are falling, dropping quickly or that without holding your arm up with muscle contractions that it drops.

I opened a can of worms for myself on this one. It's turning out to be very complex and I can't seem to find specific information so easily doing a google search. Learning about proprioception added another scientific 6th sense dynamic I didn't know existed until last night.

I need medical books. For example, I read that babies don't make it past infancy with out the touch sense , yet there are children out there who have made to age 6 with hundreds of broken bones, who don't feel pain.

The touch sense is broken up into many aspects and never systems. That's where it gets complicated. I still can't find information on why local Anesthesia cuts off, pain, pleasure, hot and cold touch nerves but not pressure ones.

I'm learning new stuff about the human body during this pondering so it's all cool still.

Hey Tren,

Regarding AI robots to resemble humans, I know you are hot on this research and development, how is the sense of proprioception factored in, or is it not a factor when dealing with robotics?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: Something to Ponder [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4516616 - 08/09/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

out of curiosity, what specific information are you looking for jiggy?

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Something to Ponder [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4516657 - 08/09/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Why? Do you want to help me google search? :lol:

At this point, for alternative reasons, I want to know why the touch sense nerve system is so fucking complicated:lol:

Seriously,

What part of the nervous system senses G force pulls? Is inner body pressure sensory perception related to a pressure nerve or proprioception or are those two the same thing? Where are the internal nerves that sense quick drops/falling or G force pulls located in the body? Why does local anesthesia numb pain, pleasure, hot and cold nerve endings but not pressure sensing ones?

Got milk or answers?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

#4516788 - 08/10/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow, i feel like an asshole for asking that question.

sorry, no answers here.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Something to Ponder [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4516810 - 08/10/05 12:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

no........it was thoughtful of you to and I appreciate the interest.

:flowers:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

#4516838 - 08/10/05 12:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:grin:  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineFiveLights
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #4516844 - 08/10/05 12:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You might try looking into what's known as the Hard Problem of Consciousness, which is basically the problem of explaining the existence of qualia. I don't think it's necessarily going to answer your question, but to ask "What's it like to be devoid of all experience?" you might want to ask, "What's it like to experience anything?" David Chalmers writes:

The really hard problem of consciousness is the problem of experience. When we think and perceive, there is a whir of information-processing, but there is also a subjective aspect. As Nagel (1974) has put it, there is something it is like to be a conscious organism. This subjective aspect is experience. When we see, for example, we experience visual sensations: the felt quality of redness, the experience of dark and light, the quality of depth in a visual field. Other experiences go along with perception in different modalities: the sound of a clarinet, the smell of mothballs. Then there are bodily sensations, from pains to orgasms; mental images that are conjured up internally; the felt quality of emotion, and the experience of a stream of conscious thought. What unites all of these states is that there is something it is like to be in them. All of them are states of experience.

Here's a convenient google search: http://www.google.com/search?q=the%20hard%20problem%20of%20consciousness&hl=en

(The first link is the one I quoted from. I'm really not sure, but it seems to be a famous paper on the subject)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Something to Ponder [Re: FiveLights]
    #4516877 - 08/10/05 01:08 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks fivelights! :flowers:

Welcome to S&P!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4530193 - 08/13/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Hey Tren,

Regarding AI robots to resemble humans, I know you are hot on this research and development, how is the sense of proprioception factored in, or is it not a factor when dealing with robotics?

Well I don't think it's much of a problem. When programming a robot you necessarily must be able to determine the position of various actuators being used as muscles. Without this kind of feedback you would have no way of programming the robot to move properly - I doubt it would function very well at all without at least some feedback from the motors and servos.

For an AI (this is just speculation on my part) I expect it would be able to monitor the exact spatial location of it's body parts (if in a human-robot form) to a much higher degree than humans can. Wheras we "experience" the sensation of our arm being in front or behind us, a robot/AI would know the exact spatial location of every point on its arm due to the precision of the feedback elements.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4530240 - 08/13/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
A baby is born with a freak disorder. It has no touch nerve, smell, sight, sound or taste sense perception.

It still would be able to feel emotions, have full control over it's muscles and have full brain function.

HOW would they feel emotions?

IMO "feeling" (the term) is just for pleasure, pain, and indifference which can accompany sensations, you are saying there are no sensations.

yet there may be mental sensations, and if so, there may be mental pain, such as the everpresent sense of loss (misfires -loss of synch), or mental pleasures such as satisfying rhythms (autistic ones have lots of that).

if there is any emotion, which for us includes outbursts of physical memory and sensation with clouds of hormone,
for this isolated person the emotion would be all mental: very hard for us to relate to, but it would likely exist and it would likely use hormones to attempt to sustain the emotional mindstates as we do but the feedback loop would be weaker than ours which feeds back into body before getting back into mind.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom