Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLipaYai5
Fuzzy

Loc: Mamunia... whoaaooo.
bruised cakes could mean ???
    #4510890 - 08/08/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

HI! my friend who's visiting from alpaca asked me what bruised cakes could mean. she said they were in low humidity for a while, and I asked her what she meant. She said "about 57% for ~3 hours!" I told her I thought the bruising was from that, because from what I've read, the cakes are to be kept >90% for the most part.

She still encouraged me to post her question on an angle concerning contam. She's afraid the inside of the cake could be contaminated. I told her that it's unlikely that would be the problem, because the inside is not exposed to the air outside, and would be less likely to contam. She still wants to know if it's happened to anyone, so please if you have suggestions, let me know so I can inform her. She also wants to know if the bruising of cakes affect in any way the potency of the mushrooms grown off of the cakes.

Thank you!
-LY5

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePupenhause
Toughguy
Male User Gallery
Loc: over here
Re: bruised cakes could mean ??? [Re: LipaYai5]
    #4511003 - 08/08/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i think cause they are getting dry.

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Loc: The Autobahn
Re: bruised cakes could mean ??? [Re: Pupenhause]
    #4511020 - 08/08/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I would say it definitely sounds like a dryness issue, give some good mistings. Also- was there any handling, how long have they been birthed and did you dunk?

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: bruised cakes could mean ??? [Re: LipaYai5]
    #4511208 - 08/08/05 07:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

bruising could be caused by handling of the cake from the time it was birthed, or because of moisture problems. at 57RH the cakes are probably drying out.

Usually, what you want to do is do a dunk and roll before putting into the fruiting chamber to replenish the moisture.

you will need to get your RH up first though...that is a major problem.

Cakes that are bruised usually will recover in a couple of days, and no, it won't effect the potency of your mushies.

Contams sometimes hide themselves. If the cake had a contam to begin with, the mycelium could sometimes grow over it and, yes, it could be in the middle. I don't think that is the case with these...it is an RH problem here.

if you want to be certain, get a q-tip and gently rub over the "blue" area, if nothing comes off yer fine, if something comes off, it's contam.

Continue to mist your cake a few times a day and get your humidity up. Make sure you do a dunk and roll for your next flush.

hope that answered everything...GL TO YA.

OfflineLipaYai5
Fuzzy

Loc: Mamunia... whoaaooo.
Re: bruised cakes could mean ??? [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4515207 - 08/09/05 07:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

She thanks you for the advice.  Since I don't know how to dunk a cake, I'll have to look up a good Tek on it.  Also she said the RH prob was resolved by using perlite, and she's got high humidity now.  She said the bruising is probably not contams, because the swab test with a Q-tip didn't result in anything coming off of the cake.  She also noted that she has handled the cakes fairly little, but with sterylized latex gloves.    Dunking will be something fun for her to learn about :smile:

THanks again!
-LY5

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation