Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethe_buried
non-believer
 User Gallery

Loc: FL.
optimum temp...
    #4509844 - 08/08/05 09:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

whats up shroomery.org. i'm a brand new shroom cultivator. i got my cakes and syringes online and i have a couple questions that i haven't seen in the posts or the TEKs. what are the optimal teperatures for colinizing B+ spore cakes.

-i'm using a mix of brown rice flour and vermiculite.

its only been 3 days since i inoculated them. after inoculation, i placed them in individual baggies and put them on the top shelf of my cabinet. since i live in florida, i keep the AC runing all the time so its pretty cold in my house. i decided that it would be a good idea to put them outside and cover them up with dish towels. is that a good idea or could that be a bad thing.
thanks a lot,
the_buried

Edited by Roadkill (08/08/05 01:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Re: optimum temp... [Re: the_buried]
    #4509851 - 08/08/05 09:47 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Try to maintain 83? a little lower or higher is ok, but don't let it change too extreme.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4509856 - 08/08/05 09:50 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

welcome to the shroomery, a great bunch of peeps here to help you out. read everything you can, use the search feature and you can find most of the answers that you can ask. most.

go here and read: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23019

cubies are cubies pretty much when it comes to growth parameters, your colonization will be optimal at temps around 84-86, not any hotter. cooler they will colonize slower but will not hurt the myc.

get them out of the baggies, if the jars have the dry vermiculite layer on top then you don't need them. they do need to be able to have gas exchange for the myc to colonize.
you put them outside, like outside your house. no bring them back indoors and read about a TiT or an incubator of some kind. it is probably way to hot outside for them and it is a contam fest waiting to happpen.

read read read, this will help you out tremendously.

good luck
peace

Offlinethe_buried
non-believer
 User Gallery

Re: optimum temp... [Re: backupwards]
    #4510081 - 08/08/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

alright, thanks guys. i'll bring em' back inside as soon as i get done repying to this post. i bought a big container and i plan to keep the humidity up with perlite and h2o2/water mix. i'll put the jars in the container and put a heating pad on low underneath it.

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
    #4510084 - 08/08/05 12:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Don't worry about humidity until your jars are fully colonized. You don't want more moisture in the air than necessary, that's why you put water in the jars while mixing the substrate.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: optimum temp... [Re: Newbie]
    #4510107 - 08/08/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

agar says humidity is good in the incubator. i added humidity to mine and i think he's right.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinethe_buried
non-believer
 User Gallery

Re: optimum temp... [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #4511750 - 08/08/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

alright, i brought the cakes back inside and i placed them in my container. to keep air circulating through, i drilled two small holes in the sides and ran air tubes into both of them. i bought a little air pump from wal-mart. i also bought a haeting pad to put underneath the container. so far after checking the temp throughout the day, its been in between 78-80 degrees. i would put the heating pad on high, but i don't think i want to risk temps higher than recommended.

i also read about the colonizing chamber somewhere. take two containers and stack one on top of the other. put half-pint jars (or something to space the containers) in the first container, place a submersible water heater in it, then fill it half way up with water. place the second container into the warm water and put the cakes in it. cover it up with the lid. voila...you're at a constant 84 degrees. here's the link (although you guys have seen this method many times)...http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm
the_buried

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4512377 - 08/09/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Incubate at 82-84F. which is the optimum range taking into account the heat generated by the myc itself as it consumes the substrate. Maintaining RH at this stage is unnecessary as the semi-sealed jars maintain the required RH just fine.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation