Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Removing the "pith"?
    #4509526 - 08/08/05 02:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have been around mushrooms for quite awhile and know a substantial amount about them. However, a close friend has told me something I've never heard of.

He had some mushrooms and was talking them up somewhat. He started explaining how these mushrooms he had were super potent because they hadn't had, what he called, the pith inside removed.

He went on to explain that a lot of mushrooms sold on the market have this layer of "pith" inside removed before selling and he says that, that layer of pith has the highest concentration of psilocybin.

I'm sorry, but this sounds ludicrous. I tried to give him some sort of rebuttal...but I had nothing. He strongly believes this like it's fact, although most of the facts he had were coming from "he says, she says" sort of stuff. He's been a friend for a long time, we hang out every now and then and whatnot...and he's not an idiot by any means. To be honest, he's one of my more intelligent friends. So when he's talking, it makes a lot of sense.

But I've never heard of this and highly doubt it? Anyone have any idea what he's talking about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: Spooge]
    #4509551 - 08/08/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nope, sounds like bs to me.

I've never heard of a pith inside a mushroom, and especially why they would be removed before selling if they are so potent.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4509556 - 08/08/05 03:15 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah supposedly the "grower" keeps the good part(pith) for himself.

I think it's just another marketing gimmick. It's hard to tell my friend otherwise because normally he is failry knowledgeable(sp?) and I consider him pretty bright. So when he's dead set on this idea and I don't know much about it....I can't say much other than, "I dunno man...".

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4509588 - 08/08/05 03:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, I can understand that.  I have some friends that are that way too.

:banghead:

Pith is an ingredient used in Coco Coir, a casing for the top layer of a casing when growing shrooms.  But that is as related as it gets.  There is no part of it that grows into the shrooms that is removed for more potency or anything.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #4509603 - 08/08/05 03:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks...maybe I can show him this topic and get him to post.  We'll see.

It seems there's lots of "these shrooms are so good because..." gimmicks out there!

I like the one, "man, these mushrooms were grown with the fancy hydroponics that weed is grown with...so you know they are going to be good!"...  :smirk:

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4509631 - 08/08/05 03:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

True, true,

There are a few things though that will change the potency, like the ingredients used to make the substrate in which it is grown. From using Brown Rice Flour (weak) to spawning to Horse dung (strong)- which makes very potent shrooms.

So, if he says that the good ones are grown on horse manure, he knows what he is talking about. But from the sounds of it, he doesn't

OfflineLazyCrash
I like gas.
Male User Gallery

Loc: T-Town
    #4509915 - 08/08/05 08:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

All bags of drugs should come with a label..."Go to erowid.org before ingesting and stop being an idiot."

--------------------
:mallow:

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: LazyCrash]
    #4510037 - 08/08/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well, for anyone who has ever grown or picked shrooms, its pretty obvious that they do not have any pith to remove.

but many mushrooms do have hollow stems. maby someone noticed this when buying dried mushrooms and dreamed up some conspiracy theory involving stolen piths and evil growers of pychadelics...

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4510099 - 08/08/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What a bunch of bullshit...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4510613 - 08/08/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

maybe he was referring to the veil being broken?

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: coda]
    #4511820 - 08/08/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
maybe he was referring to the veil being broken?

No, this guy is an idiot.  :foshizzle:

Offlinesamlernihan1
Stranger

Loc: ny
    #4511832 - 08/08/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i have a friend like that thinks that because hes smoked hash and i havent he knows everything but he tells me that you cannot make it it has to be grown and its a layer in the weed plant right in the stalk or stem. Hes full of shit i know it but he of course cannot be wrong.

--------------------
i could die for you
o this life i choose
im hear to be your only go between
to tell you of the sights these eyes have seen
what i really wana do is turn it into motion beauty that i can abuse

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #4513090 - 08/09/05 01:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I talked to him today stating facts that they wasn't "pith" inside the mushroom. I talked to him about how it was probably just another, "these mushrooms are so good..." marketing ploys.

I had enough arguement to get him to be like, "oh well maybe, I guess that's possible". So he still probably doesn't believe it, but I wasn't wordless this time.

Each to his own though. He's a smart guy, I'm sure if he did the research, he'd agree.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4513147 - 08/09/05 01:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Doesnt sound very smart to me. A truely intelligent person is totally understanding of other peoples perspectives and is willing to take the time to fully investigate someone elses opinion on a matter in order to view every side of the case and come to a good and respectable conclusion.
I thought about it for a while and i think i know where your friend got this "pith" idea. "Pith" would be referring to the middle, so he would have to be talking about the middle of the stem (i cant imagine someone taking out the middle of the cap...). And it is true that, in age, cube stems will become hollow, when at the immature (and more potent) stage, the stem is solid.
This theory accounts for the pith being removed and the loss of potency when it happens.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Removing the "pith"? [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4513295 - 08/09/05 02:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

That makes total sense.  So someone isn't "removing" the middle, just after a certain amount of time the stem becomes hollow.

Yes, that was what he was talking about though.  The hollow stems.  I'll let him know it isn't pith and that someone isn't taking it out intentionally. thanks a lot  :thumbup:

InvisibleRobMarley420
LSD Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
    #4513366 - 08/09/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If i have'nt read it on the shroomery, it's not true.

The kid's talking shit.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom