Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlackhart
DwnWthVwls
 User Gallery

Loc: Marmalade Sky
It's the waiting that kills ya!
    #4508328 - 08/07/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

They say "a watched pot never boils.",well physics and a watch will tell you that's simply not true. But a watched casing NEVER grows. I'm on my first.After 2 kits I decided to go it alone.it took forever to watch the one jar of 4 that actually colonized. I would make little bets with myself to see where the white would be in say 6 hours from now.Then it became 2 hours,then every commercial break. It got so I'd close my eyes for a moment and open them quickly to see if anything had happened(if something did it was on an astronomically small scale.).Then,waiting a few more days after you're SURE the thing is fully colonized,just to be sure it's gone all the way through.
So then I do my casing. I'm casing one stinking jar.Did I say that too loud? Ohhh,don't let it hear you or you're looking at a couple more agonizing days. Is my casing layer good enough? Too much water? too little? Humidity? Light? Contams? GROW YOU SON OF A BITCH!!
A ha! A couple of my slowpoke other jars are getting the idea. they are starting to come around.Good thing too.'Cuz after I harvest my little/big/huge pretties I'm gonna want more.I'm not going through all that waitning again.
Does this all sound familiar to you shroom vets? Does it get any easier. What if my shrooms grow up to hate me? you work and you work,all for them! you give and you give and the next thing you know...they're all grown up and gone. This is madness.Why do we do it???

--------------------
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...GO GO GODZILLA!

You've begun to matter more than the things you say- JesusChristSuperstar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBoondock
Afoot andlight-hearted
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: Blackhart]
    #4508394 - 08/07/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: Boondock]
    #4508406 - 08/07/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

lol

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4508412 - 08/07/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Boondock said:

lmfao, that is great.

it does get easier, just have the patience to get there. everything you are learning now will make things much easier down the road. leave your jars be, the more you mess with them the more likely you are to get contams or nothing at all.
make sure you stay in the left lane, lol.

peace

OfflineBlackhart
DwnWthVwls
 User Gallery

Loc: Marmalade Sky
    #4508417 - 08/07/05 09:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks boondock. That picture DOES say a thousand words. I'm going to go see if there's any change.......

--------------------
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...GO GO GODZILLA!

You've begun to matter more than the things you say- JesusChristSuperstar

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4508444 - 08/07/05 09:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yeah, great picture man, I think I'll add that to my database for use if you dont mind :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleBoondock
Afoot andlight-hearted
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4508469 - 08/07/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it's the least I can do, YOU, Roadkill, and Hippiechick are my mentors, I've gained so much from ya'lls posts. It's like you 3 are in the mini-van, up ahead, and I'm following.

--------------------
Look within.
Be still.
Free from fear and attachment
know the sweet joy of the way.
Buddha

OfflineRoot
Captain of thethought police

#4509131 - 08/08/05 12:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hilarious thread.  I feel your pain Blackheart.  I'm finishing my first grow while working at home.  I don't know what I did more of these past 2 months, working or staring at cakes trying to mentally will them to grow shrooms. :what:  I almost chucked my cakes when I was fairly certain that the fuzz growing on them was cobweb, but I somehow waited and eventually these things just started sprouting.  Also I read these boards every night, mostly to keep me from staring at my terrarium.  Is it weird to spend a lot of time staring at your terrarium? :oogle: I love it,  its about 10 times better than that new penguin doc, and I fawking love penguins.

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: Root]
    #4509302 - 08/08/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

just wait tilll you hit 40 yrs old and time will fly and waiting will be a whole lot easier.  in fact you will wish it didnt go by so fast

:bongload:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4509758 - 08/08/05 06:27 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

LOL I know exactly what you mean.  Once I finish my first run however, I 'll be less inclined to watch it every 3 hours because I know and I've seen for myself that these techniques DO work and grow better with less disturbance.  I don't remember who said this exactly...*edit*?, but they said it's the equivalent to you walking in on someone having sex.  They're not going to want to continue and it's best to leave them alone for a while :smile: lol peace!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4509781 - 08/08/05 06:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, Pimpin' ain't easy and apparently, neither is growing shrooms. As a suggestion, you may want to try a TIT if you haven't already to help speed up the colonization of your jars. Or you can put them in a cardboard box on top of the fridge to help warm them up some. LOL, I used to do the same thing on my first few grows. A watched jar may indeed grow, but it is a painfully slow experience.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: It's the waiting that kills ya! [Re: FooMan]
    #4509785 - 08/08/05 06:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Also try WBS. When it came to colonization time my WBS spawns DWARFED the brf competition, finishing a week before them. WBS set-up was pretty simple and I even thought I effed it up pretty bad but in 4 days I had a little over 20% colonization.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom