Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4382932 - 07/08/05 05:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah KOTT, I agree completely. I found this really cool website that counts calories and nutritional value for anything you eat, and we just went food shopping last night and bought a ton of healthy stuff to fill me up, instead of junk. I had my first personal training session this morning, just got home. The woman is really cool, and explained a lot to me, answered most of my questions. I'm meeting her again at 6am on tuesday. I think I'm going to go in on my own Monday though, and just do some cardio before work.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Liz]
    #4383760 - 07/08/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Stay strong, and stay there!  :grin:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Fliquid]
    #4384086 - 07/08/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's so hard to get in the habit of eating healthy.  My whole office ordered pizza and subs today while I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, and fruit.  :crazy:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Offlinechonyidbardo
Retinal CircusClown
Loc: Blissful Void
    #4384894 - 07/08/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

excercise/play outside in the summer or when it's nice out... save the gym for days that you can't go outside.

--------------------
The Void is not nothingness
The Void is beginning and end itself

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South
    #4386171 - 07/09/05 06:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ifallapart said:
It's so hard to get in the habit of eating healthy.  My whole office ordered pizza and subs today while I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, and fruit.  :crazy:

Ya know, a while back me and the hubby tried the Atkins diet. It was pretty difficult for us because meat and cheese are pretty freakin expensive compared to starchy processed foods (like totinos party pizzas! mmmmm....) and eventually we abandoned it completely.

Somethin I noticed while on the diet, though... the complete lack of processed sugars made good food taste better. I never really cared much for fruit until I gave up sugars. It's like the intensity of the sweetness of all the oatmeal cookies and soda and crap I was consuming killed by body's natural ability to detect the sweetness in unprocessed foods.

I think you'll notice after a while of laying off sugars and simple carbs the good food that seems so unsatisfying now will soon taste much better.

There's also a book by Dr. Andrew Weil (a guy who also knows a thing or two about growing mushies) called 'Eating Well For Optimum Health: The Essential Guide to Bringing Health and Pleasure Back to Eating' that explained food to me in a way I could understand. It takes the Atkinsy theory of a sugar and processed carbless existence and expands it a little for people who would rather eat a balanced meal then a triple cheeseburger bunless and 1/2 a cup of lettuce.

--------------------

~I was born of a voice untimely,
the so-called echo of a man's ordure~

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #4391461 - 07/11/05 03:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, usually when I try to cut down.. Someone has a birthday at the office and the canteens are filled with cake..  :crazy2:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4393308 - 07/11/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Liz, it sounds like you're off to a great start! Congratulations for loving yourself enough to commit to healthy changes.

I agree with the diet & exercise suggestions made thus far, and would add that interval training (alternating intense cardio with moderate cardio) burns calories like crazy AND increases your endurance AND raises your energy level! It's pretty simple to apply to any cardio workout you are doing by yourself, since you just change the pace of whatever you're doing. I like to do 1 min. fast to 5 mins. moderate, but you can mix it differently "to taste."

I'm sure your trainer will mention this, but just in case she doesn't, "supersets" in weight training build muscle mass quickly. You just do two different exercises for the same muscle group back-to back. Bring it up with your trainer & see if you like it.

Flavored mineral water (not sweetened) is my favorite soda substitute. I dislike artificial sweeteners, but love bubbly drinks, so I switched to Orange or Berry flavored sparkling water.

I wish you well!

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Veritas]
    #4399146 - 07/13/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've gotten into kind of a routine in terms of what I eat.  In the morning I have a banana and oatmeal.  For lunch, I've been bringing lunch to work everyday to avoid being tempted to order out and get something unhealthy.  I bring a bunch of snacks because my trainer told me to eat a bunch of times a day instead of huge meals.  Like, today I brought a piece of string cheese, some grapes, a yogurt, and a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread.  And all I've had to drink in the last week is water.  That's been the hardest adjustment, not drinking all of my calories hehe.  If I DO order out, or go out to eat, I've been sticking to chicken caesar salads.  I have my last meeting with the trainer this coming Friday, then I'm on my own  :crazy: 

So far it hasn't been too hard getting myself up and out of bed, with the exception of this morning.  I took 2 tylenol PM before bed last night, BIG mistake.  I was still exhausted this morning, up until about 10:30, so I slept right through the gym at 6.  But I'm going tomorrow morning, and Friday, so that will be 3 times this week, which is ok.  I'd rather do 4 though. 

Anyways, thanks everyone for all your encouragement and kind words.  If anyone has any snack ideas that are healthy and filling, let me know...eventually I'm going to get bored with what I've been eating.  :heart:

*Liz

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4399830 - 07/13/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Some snacks I like to have at work:

Almonds (Oprah swears by a handful of these to raise energy & quell food cravings.)

Fresh fruit (usually a ruby red grapefruit & an apple)

Whole wheat Ak-Mak crackers

Low-fat microwave popcorn (very filling & I love the smell!)

Organic instant oatmeal (this is great for when I sleep too late & don't get breakfast before I leave for work. Starbuck's is across the street & their pastries call to my empty stomach!!)

Kashi Go Lean bars (Cookies & Cream is my favorite. Lots of fiber and protein.)

Baggie of granola, Kashi cereal, unsweetened shredded wheat squares.

Baggie of celery sticks, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper slices, or any veggie you like to crunch.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Veritas]
    #4418175 - 07/18/05 07:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome suggestions.  I've been eating fruit like crazy, it's so yummy!  Last night I cheated...went out to dinner with my whole family and my boyfriend...my brothers birthday is today and mine is this Saturday, so I had some cake  :shocked:  I'm entitled though, I've been being good for a long time :yesnod:

I've been sticking to my gym schedule, it's still sometimes a challenge to drag my ass out of bed before the sun rises, but it's getting easier.  My legs are sore today, from running on the treadmill.  Or, attempting to run....I usually have to slow back down to a fast walk after a few minutes :lol:

Tomorrow I have my first spin class.  It's a full hour of intense cycling, and it's instructed my the fitness director of my gym.  He also happens to be a professional cyclist.  :crazy:  So I'm a bit nervous I'm going to pass out and fall off the bike halfway through.  Wish me luck  :sun:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #4418420 - 07/18/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It sounds like you're taking all the right steps so just keep doing what your doing and what other people in this thread have said. Just remember that you probably won't see huge improvements in the beginning, but if you stick with it one day you'll look in the mirror, or be able to do something physical that you've never been able to do, and you'll be amazed by the progress you've made.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4418487 - 07/18/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

dont get all lazy and stop going regularly after 2 weeks...

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #4418590 - 07/18/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, the key is to continue that way for the rest of your life.
Or at least continue to eat well.
Stretch a lot, itll help with the soreness :thumbup:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Gus]
    #4418886 - 07/18/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Whew!  I took a spin class about two years ago & it kicked my ass!  I kept trying to keep pace with the experienced cyclers, rather than going at a manageable pace for me!  You might ask the instructor before class if there is a "placeholder" move you can resort to when the move he is doing gets too fast/difficult for you.  Usually just sitting down reduces the intensity, but he might have another suggestion.  I stopped going because my gym buddy was pregnant, and nearly passed out during class!

As to the cake...just remember the 80/20 rule: if 80% of your food intake is nutritious & in line with your dietary needs, it is OK for 20% to be entertainment!  :grin:

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4419867 - 07/18/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Whatever you do just stick with it!  I used to hate cardio, and that was only about a month ago.  I hated it because I was no good at it.  Despite being lean I had no endurance what so ever.  You quickly get better at it if you stick with it though.  I actually started to love running and I even got addicted to the "runner's high."  I started running so often that my knees and ankles started to get sore so I had to cut back  :rolleyes:.

Don't stress out about having to eat out once in a while.  Even pro bodybuilders will have what they call "cheat meals" when you eat something that isn't really the healthiest option.  Maybe a little bit of candy once in a great while.  It helps you keep your sanity so you don't end up going crazy and binging.  You can still make healthy choices even if you go out though.  The last time I went out to a restaurant I ordered a chicken sandwich with no cheese and no mayo and I just ate the chicken and not the bread.  People will look at you weird but at the same time they will admire your dedication.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I finally did it. [Re: Vvellum]
    #4419976 - 07/18/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I actually already lost 8 pounds  :shocked:  I'm really psyched.  I can't go to my spin class tomorrow because a company called me today to set up a job interview for tomorrow morning at 8am.  The spin class goes til 7:15, so I'd never make it in time.  But I'm still gonna hit the gym and do my normal routine, and be out of there by 6:45-7 or so.  I put on a business suit today to wear to my interview tomorrow, it still has the tags on it because it hasn't fit me since I bought it, and it actually FITS.  yay!

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4507030 - 08/07/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I went shopping today for the first time since I started dieting, and I've dropped 2 pants sizes :laugh:  Talk about added motivation  :thumbup:

I'm psyched to see some results already.

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag