Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineofficespace
Stranger
Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help
    #4506293 - 08/07/05 09:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, i am new and was hoping for some help/advice/thoughts on the following:

Apologies in advance for the length of the post

Until about 4 months ago i had taken shrooms about 3 or 4 times, and each time had been wonderful - however, this led me to be naieve to an extent that i am afraid i will regret for the rest of my life.

About 4 months ago i took shrooms again, but with what in hindsight were very different circumstances. At the time i was very stressed and anxious/depressed caused largely by a new job i started, and obviously this is not the state of mind to be in when taking such drugs.

Very quickly after taking them i realised something was wrong, and the remainder of that night was undoubtedly the worst experience of my life - caught on an infinite loop of the most terrifying thoughts and feelings imaginable (though i don't think it is imaginable until it is actually happening).

I was incredibly relieved to have come through this, largely with the help of my girlfriend who sat with me that night, and have not done any drugs other than alchohol and the occasional bit of pot since.

HOWEVER

almost a month ago i had what i guess is a flashback - that same, indiscribable, feeling - like being tortured inside my head, with unbearable feelings of what i can most closely (though not adequately) describe as anxiety. This lasted around 3 hours until i fell asleep. When i woke up it started again - my vision was also all over the place, everything appeared out of sync.

I took two weeks off work and the feeling came and went on a whim, and lasted up to 8 hours (though not in its extremist incarnation). I began to feel a lot better than i had done, but now i have returned to work for the last two weeks and it has begun to happen again.

When it first started i didn't want too admit that it was the result of mushrooms, and the doctor has prescribed me beta blockers for anxiety (which i have not yet taken) - I have also started seeing a pyschotherapist, which i hope will help.

I was hoping to hear from people who had gone through (and hopefully come through) any similar experiences - Especially anyone who has started taking beta blockers, and any positive effect this may have had.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: officespace]
    #4506349 - 08/07/05 10:01 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that sounds pretty intense. i guess its a sort of post traumatic stress thing. its not the fact that you ate mushrooms that's causing it, just the fact that you had an intense traumatising experience. flashbacks like this will fade in time, but the best thing you can do right now is try to come to terms with the experience and understand what happened.

it sounds like you experienced some ego-death phenomena; the "infinite loop of the most terrifying thoughts and feelings imaginable" is a common phenomena leading up to ego-death (whether you actually reach ego-death in the end or not). basically your ego was being dissolved, and naturally you fought this. i would recommend reading up on the subject, or doing a search for it on these forums.

when you get these flashbacks/anxiety attacks it may help to try and let go. accept all these things that worry you. so much easier said than done, i know. laying down and breathing deeply might help. meditation will help you overcome these problems, but its a slow path that demands a lot of perseverance.

i do know someone who went through a virtually identical thing to you. she had these flashbacks now and then for about 6 months until it faded away.

hopefully someone else who has more experience will reply, but i'd recommend searching the forum for similar topics. i think the best thing you can do, or at least try to do, is let go. don't treat that trip as a bad thing, as hard as that may sound. it was a learning experience, albeit a very difficult one. you were simply exposed to fears and insecurities that you've always had, but were previously locked away in the subconcious. the problems you were having with your job when you tripped were just like a trigger for bringing these fears out.

fighting the fears and pushing them away, whether during the trip or after it, will only make things worse. total acceptance is the way forward.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Edited by alsey (08/07/05 10:09 AM)

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: alsey]
    #4506368 - 08/07/05 10:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

that's no ego-death. in fact, it's the exact opposite; tormentive thought loops don't arise from ego-death, rather they come about from strong egos that put up a fight--they resist what's happening. you see, the ego wants to feel separate from the universe so that it can continue to live in its own fantasy land as it has done for an entire lifetime. it poses resistance to what is happening during a trip and causes you to get stuck in a downward spiral because it refuses to let go. the ego is everyones' most convincing prison. trust me, if he had no ego he wouldn't have experienced such hell in the first place.

hopefully this will fade. i agree that you should try to reconcile the feelings you had and perhaps work through them with a professional therapist. if you can identify the causes of your grief then you can overcome them. find out WHY you were feeling the way you did... you may very well just be temporarily suffering from a "traumatic event," which tends to induce anxiety attacks....

Offlinealsey

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #4506388 - 08/07/05 10:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i didn't say it was ego-death. i said ego-death phenomena, by which i mean all phenomena associated with ego-death; both while actually in the egoless state, and while leading up to it.

the loops of terrifying thoughts and stuff are what occur when your ego is being dissolved and you fight it. if you let go completely, you reach the actual point of ego-death. if you keep fighting it, the terrifying thoughts get worse and worse.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
    #4506439 - 08/07/05 10:54 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeahh....

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #4506765 - 08/07/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The ego is a very stubborn thing.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

OfflineChRoNiCk420
untitled

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4507253 - 08/07/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Word @ alsev.

Like he said, the best thing you can do is to try and come to terms with what happend during the trip. Maybe getting it down in some form of trip report(however unorganized) mite help. I have not these problems with bad trips, but writing the experience down always helps me sort shit out.

The absolute best thing to do would be to take mushrooms again in a controlled setting, ie in the care of a psychologist. Unfortunately, some motherfuckers make this option unavailable to us.

Also, LSD and mushrooms only manifest what is already in your own mind(imo). If there is something fucked up in your head, and you are sober, you can ignore it. When you are tripping, that shit will be right at the top possibly, and can fuck you over with thought loops and anxiety for no reason. Ego loss phenomena is possible too. If the former, sort the shit out in your head somehow. If the latter, let go like they said. Giving in to the dissolution of one's ego whilst tripping brings about this huge rush of euphoria, it is so awesome.

--------------------
Nothing's more magical than a mushroom. =)
-----.-'~~~-.
---.'o oOOOo`.
--:~~~-.oOo o`.
---`. \ ~-. oOOo.
-----`.; / ~. OO:
-----.' ;-- `.o.'
----,' ; ~~--'~
----; ;
_\\;_\\//_

Offlinealsey

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: ChRoNiCk420]
    #4507468 - 08/07/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChRoNiCk420 said:
The absolute best thing to do would be to take mushrooms again in a controlled setting,

this is very good advise IMO, although it may sound crazy. tripping again on a lower dose with an experienced sitter can really help you to get over a previous bad trip. its kind of analogous to someone with a fear of heights climbing up a tall building and confronting those fears.

--------------------

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4508141 - 08/07/05 09:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dude I know what your going thru, though my attacks only last until I scream I BEAT YOU ONCE AND I WILL BEAT YOU AGAIN.

Sounds funny but I just keep repeating this statement till I am back to my normal self. I myself first experienced shrooms about 2 months ago and had a horrible/wonderful trip. It was so scary. Just the things your mind conjures up when having a bad trip. Infinite hell.

Well the first time after taking shrooms that I felt (I actually felt a cloud just enveloping my brain, its hard to explain) the bad trip coming back was two weeks after the trip. I was just starting a new job so I was anxious about it, At first I was totally freaking out because i had to leave for work so I was thinking of things that might help. So I hoped in the shower and started thinking what I should do, when my normal self cam e back for an instant and said you beat it once, dont let it control you, you control it. Instantly I felt better.

Couple weeks after that I started feeling it again, I just hoped in the shower again and it went away. You just have to find something comforting to you and in your mind associate it with getting better, the shower worked for me.

It will get better, since my last attack I have been put in some more complex anxious moments and nothing happened. You just have to stop thinking so much about it. Accept that you had a bad trip. Accept the fact that you got your azz kicked. Know that you have learned from it, and move on.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4508193 - 08/07/05 10:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

alsey said:
Quote:

ChRoNiCk420 said:
The absolute best thing to do would be to take mushrooms again in a controlled setting,

this is very good advise IMO, although it may sound crazy. tripping again on a lower dose with an experienced sitter can really help you to get over a previous bad trip. its kind of analogous to someone with a fear of heights climbing up a tall building and confronting those fears.

My father knows someone who did just that. He had a bad experience which messed him up. He did mushrooms again, and he got even more fucked up.

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4508215 - 08/07/05 10:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

!

Edited by recondite (08/08/05 12:47 AM)

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: prefloppro]
    #4508242 - 08/07/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It really is hard advice to swallow, but going back and facing the fears of your bad thoughts probably will help. IMO

This happened to me recently and I was really scared to go back and face these things because I thought that I was a piece of shit after the first time, but living a sober life feeling the way that you were made to feel when tripping is a lot worse, for me anyway. Once I went back I saw that what was being shown to me wasn't put there to make me feel bad, I was already doing that subconsciously to myself anyway. What it showed me was that these things are part of me and not necessarily who or what I was...if that makes any sense. It showed me that these things were inside of me and that I just had to accept/acknowledge it and not necessarily give them any more power than they really had by trying to bury them deep down inside of me and fearing them. They were just there, plain and simple. I don't have to act on them or feel that they make me who I really am. That's what I get from the term "just let go". It's easier said than done, but when your confronted with these things while your tripping, if you can just accept them as being part of you without latching hold of them and fighting them and trying to rebury them, by seeing/accepting them and "letting go" of them you can move onward in your quest.

After I realized this, I felt really liberated and felt that I was ready to get on with what I had started out to do in the first place.
It just seemed that a little "housecleaning" was in order to get my mind cleared up to appreciate what was gonna be shown to me next...

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: metasin]
    #4508382 - 08/07/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, hmm, let's put someone who has had a traumatic experience through another one. :rolleyes:

You sound like a dumbass kid who has no real experience about the topic.

Offlinealsey

Re: Recently started experiencing flashbacks - Please help [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4509650 - 08/08/05 06:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

it needs to be done with a considerably lower dose. like maybe 1-1.5g. and with an experienced sitter.

--------------------

OfflineLysergicRide
Excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lone Star State
    #4512123 - 08/08/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Probably just have real bad anxiety and stress issues at this time in your life, and the trip upset your confidence.

I'm not doctor, but I would just say do whatever it takes to regain your confidence in your self and reality. There is an OTC suppliment called 5HTP which is supposed to directly convert to serotonen (spelling). When I was in my depressed state a while back I figured out this stuff worked just as good as the antidepressants the doctors wanted me to take. I finally quit taking that and now all I do to keep focused is diet, exercise, and a fun hobby. If I feel some kind of anxiety or discomfort I look for something to improve... Whether it be something small like "shave and get a hair cut", "gee I really need to start showing up at work in a more professional mode", or something more serious.... And don't forget the small things (like getting a hair cut) can make true changes to your life and attitude.

I would recommend staying away from any kind of "antiphyscotic", they may stop your flashbacks but they will also stop about everything else also. The drugs like Xanax, Ativan, ect... Will just mellow you out a little. The SSRI's (Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft) will kill your sex drive and possibly screw some more things up in your head. I was on Zoloft for a few months, and then on Lexapro for a few months. I quit them all around the first of the year. I have a belief that they alter your perceptions of reality on a daily basis and should only be used for in the short term until your get your life straightened. The Lexapro worked best for me until I found the 5HTP (about 3 capsuls a day)... Did that for a couple of months and quit. I finally got over all sadness over my past relationship and came back into reality completly.

Bottom line IMHO.... Get some confidence in your self.

Try to find 3 things messed up in your life and fix them, big or small.

--------------------
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down... And the eyes in his head see the world spinning around

"I can't tell if I'm coming up or down"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience