Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

passage of time
    #4505766 - 08/07/05 02:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

One day when I was a kid I was out playing baseball with a bunch of friends. I was playing second base when my friend Tommy was up to bat. He hit the ball straight back toward the pitcher but the pitcher missed the catch. The ball continued at eye level (for us kids) straight toward 2nd base. For a reason I can't remember I was momentarily distracted and didn't see the ball coming. Then someone yelled "look out!" I turned and saw the ball just inches from my face. All of a sudden time seemed to slow down. I turned my head and the ball whizzed past. My friends all looked at me incredulously, some wondering why the hell I missed an easy out, and the rest wondering how I dodged the ball so quickly. I was just glad I didn't get my nose broken.

A lot of people claim to have similar experiences where time noticeably slows down. So I got to thinking, what determines the rate at which we perceive time? Why do we usually perceive time at a constant rate?

Consider this: A minute is always a minute, an hour always an hour. These time divisions will stay constant even as the rate of time is changed, because they're measured by certain events happening. If the entire system is sped up (the rate of time is increased), the same events will still happen in the same amount of time. For example, when you fast forward through a DVD movie the same events still happen within the same order, even though the rate of playback is increased. A minute of the movie is still a minute of the movie. You've just changed the rate at which you've viewed that minute. So what I'm saying here is we should be able to distinguish between time and rate of time. Our rate of time is constant. What I'm wondering is, what exactly are the mechanics of this phenomenon, in terms of physics and biology?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: passage of time [Re: moog]
    #4505803 - 08/07/05 02:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

imagine if we thought slower, and it took a week to think what we normally think in one hour?

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: passage of time [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4505834 - 08/07/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, and then imagine you got stoned. See how long it takes to find your car keys then!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: passage of time [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4505837 - 08/07/05 03:09 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I know how to make your perception of time move forward faster.....just get older.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: passage of time [Re: moog]
    #4505846 - 08/07/05 03:12 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Do you think we actually do percieve time at a consistant rate? It speeds for me drags for me or seems paced comfortably at varying rates through out the day.

When i am fully grounded is when it moves the slowest and when i am flying high it speeds up like a mother fucker.

Here's an example that relates to your. 16 years ago, I was driving on ice and din't know it as all the other roads were salted. A car pulled out in front of me and I tapped my breaks and my car started to fish tail out of control. I was helpless ong and inch of ice. My car came careening towards a cement viaduct. Watching it come at me, I thought I was dead meat! Talk about the warpage of time slowing.

At that moment, I was of course very present in body and very in fear I was going to become creme of wheat.

I think the percpetion of time corelates with density levels of our current mental/emotional state. When happy it flys and when sad it drags. Slower percption vibrations will make you percieve the passage of time at the same vibrational rate. Faster ones will make you perceive it to go by faster.

Yet, 24 hours is 24 hours. Fucken wild huh? Perception is fun to play with.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: passage of time [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4505853 - 08/07/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hell yeah, I'm only in my early 20s and I already feel that. I've heard the theory that as you get older a year is a smaller and smaller fraction of your life, so it makes it seem like less time is passing. But, is that really the explanation, or is it something else........  :confused:

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: passage of time [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4505867 - 08/07/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:lol:

ah, to be an old, stoned tree...

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: passage of time [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4505885 - 08/07/05 03:23 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Emotions do seem to play a part. When you want time to go by faster, it seems to go slower, and when you want it to slow down it seems to go faster.

Here's something else I thought of. Maybe you can remember from your experience. When my perception of time slowed down, my rate of thoughts stayed the same. That's how I was able to dodge the baseball. If consciousness is solely a physical construct, wouldn't my thoughts slow down along with the perception of time? Curiouser and curiouser. It seems like if you could find a way to slow the rate of time and yet maintain your normal rate of thought, you could move around super fast in relation to the people and things around you (your body's agility permitting).

InvisibleELECTRIC
I'm a Puppet

Loc: Bonded with string...
Re: passage of time [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4506055 - 08/07/05 04:21 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"It speeds for me drags for me or seems paced comfortably at varying rates through out the day.

When i am fully grounded is when it moves the slowest and when i am flying high it speeds up like a mother fucker."

Right on!

The relativity of 'time'.  The parallel of outside unfolding relative to one's 'time' "I" can seem to play games with one's perception of passing.

Various synchronizations of the two result in various perceptions of the phenomena.

However, I do not believe in time:eek: 

What many consider time, I believe to be a differentiation of aging that we mark and make note of through a human-made metronone called a watch.

Where I differ on the subject is that I do not consider aging as the standard past/present linear model that many hold onto when thinking of and discussing, time.

--------------------
Nos confido phasmatis occultus in vicis postulo nostrum tutela donatus futurus.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology