Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

Sterilize air before fanning?
    #4503548 - 08/06/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

For those of us who are taking the Fanning route for Fresh Air Exchange, is it a good thing to spray some kind of disinfectant spray (such as Lysol) prior to fanning?  I've searched and searched and cant find a clear cut answer.

I know that after a cake has fully colonized, it is hard for contams to get a foothold, but it obviously can happen.  I've also read that disinfectant sprays can create mutations.

So what I was thinking is:
  1) Spray room (with Lysol) to sterilize air.
  2) Wait for a period of time for air to settle.
  3) Open Fruiting Chamber and FAN AWAY!

Is this bad? Should I be worrying this much about contams during the fanning process?  The room I'm doing this in is pretty much empty, with a hardwood floor. I will definitely be using H2O2 mixed with water in the perilite, but figured if I could safely sterilize the AIR, then I'd like to do that too.

Any advice for a noob who has searched endlessly for a proper answer?

Thanks.

/me wants :mushroom2: ... :crazy:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Sterilize air before fanning? [Re: Skunkhuffer]
    #4503575 - 08/06/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

go buy a hepa filter and then the air in your room will be pretty clean all the time.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

Re: Sterilize air before fanning? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4503582 - 08/06/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That's good future advice Lemon, but it doesn't answer my question. :P

I'm broke, so that would be beyond my grasp at this point.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
    #4503586 - 08/06/05 01:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

cakes are pretty contam resistant once colonized so you could jsut fan with no worries but it never hurts to be safe

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

Re: Sterilize air before fanning? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4503608 - 08/06/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Aight. I just wont go crazy with the Lysol.

Advice appreciated.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4503667 - 08/06/05 01:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

First, Lysol is a surface disinfectant, not intended to clean the air. It will be useless to spray the air with lysol.

Second, there is no need to maintain sterility in a growing environment. Massive air exchange while maintaining humidity will prevent contaminants such as trich and cobweb which thrive in still, stale air. I used to run HEPA filters, but I've sent them all to the storage bin, as they seemed to make no difference whatsoever. Air exchange and circulation will prevent contaminants from a growing area. Only the area you spawn in must be kept sterile. a glovebox or flow hood is mandatory. After that, air exchange is the key.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize air before fanning? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4504233 - 08/06/05 05:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
First, Lysol is a surface disinfectant, not intended to clean the air.  It will be useless to spray the air with lysol.

Second, there is no need to maintain sterility in a growing environment.  Massive air exchange while maintaining humidity will prevent contaminants such as trich and cobweb which thrive in still, stale air.  I used to run HEPA filters, but I've sent them all to the storage bin, as they seemed to make no difference whatsoever.  Air exchange and circulation will prevent contaminants from a growing area.  Only the area you spawn in must be kept sterile.  a glovebox or flow hood is mandatory.  After that, air exchange is the key.
RR

Agreed. It is also always a good idea to keep things as clean as possible in and around your grow. There is always a trade off when dealing with FAE and sporeloads understanding some molds may be introduced but the lack of FAE's WILL cause contams to flourish. GL :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sterilize air before fanning? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4504712 - 08/06/05 09:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
First, Lysol is a surface disinfectant, not intended to clean the air.  It will be useless to spray the air with lysol.

Second, there is no need to maintain sterility in a growing environment.  Massive air exchange while maintaining humidity will prevent contaminants such as trich and cobweb which thrive in still, stale air.  I used to run HEPA filters, but I've sent them all to the storage bin, as they seemed to make no difference whatsoever.  Air exchange and circulation will prevent contaminants from a growing area.  Only the area you spawn in must be kept sterile.  a glovebox or flow hood is mandatory.  After that, air exchange is the key.
RR

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: - Very well put.

People are lysol crazy 'round here. :grin:  I've never used lysol for anything and never will.

InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

#4506337 - 08/07/05 09:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I can honestly say that the Lysol wasn't my idea. I read it in a PF Tek somewhere. It was recommended that you spray the air with Lysol (like crazy) before you innoc. Going with that suggestion, I also figured it would be useful to spray before FAE's. Nice to know it isn't exactly required.

From what you've said, I'm sure it does work a little. However, it doesn't seem like saturating the air with it would provoide "fresh" air for the fruiting stage.

OfflineLowriderGuy
Stranger
    #4507923 - 08/07/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I stoped buying lysol. at $5 each can I only use it for spawning or cleaning the bins. Rubbing alcohol works great other wise & its cheap

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation