Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
do you really NEED spore prints?
    #4503546 - 08/06/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yayyyy!!! It's my first post. *does the dancing jig*

Haha, anyway. I have been reading on this site for quite some time now and I must say, it is much more organized than other "education" sites out there.  I know exactly what I am doing now and also exactly what I need to get started.

I had a simple question though. Why would you need a spore print?  (Unless we are using this term universally.)  Wouldn't it be easier to let the spores drop inside a steralized jar (as in some teks), add water, then extract via syringe?  Or is the process by which you make the spores drop known as printing?

Mainly my question is this.  Lets say I let the spores drop inside the jar. Then I quickly and carefully remove the top from the jar and close it back. I then inject the amount of sterilized water (or more) into the jar that I am going to be using via syringe, swoosh it around inside the jar to get the spores into the water. Then re-"suck" (lol forgot that term) the water back into the syring so that I may have a spore syringe.

Does this seem like a good method or is there something I am just not thinking of? If I am working on a perpetual cycle, then making a spore "print" to store seems almost....well.....useless. 

Someone shine some light on me?  :mushroom2:

Thanks!!

-Tokey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: tokey666]
    #4503580 - 08/06/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

for some reason your post confuses the hell out of me. but most people make prints for long term storage, easy shipping, to not waste a syringe (for those with few syringes), stuff like that

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4503600 - 08/06/05 01:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

And lets not forget....

To Donate to the FSR's  :laugh:

OfflineTheLegend
Stranger
Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4503668 - 08/06/05 01:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

prints can be stored for over a year no problem and you only need to use a tiny bit of your print to make a syringe.

Also if you do them seperate (like print then from print to syring) it means you can consintrate more on the sterile side one tek at a time. if you do them at the same time then theres just more room for error.

And of course so you can donate to FSR :smile: FSR's are fecking legends!

Oh also dont forget after you make your print you can still eat or dry the cap.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: TheLegend]
    #4503838 - 08/06/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone seemed to be confused by your post LOL...well I get what your saying.

Yes the process of collecting spores IS spore printing, and your method works just fine. You can also use a shot glass, fill with water, cover with foil, PC and let cool, then place the cap over it and let it drop its spores intot he water, then suck it up. The spore solution will be highly concentrated, so you could then squirt that into a large jars of water and split it up into say 10 syringes or so per print. Or you can use little plastic things with a number 5 in the triangle on the bottom (so it can be PCed) then melt a hole in the top and put in a self injection healing port in the top (the blue things from here:)
https://www.sciplus.com/lw/category.cfm?category=50

These are the plastic things I'm talking about:

There are also plastic petri dishes there you can see which also work to print on, then you can squirt some water in when you need it, and suck it up.

For sending prints off (like to the FSR :smile:) you can just put a peice of foil at the bottom of the jar, petri, or whatever..then remove it, fold and tape.

Either way, this must all be done in very sterile environment, to get good clean prints and syringes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

#4504823 - 08/06/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, sorry for the confusion everybody! My intent with the question is not WHY I want prints, but rather why I would NEED them for a small growing operation with perpetual harvest.  It would eleviate steps to just drop the spores straght into water, rather than dealing with another medium.

But anyway, scatmanrav, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a bit confused though and need to clarify because I LOVE this idea. You said after the PC, put a shroom over the shot glass so it can drop spores? Maybe I missed this tek or glanced over it, but how do you hover a cap over an exposed shotglass of water for 24+ hours and keep it sterile?

Maybe putting the shot glass/shroom into a sterile container then cover it? Then I wait for them to drop, and then I extract?  But still, what would I use to hold the mushroom over the shot glass?

I REALLY like this idea. It seems to eleviate alot of useless steps, but I'm not catching the big pic.  :smile:

-Tokey

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4504849 - 08/06/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Making your own prints is a skill you will be thankfull you developed.
You can print different strians and save them virtually indefinately to try again at a much later date  with excellent results.
From a small grow you could easily get enough prints to last a very long time. Keep the best few for yourself, and trade or donate the extras for different strains.

Then again... I'm kinda partial to prints :laugh:

Shdwstr

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

#4504874 - 08/06/05 10:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

haha, thats totally understandable. And I will DEFINATELY make prints in the future when I get into this hobby a bit more. I know just what you mean about storage, reusability, etc etc. But as of now, transfering to a print then transfering BACK to a syring is an extra step I may be able to aleviate.

Thanks for the advice though. Good stuff peoples!

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#4505136 - 08/06/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

you can just scrap the spores into a shot glass and suck with a eye dropper (thats sterile) and open it up and innoc , but there would be a higher comtam rating.

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: liveby]
    #4506008 - 08/07/05 03:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking of a similar idea. Though you really should make at least two storable prints of everything you grow, one as backup. Kinda like having hard copies of info on your 'puter.
And YES the other to donate to FSR's. They kick ass!!!
From what I understand, good prints, packaged and stored properly will remain viable for like 10 years or something. (don't quote me on that though)
I want to try this idea for LC jars, when I get a cap to print that is. Instead of messing around innoculating after sterilizing, just add sterilized LC solution in yer GB and let it go.
Way to think outside the box man!

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: austio_ferocious]
    #4506080 - 08/07/05 04:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

LC is supreme

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Re: do you really NEED spore prints? [Re: liveby]
    #4506670 - 08/07/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

And ya know, I just checked out the FSR page. Maybe I'm a bit partial to prints as well. :smile:  That is an excellent service and I am definately going to be getting involved once I have some prints to send back to ya!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4508301 - 08/07/05 10:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, generally most of my caps open bigger then a shot glass. The ones you saw printing arnt cubies in the picture so their smaller. Otherwise, you could take two paper clips bent straight, and make an X over the shot glass, and set the cap on that..or a peice of chicken wire. Then put a 1/2 pint jar or something over it. You could also just use the shot glass with no water, put the cap on and print onto the bottom of the shot glass, then fill with water and suck it up.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation