Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
A few bulk casing questions
    #4500210 - 08/05/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So afoaf just did his first bulk casing recently and the pinset is amazing! 2 (3/4)pints of WBS spawn to 9 pints of pasteurized Hpoo. (John Allen strain). the casing is 10.5"x10.5" with 1/2" of moistened verm on the bottom, a 3" substrate depth and a 3/4" casing layer of jungle growth professional growers mix with the hardwood removed (aged pine bark) and the adding of 6g of Calcium Carbonate.

Well, after 2 days of incubation myc was poking through the casing layer so afoaf sprinkled a little more casing mixture on top of those areas and let incubate for another day, then birthed to FC. 5 days after birthing to the FC the first pins we're noted (about 100 pins). 2 days later those initial pins have reached about 1 1/2" and there are about 500 pins covering every sqaure cm of the surface.

The FC - (plastic shelving wrapped with plastic drop cloth)
Measurements are 24x18x36(inches). There are two shelves. Humidified by a vicks 2.4gal coolmist. Humidity stays constant between 96% - 97%. Airation occurs for 15min every 2 hours when the coolmist clicks on plus an additional 2 fannings per day. Temps range between 74-77F, 77 is when light is on, 74 is when light is off. light is 33watt flouro running 12on/12off until 24hours after afoaf saw the first pins then the timing was switched to 8on/16off.

Now for the Q's

1.Does this sound good to you experienced bulk casers?
2.Is a 96-97% rH too high? or is that just right here?
3.Should the fruits be taller than 1 1/2" in 2 days of growth?
4.Assuming there is literally 500pins, which there is on a 10.5"x10.5" casing, could afoaf end up having a problem with aborts or lower yield? or could you never have enough pins?

5.Afoaf has read alot about casing, and has breifly heard of dunking casings. Would dunking this casing after the first flush be beneficial in your opinions or would simply patching be sufficient? if dunking would be beneficial... how would one go about dunking a casing..?

Sorry for not having a pic, afoaf has gotta send them to me, so ill post them tomorrow.

Happy Trails!

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few bulk casing questions [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4500258 - 08/05/05 03:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

When you get large pinsets, you will get many aborts..you'd be surprised how many aborts are under the canopies of shrooms that I get..just isnt enough rom for them all. I've seen some get alot of them to mature though with perfect conditions. You sound ok, I'd try and drop the humidity myself, putting a hole or two or something, increasing air flow and giving you a much more breathable environment. Size is relative, but I wouldnt be concerned with what your at right now from the sounds of it.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4500347 - 08/05/05 04:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I would just run the coolmist all day long, and don't bother fanning it's not required for greenhouse/ closet type setups.

To dunk a casing you can just fill it with water and let it soak for a day, then drain it. However all I do is give it a nice heavy misting after the first flush, that seems to do the job.

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Re: A few bulk casing questions [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4500436 - 08/05/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

awesome... afoaf said he's gonna start running the coolmist 24/7 and add 2 more 1/2" polyfilled airation holes.

The only thing afoaf's worried about with running the coolmist constantly is the casing getting too wet. There are 2 hoses coming out of the coolmist, one on the top of the top shelf, and one on the top of the bottom shelf, but air can pass between the 2 shelves. Currently there is only 2 airation holes located at the bottom of the greenhouse both 1". In the adding of extra airation holes should afoaf keep them on the bottom shelf, or should afoaf add a couple on the bottom of the top shelf as well?

happy trails!

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

#4500834 - 08/05/05 06:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

bumpity?

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

#4501283 - 08/05/05 09:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

bumparoo...?

--------------------

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4501762 - 08/06/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Running the coolmist for longer periods of time should be sufficient to drop the humidity some...The humidity will raise again when the coolmist is off. (my personal experience)

Just do some experimenting and see what works for you. Make frequent observations and take notes...

Take care n be safe...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation