Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds
    #4499423 - 08/05/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A company called Gemesis has nearly perfected the manufacture of synthetic diamonds. These are not Zirconiums nor cheap replications, but chemically identical to "natural" diamonds in structure, brilliance, density etc. The only way to tell the difference is using a very expensive machine such as a a Fourier transform infrared spectrometer. A jewler's loupe is useless for such differentiation.

Naturally, diamond industry is afraid - very afraid! Jef Van Royen, a senior scientist at the Diamond High Council the official representative of the diamond industry in Belgium says "If people really love each other, then they give each other the real stone," he says, during an interview at council headquarters on the Hoveniersstraat in Antwerp. "It is not a symbol of eternal love if it is something that was created last week." So goes the De Beers-backed line.

So here is the question for discussion, as there is NO DIFFERENCE in beauty, hardness, durability, etc. and the ONLY real difference lies in the mind of the purchaser, isn't it silly to pay more for an earth-created rather than a machine-created stone?

One pays more for a Mercedes than a Toyota because there are measurable and significant differences. In this case, the best jewelers in the world cannot tell the difference, without expensive testing; nevermind your best friend at a cocktail party or your fiance.

Note: Who says all my threads are repetitive and bring nothing new for discussion? :rolleyes:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: Swami]
    #4499429 - 08/05/05 10:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

Nah, man, I've got to have the real thing. The real ones are natural and were created by the Earth, not some fat guy in a fancy suit eating corndogs. :lol:

:nut:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4499437 - 08/05/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So here is the question for discussion, as there is NO DIFFERENCE in beauty, hardness, durability, etc. and the ONLY real difference lies in the mind of the purchaser, isn't it silly to pay more for an earth-created rather than a machine-created stone?
_____________________________________________________-

Yes, silly.

Who would say such a thing? You just let me at em Swami. :box:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4499439 - 08/05/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What does love have to do with real OR synthetic diamonds?

Admittedly, I do not have the same deep affection for bling-bling as the average woman seems to, but IMO: if you have to buy it, why not just go to a prostitute? At least she'll be honest about the fact that it is a business deal.

OfflineAvatarofAtavism
Stranger

Loc: canada
    #4499465 - 08/05/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'd go with the synthetic. The industry is such a joke. Exploitive, yet at the same time supportive.

To me, a lot of the 'coolness' of a diamond comes from it's structure, and qualities. So naturaly, cheaper is better. But hypothetically, lets say I had to choose between a synthetic and a natural, at the same price? I would go with the natural. There is beauty in natures imperfections, and the thought that it took so long to make is pretty cool.

(cool question by the way)

--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: Icelander]
    #4499469 - 08/05/05 10:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Who would say such a thing? You just let me at em Swami.

:lol: Go sick 'em Iceman. BTW, one of the baddest men in the world of mixed martial arts is Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell. I would not want to mess with you!  :tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4499497 - 08/05/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know about the USA but I know in other countries man-made diamonds are already pretty common. In India you can buy a diamond bracelet for about 100 US dollars, or a necklace for about 200. Rings with just a single diamond are obviously even cheaper. Anyone who'd pay thousands for a naturally formed diamond would imo be insane.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#4499751 - 08/05/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Psychological value is the primary feature that sells most superficial folks. Personally, I think most expensive jewelery is lame.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4500122 - 08/05/05 01:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, of course it's silly. That doesn't stop people from buying-in to all the DeBeers marketing hype :rolleyes:

Note: Who says all my threads are repetitive and bring nothing new for discussion?

Actually we already had this discussion of synthetic vs. "real" diamonds :smirk:

I think it was one of Frog's threads, talking about her fiance.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: trendal]
    #4500157 - 08/05/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Gotcha again!

I asked "Who says...?" Did not state it was an original thread.

Assumption, assumption, assumption!

j/k  :tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4500211 - 08/05/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

You're too quick for me, swami :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4500251 - 08/05/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Seriously though, I believe Frogs post was about Zirconiums vs. Diamonds. (would have to re-read).

I am talking about objects that have a special, invisible, indistinguishable "blessing". Do you remember my original sig, " A difference that makes no difference, is no difference,"?

Here is a slighlty different thought experiment: The year is 2075 and you are rich beyond compare and can buy a hand-built Ferrari for $3,500,000 or an identical one that has been replicated Star-Trek style for $350,000. Which do you choose and why?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4500309 - 08/05/05 02:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well in the thread I'm pretty sure I brought up the topic of synthetic diamonds.

It's actually been a good 5-10 years since they came up with a process to create perfect synthetic diamonds. At first they were so perfect that the jewlers could EASILY tell the difference between them and natural diamonds - which always have small defects and inclusions in their structure. The company I heard of (can't remember the name) had just worked out a way to include tiny imperfections and such in their synthetic diamonds, to make them look even more "real".

Here is a slighlty different thought experiment: The year is 2075 and you are rich beyond compare and can buy a hand-built Ferrari for $3,500,000 or an identical one that has been replicated Star-Trek style for $350,000. Which do you choose and why?

Obviously I would buy the one for $350k...because I'm not silly :smirk:

Well...I'm not silly all the time, anyway.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: Veritas]
    #4500334 - 08/05/05 02:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
What does love have to do with real OR synthetic diamonds?

I was going to say the same thing, but just couldn't find the words. Just another dick telling you how to give him money.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#4500335 - 08/05/05 02:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Does the Star-Trek style replicated Ferrari come with the same small defects?  :stoned:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: Viaggio]
    #4500344 - 08/05/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No it's replicated so technically it should have less defects than the average hand-built car!

Thus you could pay more for something with possible defects, just because it's the "real thing"...or you could get a great deal on a "synthetic" product which is actually better than the real thing. :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
    #4500377 - 08/05/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

They don't have Porsches in the future? Shameful.

And I would buy the replica diamond, saving my money for when the world decides diamonds are no longer the appropriate stone for marriage and I have to go out to buy a ruby or sapphire to keep the boat from swamping.

[Haughty Socialite Accent]Oh my! You've still got one of those silly little things on your finger? How charmingly pedestrian.[/HSA]

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Real vs. Synthetic Diamonds [Re: orechron]
    #4500492 - 08/05/05 02:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Haha.

A DIAMOND? How gauche....

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4500700 - 08/05/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Diamonds are more prevalent than rubys. Only reason they're so expensive is because De Beers owns something like 85% of the diamond mines and maintains a strangle-hold on the market. Fuck those con artists.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4501024 - 08/05/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A company called Gemesis has nearly perfected the manufacture of synthetic diamonds.

An amazing process involving a machine about the size of a washing machine filled with molten carbon at gigantic pressures.

More to the point:

There have been cases of forged master works of art (original, not a copy of an existing piece) that sold for large sums. Then the forgery was discovered by investigation of documents, not by examination of the work itself which remained otherwise indistinguishable from a genuine piece.

The value of the work instantly dropped to a fraction of its previous price.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom