Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS
    #4498814 - 08/05/05 03:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

These are photos of 2 jars. I have a grow log going on the jars too. The second photo is only after 3 days. The jar on the right has dry blood added for nitrogen. Both jars were sterilized in the microwave. Both had 200g of wheat and were made up to be 30ml short of the water content I wanted. This allowed me to inject a good 30ml of LC. The rapid colonisation leaves little time for contams to set in, it also does away with the need for shaking jars if a lot of LC is used. They were only shaken once afer injection. LC was about 2% honey. Colonised in 1 week and sat for another week before injection.
Strain is texan

Log http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4493850

Edited by Prisoner#1 (10/11/09 05:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: blackout]
    #4498947 - 08/05/05 06:01 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I was inspired a long time ago. But i might try the old microwave soon. I usually almost kill myself with my pressure cooker because i am to tired or to drunk =/

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: xburn]
    #4498973 - 08/05/05 06:19 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The microwave can be dangerous too, the way I use them anyway!
Drink doesnt go well either, I have done some dirty transfers when drunk. Sterility goes out the window, "ah, that'll be grand".

OfflineLiquid_Silver
Stranger

Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: blackout]
    #4499366 - 08/05/05 10:14 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

good job man. "sterility goes out the window" I know what your talking about, and you know, 85% of the time I get lucky. I like my odds :smile:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: Liquid_Silver]
    #4499498 - 08/05/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So the one without bloodmeal was quicker, and colonized in three days? I see that right? Wow..what size jars are they? They look like half gallons, maybe just quart sized or something?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4499575 - 08/05/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

EDIT: YES, the blood jar is on the right in both photos and is slower. After day 1 there was growth in the blood jar, none in the wheat only. Day 2 had lots of weak growth in the wheat jar and a lot more spots in the blood jar, but the spots were strong growth. The blood jar's growth looks stronger, looks like it will end up more rhizo than the other. Unfortunately I am away for a week so cannot keep track of what is happening. Should be a good contest.

The jars are baby carrot jars, I think 660ml. I think the lens makes them look big. I love these wide jars, carrots are dirt cheap and I eat a full jar in one go. There is only 200g of dry grain in each jar, 180-185ml water content, including LC.

I would not consider it to be 100% colonised yet, for once the photo looks better than real life, I still do not know what I am going to do with the grain. It is texan and I may try to fruit invitro, but harvesting in non-tapered jars will be a pain. I want to compare potency and yield of blood vs non-blood.

Edited by blackout (08/05/05 12:38 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4499590 - 08/05/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You could top off the jar with casing mix, cover the sides with foil and fruit right from the top of the jar:

Easy to harvest if you cover the sides, no side pins.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4499643 - 08/05/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My first microwave jar ended up a bit like that

Your jar is a lot wider and shallower than mine. I would have a sub over 4" deep and only room for 1/2" casing layer

Texan are said to fruit very well invitro. I am thinking of a pseudo-invitro grow. I have 2 shallow 3litre containers about 3-4" high, I may put the grains in them and case and just let the shrooms hit the roof. I want to get prints of these, it seems a nice fast coloniser. I have no humidifier and have to stay fairly stealthy in my growing.
My best chance of clean prints is to let them fruit invitro, take the top caps out to print. Then scoop out the grains into my shallow containers and harvest the rest. I have never heard of people crumbling up a cake/grains that have had a first flush though, not sure what will happen.

I feel the 2 factors in the rapid colonisation are the large amount of LC used and the overdry grains. The microwaved grains had previously had more water than I wanted so had expanded up a lot. When microwaved they dry out yet keep that big puffed up size. I think cavities are opened which allow the LC to penetrate deeply into the grain and really take hold of it.

Edited by blackout (08/05/05 11:38 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4499673 - 08/05/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

>I would have a sub over 4" deep and only room for 1/2" casing layer

That sounds perfect to me. Just MO

>I have never heard of people crumbling up a cake/grains that have had a first flush though, not sure what will happen.

People do it often, I've done it a number of times myself anytime after 1st, 2nd or 3rd flushes, if it still seems like the casing is producing, but its getting all torn up, I'll break it into a few big chunks and soak them all, then break it up into a pan..often end up with few fruits, but they get large.

--------------------

OfflineTheGanjaKru
Stranger

#11227613 - 10/11/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i thought microwaving doesnt work

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: This may inspire people to use an LC. Blood Vs. No blood. Microwaved Grain. PHOTOS [Re: TheGanjaKru]
    #11227970 - 10/11/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TheGanjaKru said:
i thought microwaving doesnt work

You have to fully understand what is going on, and understand how microwaves work and their limitations. It is easier to just stick with a PC if you have one.

Microwaves get a bad name since so many people just nuke jars for 5mins and then it contams. You can read more about what I do in the log for that grow. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4493850
I have several other old threads where I successfully sterilized using a microwave. You would have to pay attention to all the points I make, most people end up taking shortcuts etc,

I have a microwaved jar of wheat in my room which is several years old now with no sign of contams, at room temp.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds