Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Assholes in cars
    #4499034 - 08/05/05 07:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm on my way to work this morning, riding my bicycle. Good morning for it, too, as it wasn't even 20 degrees outside yet!

So I'm approaching an intersection along a busy road. I was on the sidewalk, for safety reasons due to the traffic, and was moving and near top speed. There was an old guy in a minivan sitting at a stop sign at the intersection in front of me.

I had the right of way, as he was turning and I was going straight.

Now I know he saw me coming, and coming fast...but the guy decides to pull out in front of me when I get about 10 feet away from him. At first I hoped he would KEEP GOING so I could swerve behind him....but the guy just stops with his minivan directly in my path.

Obviously this presented me with a bit of a conundrum! I could run into him, swerve into oncoming traffic, or hit my brakes and hope for the best.

I hit my brakes.

I started to skid.

Then my front tire went down over the curb, which threw me directly over the front of my bike. Total spill. (the trick, I've learned, for going over the handlebars is to put your shoulder down and roll, so that you land on your shoulder instead of face - I learned that the hard way several years ago.)

Needless to say, I was pissed.

I got up and noticed the guy shaking his head at me! As if it was my fault.

So I walked right around to his driver side and started yelling at him. I don't think he expected this, because he immediately looked rather scared, gripped his steering wheel tightly, and stared straight ahead. After I called him a few names and made sure he knew I had the right of way...the guy turns to me and says "Are you ok? Should I call an ambulance?"

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK??!?! I'M STANDING, AREN'T I??"

Stick a human in a car, and they seem to lose all respect for any human not in a car. :mad:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
Re: Assholes in cars [Re: trendal]
    #4499036 - 08/05/05 07:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yea people are dumbfucks, i hate bad drivers. the new town i moved to is full of them

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: Assholes in cars [Re: day_tripper]
    #4499048 - 08/05/05 07:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It helps to live in college towns, where the drivers are more or less trained to deal with bicyclists.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: nookjohn]
    #4499056 - 08/05/05 07:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I do live in a college town :frown:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#4499059 - 08/05/05 07:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

where you live trendal i thot u were in TO? definetly ppl are pricks that way. my buddy evan is big on biking and he tells me stories like that all the time

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

#4499063 - 08/05/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ha, my college town is full of asshole drivers who hate pedestrians/cyclists.

Well, off to class. Hope I don't have a spill like yerself, trendal. Glad yer allright.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: Yarry]
    #4499069 - 08/05/05 08:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Naw Yarry I live here.

TO drivers are way more aggressive than here drivers....but drivers here are just plain stupid :rolleyes:

Either they're driving too slow, blocking the sidewalk, or pulling out in front of you.

--------------------

Edited by trendal (06/23/06 05:09 PM)

Offlinebladerunnerss
journeyman
Re: Assholes in cars [Re: nookjohn]
    #4499070 - 08/05/05 08:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Someone should go back in time and un-invent the mini van. I had to drive one during the prime of my life (19-25) and deply regret not getting something with balls and masculinity. It was a hand me down and was greatfull to drive anything at all- plus it was great when playing in a band and hauling all kinds of music equipment plus personel. *shrugs shoulders* fuck it.

You should have done something cool like bike hopped straight into his mini van through those big side wall windows- landing most way inside his minishit spraying glass everywhere rocking the van from side to side. That would have been the shit. Get up dust yourself off and gently go about your way like its no big deal.

Speeking of spills I used to drive to college and have to park really far from the class room and campus. So from the car I rode my skateboard to the class room. I was flying down the street at max speed when I passed some chick. I turned my head to check her out. I ran over a pebble or lost balance or some shit and had to bail. I landed standing up facing backwards tho. I fucking spilled on my back and slid on the concrete totally embarassed! It sucked. She said something like are you ok. I thought "hell no that totally sucked spilling infront of a cutie like that" I dont think i said anything and just got back up and continued skating to class.

--------------------
bladeruNNer

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4499080 - 08/05/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Man...assholes in cars are the worst, but especially when you're a pedestrian.  I do NOT put up with people that don't understand that pedestrians have the right of way...I hate getting cut off by cars when I'm  walking, it pisses me off to no end. Usually if I do, I knock on the window as the car slowly rolls by to get the driver's attention, and then give him the finger. Or if the windows are down, I yell asshole loudly and clearly.  THat's just the new yorker in me. :smirk:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: bladerunnerss]
    #4499091 - 08/05/05 08:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

Yeah I've done that on a bike before...checking out a hottie as I passed by :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Assholes in cars [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4499149 - 08/05/05 08:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I hate pedestrians that walk around like they got the right
of way all the time...

like...oh, it's a red light, but let me stop and tie my shoe
in the crosswalk and then take baby steps to get across
the street.

oh, I think it'll stand off the curb and make it impossible for
you to make a right while I contemplate jay-walking.

there's just as many asshole walkers as there are asshole
drivers....they just won't break your skull as they run you
over.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: afoaf]
    #4499155 - 08/05/05 08:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Pedestrians, by law, always have the right-of-way.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4499163 - 08/05/05 08:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yup, even if jaywalking.  Though tying your shoe in the street is obnoxious.

But let's say I'm crossing the street just as the light turns green for the cars. I'm not gonna fucking run like my life depended on it. And if a car starts moving forward in an obnoxious way, I don't hurry, I just lock eyes with the driver and arch an eyebrow while maintaining my pace..:devil:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4499167 - 08/05/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

sure, but there's a question of courtesy.

I woulda run you over anyways and then got out
of the car and punched you for yelling at me.

but that's just me...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: afoaf]
    #4499224 - 08/05/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Courtesy?

How about the courtesy of not pulling out in front of a guy on a bike when he clearly has the right of way?

That'd be like if you were driving along in your car, approaching an intersection where you DON'T have a stop sigh or lights...and then some idiot sitting at the stop sign decides to drive through the intersection right in front of you just as you reach the intersection. Crashes happen that way.

--------------------

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
    #4499238 - 08/05/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sorry to all the folks who've had bad accidents with cars. People just think we can magically jump off the road for them.

I had a bad incident once where there was a car stopped out of a neighborhood entrance. I started to go as I had waited to see if the car would go. Thinking it would let me off and I didn't check the open road lanes to see if the car would lurch out into the open road. Went about half way over the entrance road and the car started, it slammed into the back of my bike and sent me sliding over gravel.

I got up and wasn't too pleased with the driver being an elderly lady that obviously wasn't paying attention. She kept telling me to write down her name and number. So did some other spectators. I was trying to be friendly about it and just leave. Told them it never happened. I didn't want to sit in a court room or tell some cops about it. They finally let me go. That was the worst trip to the mall I've ever encountered but it was alright, that was a good day anyways.

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: PuZuZu]
    #4499253 - 08/05/05 09:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

People just think we can magically jump off the road for them.

My point exactly!

Now of course I'm not saying all drivers are assholes....but the ones who are assholes are the ones who make it so dangerous to ride a bike in the city :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4499274 - 08/05/05 09:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like a new england driver. :confused:

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4499281 - 08/05/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Bikers aren't considered pedestrians in the city. A bicycle is a vehicle. Under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, a vehicle is defined as: "anything drawn, propelled, or drivenby any type of power including muscular power." If you ride a bike on the road in the city you are supposed to obey all laws like a car would. Theres so many asshole bikers in the city, they ride their bikes on the road, but then they go through red lights, they take up half the lane, they swerve and make turns without and hand signalling. I think there are just about as many asshole bicyclists as there are drivers.

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: Assholes in cars [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4499290 - 08/05/05 09:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Irradiated_Feces said:
Theres so many asshole bikers in the city, they ride their bikes on the road, but then they go through red lights, they take up half the lane, they swerve and make turns without and hand signalling. I think there are just about as many asshole bicyclists as there are drivers.

That's how it is here. Bikers take the advantage of riding their bikes in the street without following any of the laws they should be following. I see this daily.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies