Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Nostic, Giving up?
    #4498905 - 08/05/05 07:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hello everybody.

Haven't posted much lately b/c I've been trying to pin-point the origin of all my failures (as of late)...

So I'm posting today to see if anyone can get me out of this rut..

Well...Lemme begin :wink:

First off...

Before I started getting contams., I got great results w/ WBS and BRF...

Then I got greeny and Now all my jars fall to contams...Brownish mold,Greenie,Sometimes lipstick and something else that I can't see but is sometimes a sweet smell or a stange foot odor kind of smell...lol

Well...Here's how it begins...

II Brf Prep. II

Syringes - Got from Ralph So I know they're top notch :thumbup: and not contam.ed (two different syringes)

Substrate - 2:1 Brf Ratios. Boiled for 1 hour and I let it sit in the pot over night.

inoculation - Wiped my GB down w/ alcohol. Then my jars and then quickly put them inside. Then I wiped down my lighter, Put it inside. Then I wiped my syringe down and put it inside. Then I flamed the needle, Suirted about .5 a CC out to cool and knocked up a jar. Then the next, ect ect.

Incubation - After 3-7 days I'll notice a terrible smell...Dun dun dun....lol...

So far i've probably lost 50brf jars....out of about 52...

That's a TERRIBLE success ratio...

II Grain Prep. II

Soak for 30 hours. Then rinse for about 5 minutes. Sometimes I simmer for 10 mintues, Sometimes not. It depends on how the field capacity is looking (I use Agar's squeeze idea...)..Then I Either Mix with 20% Verm. OR I just load in QT. jars......Then I PC for 1.5 hours and let cool over nite and knock up pretty much the same way as brf.

About 70% of these jars were used with MY homemade syringes...So that's what I thought my Problem was...But I used Ralph's and got the same results...

I must be missing something, So i'm hoping that you guys in the shroomery community can help me figure out what it is with some questions or ideas.

I'm kind of running out of options and getting rather frustrated with such a great amount of failure :frown:

Well thankx and Tc

-Gnostic

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4498906 - 08/05/05 07:15 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh Yeah.

I meant to mention that EVEN when I do G2G, Myc. will NOT COLONIZE the brf OR the Wbs...=/

-Gnostic

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
    #4498969 - 08/05/05 08:17 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like you need to clean your glovebox more or somehting to that effect.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: lesstutrey]
    #4498981 - 08/05/05 08:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would clean everything down with bleach and start using LC's. People say it is hard to spot contams in a LC but it is harder to spot them in a syringe! though I am sure Ralphsters are good. Make a large LC and some test jars with small amounts of substrate to test the LC on.
Everything you are doing sounds right though, so I can only wish good luck and don't give up.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineCheesekiller
Mad Scientist
Male

Loc: Central NY
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: blackout]
    #4498991 - 08/05/05 08:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The only time I ever got contams in my jars, I blamed it on the syringes. I know it sounds bad, but the way to test this out is to try it with a good print. Then if you get con-tams it must be in the air, or someone is sabotaging them. (boy lets hope not that!!)

With clean syringes I have never gotten a contamination in the jars. Of course I use organic popcorn as my base colony, but I don't think that should make that much of a difference.

Cheesekiller

--------------------
Bulk grower with "some" success.

Cloning Machine 

Nice Lids

A few pics of my DT setup

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: lesstutrey]
    #4498996 - 08/05/05 08:47 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"inoculation - Wiped my GB down w/ alcohol. Then my jars and then quickly put them inside. Then I wiped down my lighter, Put it inside. Then I wiped my syringe down and put it inside. Then I flamed the needle, Suirted about .5 a CC out to cool and knocked up a jar. Then the next, ect ect."

Every time you put an object into the GB your exchanging the air with your hand/arm movements into it. I would suggest putting everything in the GB then wiping the whole thing with an alcohol soaked paper towel and then your hands while inside.
Im not sure if you've done this but, wipe the needle tip with alcohol after every other jar.

You could flame the needle, wrap in an alcohol paper towel then set it inside your GB.

If you boil brf jars I would suggest an hour n a half.

I think a sweet smell=wet spot, not sure tho(too damn early)
If so, then there is a possibility of substraights being too wet.

As far as not colonizing, Have you checked to see if the grain has a coating, or a fungicide added of some sort to them maybe the company just started adding it?...
For g2g's, are you sure of the age of the culture, (not too old) or dried out, or frozen or got too hot at some time in its storage.

I dont know man, Im sure you will figure something out, Have you considered a hepa unit?

Take care n be safe...

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: ultralight]
    #4499180 - 08/05/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

LC's for me - SUCK and they all are contam. prone - More so than anything else.

UL - You're probably right...But, I do sterilyze the room first...lol....And I do light the needle and then alcohol swab it...

:shrug:

I think i'ma check for fungi-cides...That might be the case for the Wbs...

But as for the Brf....=/

-Gnostic

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4499260 - 08/05/05 11:35 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

the kitchen sink can breed more bacteria then a public toilet.
pore some bleach down the drain, and check underneath to make sure you don't have any leaks.
also open up some windows and get some fresh air in the house.
and, ionizers are like bug zappers for mold spores.
hope this helps, we would hate to lose you, and you would be sorely missed.

OfflineSilkSteel
Nomad

Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: deanofmean]
    #4499273 - 08/05/05 11:41 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I like to boil my jars for at least an hour and a half... haven't had any problems yet. I'm still waiting for the last set of jars to show myc growth - should be either today or tomorrow (the 4th day).

OfflineLiquid_Silver
Stranger

Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: SilkSteel]
    #4499418 - 08/05/05 12:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

IGnosticAbhorI, I have read many of your post & I can tell you know much more then my self, So I'll just throw this out. I'm sure you have already thought of this and might have already done this, How about starting over fresh, new jars, new syringe, new brf, etc. Any thing and every thing you think might need to be new. If you have the extra cash. I would be more then happy to send you a few new jars and a new syringe. If that would help you.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: Liquid_Silver]
    #4499533 - 08/05/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would also start prett fresh. When it gets bad like that, its time to shut down the cycle, clean everything up and out, toss jars that get co0ntams instead of cleaning them and buy new jars, and up sterilization time about 30 minutes. Try with birdseed again, add some verm though before loading into the jars (dry to soak up some of the extra moisture). That seems to be a solvant to many problems resulting in poor germination and to wet..it gives something to balance moisture quickly and quickly absorb whatever you inject it with. Try again with new vendors syringes, honestly I've had a few contam from ralph, more then others..I've ordered more from ralph though so that could be why, and not a high number or anything..if you start with new jars and sterilize longer and your still getting them all to contam, its probably either where your knocking the jars up, or what you knock them up with. I would make sure to simmer the birdseed too for 10-15 minutes or so. Good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
    #4499552 - 08/05/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

NO WAY MAN!!!
You've responded to several of my cries for help on this site. There's no way you're leaving us that easily, punk ass!
Sounds like there's a good chance your WBS is a fungicidal maniac, I just bought some expensive shit thinking it would be so much better, it was almost all millet and wheat. Looked like I wouldn't even have to do anything but soak first.... then, nothing. It just F@%king sat there, looking stupid for like three weeks, then it got sweet rot. The bigger bulk bag, the better.
Go through and clean the living shit out of everything, I mean like you got some F#%kng anthrax in your home! Kill every living organism in on or around your jars, storage, instruments and workspace. Then when you're sure you've done it, do it again!
What kind of GB do you have? I agree on the ionizer, they kick ass!
Don't give up on us man! There's always room for improvement, and sometimes you're mushies have to tell you where that is, don't freak, just look into every detail of your technique and find places to improve, learning is what this life is about!
GL IA!
IMO contams are very adaptable, alternate your sterilization proceedures and chemicals to keep them off gaurd.

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4499636 - 08/05/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Nostic, sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Sounds like you're doing things right, but why do you PC your grain but boil your jars. Losing 50 out of 52, I think I'd give PC'ing them a try.

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: HippieChick]
    #4499860 - 08/05/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Err, um yeah. what she said. Also, R U using tap or bottled water?

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: austio_ferocious]
    #4500151 - 08/05/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Are you using a lot of fans or AC in your house? It's very possible that the filters in your house are contaminated and they're blowing spores all over the house. Change the filters in anything that blows air. The ducts themselves may be lined with mold. If you use a swamp cooler you might also have the same issue. If you have a mold problem in your house you will need to take extra extra precautions. This is a big problem especially in the NorthWest US.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4500219 - 08/05/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Check your pm. :grin:

NEVER GIVE UP

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: agar]
    #4500264 - 08/05/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry to hear about those damn contams man.. It seems like your doing things right, and i know your not missing any extremely importmant step because you've been able to answer almost all of the questions ive asked on this board. It sounds to me like you have alot of mold spores in your house. If i were you id invest in getting enough hepa filters to filter your whole housse, use alot of oust whenever your doing anything. and of course, start over everything.

Happy Trails and GL to ya bro

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4500272 - 08/05/05 03:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's been nice knowing you Iggy...

take care!~

blahahahaaaaaaa

stick around biotch....

you know you aint going anywhere!~

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: Roadkill]
    #4500328 - 08/05/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What are you using for air filtration for you jar tops Gnostic? When I was using tyvek, I had contam city. Then I switched to polyfill, and not one outside contamination, just mold from contammed syringes.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
Re: Nostic, Giving up? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4500495 - 08/05/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Where do you get polyfill at?

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation