Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Loc: Vancouver, BC
Acid casualties - need info
    #4493740 - 08/04/05 02:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It has always been my understanding that LSD is a safe drug. I have had numerous mushroom trips and two LSD trips that have only shown me the beautiful side of psychedelics.

However, after reading some posts about acid casualties, I want to become more educated.

Firstly, what are acid casualties?

Secondly, how do they occur?

The second question interests me the most because I tend to error on the side of caution. Making the assumption that becoming an acid casualty is something I want to avoid, is this related to the dosage and frequency of taking LSD? Are psychedelic voyagers who take infrequent, moderate doses somewhat immune to this fate, or is this something that is not dose or frequency dependent?

I realize that a lot of us here are pro-drug at some level, which may tip the scales away from a more balanced, realistic view of the realities of drug use and abuse. What I would like is some serious advice from those experienced with long term implications of moderate, infrequent LSD usage.

I had to confront this same issue with MDMA and was able to find my way through it by lots of research, moderate and infrequent usage and a trusted source of the chemical. I am now very comfortable with the MDMA state.

Although some will argue that MDMA is a more 'dangerous' drug than LSD, I have a great life and a brilliant future and want to make an informed decision regarding LSD usage that includes what can go wrong and the downside to long term LSD usage instead of just looking at how amazing the experience can be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChRoNiCk420
untitled

Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: Tranceport]
    #4493751 - 08/04/05 02:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by acid casualties.

I've been taking acid for ~1.5 years. The past 6-8 months have been of pretty heavy use, 2+ times a month usually. As far as I can tell there are no negative effects, only positive ones(imo).

Someone who I know has been taking acid since 1974. Until he was unable to find good acid(~2000) his usage was pretty heavy; at least once a month probably. Now he has acid again and takes it almost every week. He also has experienced no negative effects.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by acid casualties?

--------------------
Nothing's more magical than a mushroom. =)
-----.-'~~~-.
---.'o oOOOo`.
--:~~~-.oOo o`.
---`. \ ~-. oOOo.
-----`.; / ~. OO:
-----.' ;-- `.o.'
----,' ; ~~--'~
----; ;
_\\;_\\//_

OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: ChRoNiCk420]
    #4493755 - 08/04/05 02:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sure, I'll be glad to elaborate.

Some posts have referred to things such as "and there are always the 60's rejects and acid casualties at those raves" or from people who have been using since the 60's or 70's who talk about having lost various friends as casualties of acid.

I'm assuming that this term refers to people who for whatever reason went a bit off the deep end and never were quite able to integrate back into the default reality. I realize that people don't trip forever, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Edited by Tranceport (08/04/05 02:38 AM)

OfflineChRoNiCk420
untitled

#4493803 - 08/04/05 02:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm still not sure what you mean, but I'll give it a try.

The more you trip, the more detached from reality you become. This can take effect in a few ways; internal conflict with conforming to "normality", becoming just a little weirder, and all out crazyness(as perceived by others). Which way depends on who you are, how much you trip, how hard you trip, etc.

Having tripped a bunch in a not too long period of time, I have definately noticed myself changing. In my head, I feel that I am pretty crazy most of the time, and outwardly I am definately a bit weirder. I dont see either of these as bad things. I'm perfectly comfortable with my own insanity, and as for the outward weirdness, it doesn't inhibit any kind of social interactions or anything like that. If anything, it has made me more unique in the eyes of others, albeit a little flaky at times.

For someone who trips alot more frequently, and for a longer period of time, these effects will be much more pronounced. To the average, clean stiff, someone who has been taking acid alot for many years will probably seem like quite a weirdo, if not a complete lunatic(this is not true in all cases). To someone who has watched their friend go through the psychological changes induced by tripping, it is conceivable that they might feel like they have "lost" their friend. People change, but most likely the original persona is still there, no matter how far deep in.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Physically, as you seem to already know, acid is perfectly safe. Unless you are planning on taking acid every day or several times a week for many years, the psychological effects you will experience will be farrrrrrrrr from making you an "acid casualty" .

The reason people say MDMA is more dangerous is because there are known negative physical effects from frequent usage of this substance. From a psychological standpoint, MDMA is a gift from above(or sideways, or down, w/e floats your boat)

Hope that helped

--------------------
-----.-'~~~-.
---.'o oOOOo`.
---`. \ ~-. oOOo.
-----`.; / ~. OO:
-----.' ;-- `.o.'
----,' ; ~~--'~
----; ;
_\\;_\\//_

OfflineTranceport
Traveler
    #4493836 - 08/04/05 03:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think you kind of touched the root of my concern. Unlike some users of psychedelics, I'm not your dedicated psychonaut taking therapeutic dosages of LSD to completely blow the lid off the universe. Quite frankly, I find tripping on moderate doses to be rewarding if not necessarily always fun. The trippy thoughts, insights into my psyche, the incredible nature of music and the mental imagery are some of the main reasons I like to trip.

What I don't want to do is risk tripping myself into a state where I've undergone so much psychological change that I'm no longer "functional" at a level considered quasi-normal in default reality.

For example, a girl at work who I have befriended apparently has taken a shitload of acid in her life. She claims she used to sell it in high school. Only knowing her for about a year I can't claim to know what makes her tick, but she's....well.....different. She possesses this certain spacey quality and a certain eccentricity that sometimes presents a challenge in the workplace. Whether or not this is due to heavy acid usage I have no idea, but I have my suspicions.

I realize when you're imbibing powerful psychoactives that you take certain risks, but I guess sometimes I'm worried just what psychedelics might have to show me and how I will react. I come from an intensely spiritual background, so I'm not scared of mystical experiences but I have experienced enough to know that sometimes when you go through those experiences, those events are life changing whether or not you want them to be.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #4493921 - 08/04/05 04:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Find Syd Barret, then you will understand clearly

:rasta:,

mycomancer

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: Mycomancer]
    #4493951 - 08/04/05 05:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, sometimes tripping can bring u back to reality though.

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

OfflineLysergicRide
Excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4493962 - 08/04/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

After I tripped. I realized "damn, I really do have big feet" Before then my size 13 feet always seemed normal. hmmm Ofcourse that isn't what you guys are talking about, but after my firt and only trip so far those are the kinds of small things I have noticed differently.

--------------------
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down... And the eyes in his head see the world spinning around

"I can't tell if I'm coming up or down"

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4493965 - 08/04/05 05:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

IMO, tripping enlightens you to a different way of things. This new awareness is what I believe to be the "crazy". When one is functioning under normal circumstances after taking acid before, they are aware of "the other side of things" and that inner knowledge could be construed as insanity, when really it's just a different way of looking at the world. People who haven't tripped before will say it's crazy simply because they don't know what it's like and they never will unless they themselves undergo an LSD experience.

Invisiblebwalker
The BodyElectric
Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: Newbie]
    #4493993 - 08/04/05 06:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

One point you haven't covered is any latent psychological disorders, especially ones that may be inherited. Schizophrenia usually presents itself in men in their late teens/early 20s and may be brought on by a traumatic experience--something that a rough trip might be considered. Of course, the odds of it happening are quite slim. However if you have a family history of mental disorders, you may want to keep that in mind.

In reality, a hit of acid most likely won't leave you panhandling on the street while yelling about the fucking bugs. Like others said, it's years of hard use that takes its toll on some people.

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: bwalker]
    #4494009 - 08/04/05 06:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Tripping made me practice my jazz a whole lot more as I realised if I'm going to make a career out of guitar, I'm going to have to work hard as there is competition.

--------------------
Manitou

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4494035 - 08/04/05 06:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I was almost an acid casualty 4 years ago listen to this story
Me and two friend droped 5 hits and went to an observatory for a Pink Floyd laser show, after the show we went outside to look at the city lights, when this was happening I felt uncomfatorable, I asked my friend to take me home, on our way home driving down the freeway I began to think he wasnt taking me home, he was going to kill me and bury me out in the middle of nowhere, I freaked out and started punching both of my friends while driving, they both where bleeding badly and they pulled over, I ran out of the car because I thought they where going to chase me, instead they took off and left me on the freeway during a bad trip, things only got worse, I thought I was dieing I thought the cops where after me, I was running around on the freeway like a madman! I saw headlights coming and I dont know why I thought of this but I was thinking that if I got hit by a car I would go to the hospital and get help, I jumped in front of the car and I woke up in the hospital and I couldnt remember what happened, the car hit me going 70 mph, I broke my femur, pelvis, ankle, and punctured my blatter and was bleeding internally they gave me 6 pints of blood during my 3 month stay at the hospital. I can walk fine and I am alive today luckily. I dont go on bad trips anymore and I have learned to allways be with people who really care abouyt you who will calm you down even if your going psycho.....

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: djsage420]
    #4494041 - 08/04/05 07:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know if that would ever happen to me. I can't say that with 100% security but I'm pretty comfortable with my trips, and I have a good method of reassuring myself that any paranoia is just the drug, because I've proven it to be true EVERY time I've come out of it. I guess it all goes with experience.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
    #4494150 - 08/04/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The people of that time your talking about were taking crystal CONSTANTLY. Thats pure acid..things like thumbprints, which is thousands of hits at once. You dont have to worry from any dosages youll be doing...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineChRoNiCk420
untitled

Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4494161 - 08/04/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

that sucks djsage, but you cant blame something like that on the acid.

besides, thats not the type of casualty we are talking about

--------------------
-----.-'~~~-.
---.'o oOOOo`.
---`. \ ~-. oOOo.
-----`.; / ~. OO:
-----.' ;-- `.o.'
----,' ; ~~--'~
----; ;
_\\;_\\//_

OfflineJabbawaya

#4494420 - 08/04/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Someone who has flipped out from taking acid, pretty much permanently, could be considered an "acid casualty," I guess. It has a lot to do with undiagnosed latent mental disorders brought to the surface through traumatic experiences on the drug (i.e. massively bad trip).

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4494424 - 08/04/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Acid casualties are also refered to by some people (usually those like chinacat and those in the family) as those who were busted while spreading the love.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGamera

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4494448 - 08/04/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think you are getting good advice here. If you are predisposed to mental illness you need to treat psychedelics very, very carefully. They can make things quite a bit worse.

I had a close friend who took a moderate dose of acid and developed a serious anxiety disorder for several months requiring anti-psychotic medications. He fully recovered, but it was not a nice time for him.

Walk around Peoples Park in Berkley and you get a sense of what people mean by acid casualties. The fact is, most of those would probably be in pretty bad shape even absent acid.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Offlinesyanesso
100% pupil

Loc: Evergreen State
    #4495223 - 08/04/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ChRoNiCk420 said:
that sucks djsage, but you cant blame something like that on the acid.
about

:shrug: i highly doubt that if djsage was in a sober state of mind he would have considered his friends kidnappers and murderers.

--------------------
make sure it bruises blue

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Acid casualties - need info [Re: syanesso]
    #4495257 - 08/04/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i thought acid causualties referred to the people on too much acid. IE those on a bad or bum, or just heavy trip.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies