Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
wallace's amanitas
    #4484439 - 08/02/05 06:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This has been an amanita summer, so I am going to make a thread. I have been diligently downloading photos every night intending to make one big post. But I keep finding more! I have had a lot of problems identifying these things, so these are tentative guesses, and not intended as ids. I intended to do a lot better job of id-ing them--half the time I didn't even get a decent shot of the cap. And I always think I will remember how big they are, and when you look at the pictures at home you forget. And some of these species are unique to Japan. I use Hongo's guide and he identified quite a few amanitas, so of course they ended up in his guide. So what I want to know from you is the following:
How can I take better pictures without bringing my mushrooms home with me?
What are some of the key features that you see in my photos that would eliminate a lot of possibilities?
Here goes.
This one had a cap about 5cm and a stalk about 7. I have called it A. alboflavescens

The next one I am not sure of. My photos are particularly inadequate here.

It had a 12 cm cap and 14cm stalk. Pine forest.

This one I am pretty sure is A. psuedoporphyria.

I saw many this day. Pine trees, and size pretty much as above.
Well that is it for tonight.

--------------------
Wallace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: wallace]
    #4484896 - 08/02/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hai!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4485434 - 08/02/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think those photos are pretty good. Interesting specimens, too.

You will probably want to check out Dr Tulloss' page if you haven't already. He's one of the world authorities on the genus Amanita.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4486698 - 08/02/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pics  :thumbup:

The second one looks like it could be Amanita porphyria.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #4487025 - 08/02/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Once again! Nice pics man.. I love to look at your photos!

Yessup

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: YESSUP]
    #4488660 - 08/03/05 04:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback. I have got lots more of these suckers, so brace yourself.
I think I can id A. rubescens now.

I posted some of these before. They bruise a kind of red, indistinct volva, and the veil remnants near the center of the cap are reddish too.
These I don't know, because the cap coloring has me puzzled. The cap was about 15 cm, and the stalk about 18cm. Striations on the cap. I found them in two places, so I am going to put both sets up, because they look slightly different.

These I found in another park, and I can't help but think they are the same, though the volva looks more scaly.

What do you think they are? To me they have a collar-like volva, an annulus that will drop away, and a kind of scurfy stalk. Very close gills.
More tomorrow.

--------------------
Wallace

Invisiblewallace
Male

#4493994 - 08/04/05 06:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am still going to think about these copper colored caps--I now think they are different species, and when I finally get time, I am going to go back and compare them on the basis of their volvas, cap colors, and stalk texture.
These ones, though, I think are ceciliae. If you have an opinion about that, I would like to hear it--doesn't appear to be a Japanese mushroom. I still have 3 more amanitas to go and I may wait to post them up here until they are all uploaded.

Wow, beautiful mushroom.
I checked out the Tuloss page, TM, thank you. I was not familiar with it. Identifying mushrooms is a long, long-term project. I am kind of attracted to the idea of doing amanitas as first project. I live in an area of Japan without a lot of rainfall, and I have found quite a few amanitas just the same.

--------------------
Wallace

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #4494018 - 08/04/05 06:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

that family pic is saweeet

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #4494584 - 08/04/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

That last mushroom is beautiful! I've never seen an amanita with such dark patches. The young one almost looks like an old man of the woods!

Offlinecucumel
Stranger
Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: nycomyco]
    #4496379 - 08/04/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hongo is a mushrooms researcher? naaa, can't be true!!!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4496654 - 08/04/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Those last ones certainly look to be in the group of species around A. ceciliae. A couple species from eastern Asia that are very similar are A. cinctipes, described from Malaya and Singapore, and A. liquii, described from Yunan province in China.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblewallace
Male

#4498995 - 08/05/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have not had much time to hunt recently, but I did go for a hike recently, without high hopes because it sure as hell hasn't been raining around here. However I came across a grove of THESE among some deciduous trees. The insect repellant is 18cm tall. Friggen HUGE I must say.

What amanita can throw something this bloody big that does not have a pronounced volva other than rubescens? I am at a loss.
And then I found this white fella.

My watch is there for sizing. I would like to draw your attention to the sweat on it--I busted my ass in 35 degrees to get to my mushroom. I believe it to be A. virgineodes. It was originally thought to be a Japanese mushroom, but has been found in Korea and China too. Deadly poisonous.

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4499199 - 08/05/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Subgenus Lepidella has a bunch of species that don't have a volva. That last one looks like it's probably one of them. The deadly toxins in them are still unknown.

Those are great specimens.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblewallace
Male

#4503268 - 08/06/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, this is to be my last amanita installment. The first mushroom is A. abrupta. The cap was about 6cm, and the stalk about 12cm. The broad abrupt basal bulb, and the close gills should have it. To tell you the truth, part of the reason I have incomplete pictures of these is that I always see snakes when I hike this particular area, and I was wearing shorts so I wanted to get the hell back on the hiking trail. abrupta should be quite poisonous.

These ones should be A. vaginata, and edible. They appeared white when I photographed them, but showed a brown tinge when I looked at them on the monitor. They were about 10 cm tall, with a 4cm cap. Volva as you see it.

Again, comments are welcome!

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4503633 - 08/06/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A high percentage (if not all) of the ringless Amanita species are edible. Since the genus has a lot of unknown species I wouldn't use that as my only criterion for identifying the edible species, but it's a good place to start. Of course, you also have to be careful to be sure the ring didn't just fall off.

Great specimens, again.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblewallace
Male

#4823968 - 10/19/05 06:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooming is the weirdest thing--your most spectacular finds are when it is too dry for mushrooms to fruit, or the terrain to inhospitable, or you are just thinkin your own selfish thoughts. Today as I made my way home at commuter speed on my bicycle, I spotted a grove of pantherinas right on the side of a dry toxic roadway. 40 to 0 in 4 nano-seconds...I have been interested in finding A. pantherina since last year when I found one and didn't properly id it. I have a couple of other pictures if you want to challenge me on this one.

Cheers,

--------------------
Wallace

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4824117 - 10/19/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice wallace. Your ID skills are getting stronger, too.
I don't have anything to add, I think you did fine and will continue to get better.

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4903459 - 11/07/05 05:21 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I found these last weekend too growing on leaf litter in deciduous forest.

Should be A. citrina. The caps were only about 6cm across. The color was a faint yellow-green. Stalk was solid. The scales on the cap seemed to only cover part of the caps on most specimens. Well-formed annulus. Edibility unknown--think we will give this one a pass.

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineH_Wrabbit
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, Oregon
    #4903515 - 11/07/05 06:32 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I love your pictures man.

--------------------
Eat psilocybes, listen to A Silver Mt. Zion, read Howard Bloom and Tom Brown Jr, walk into the forest.

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: wallace's amanitas [Re: H_Wrabbit]
    #5117920 - 12/29/05 05:29 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I am a little confused with my Amanitas. What I am posting here is the last set of Amanita photos from this fall. GGreatone, please leave it in the hunting forum where it has been residing so far. It is a work in progress rather than an id request.

Mature and immature specimen. The large cap was about 5 or 6 cm in diameter.
You can see some zoning on the cap. Striations toward the margin.

The distinguishing characteristic of this mushroom was its fragility. It readily broke in half, and you can see where the insects have been at it. Sac-like volva.

A close up of the volva--I kind of just yanked it out, but it is pretty much intact.

Gill shot...

Hollow stipe.
It was growing in a mixed deciduous forest on October 10. All of this leads me to believe that it is a variant of vaginata, providing I have got the real vaginata id-ed correctly above.

And please take a look at the two sets of golden caps on page one of this post. The way I see it, they have to be pantherinas, given the state of the veil and the collar-like volva, but the cap color is weird, and I still don't know where to put them. I am not sure they are the same.
The other problem is with the large mushroom with the can of insectant. Unless it is rubescens, no Amanita this large with a non-pronounced volva should be here.

--------------------
Wallace

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract