Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
in and out
    #4491894 - 08/03/05 10:50 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Buddhists say that the ultimate goal is the "end of suffering" Inside, most of us want lasting fulfillment and we look to what happens as a means to get this fulfillment. There are many connotations that can come up when a person thinks of "ending suffering" It is important to look at life's outer journey, as well as life's inner journey.

The outer journey has to deal with your goals and a destination, to accomplish what you are setting out to do, to achieve this or gain that. this deals with what you are doing and where you are, all which implies the future. But if the steps you are taking towards that future take up so much of your attention that you ignore most of the steps you are taking now, we ignore life's inner journey.

the inner journey has nothing to deal with "what" or "where" and everything to deal with "how" How is the quality of your consciousness at this very moment? The outer journey can have many steps and belongs to the horizontal aspect of time, while your inner journey belongs to the vertical dimension of the timeless "now" This concerns the deepening into "being" which only has one step, the one your are taking this very moment.

Talking of ultimate goal has to deal with lasting fulfillment. The outer journey can't fulfill always because it is subject to the impermanence of things. you can have all the outer riches in the world and be poor on the inside. Whats most important is how you deal with the day to day activities, how you mind reacts to reality. fulfillment doesn't happen in the future, it happens now

this is the inner journey, the journey into yourself.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBumser10
Stranger
Re: in and out [Re: kaiowas]
    #4491945 - 08/03/05 10:58 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

"The outer journey can have many steps and belongs to the horizontal aspect of time, while your inner journey belongs to the vertical dimension of the timeless "now"

Great Post, the quote above I took notice to it seems that alot of people are so buisy planning for the future and making sure it runs the track they have chosen. That they never notice the "now" part of life a part of them is always in the future.

Edited by Bumser10 (08/03/05 10:59 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: in and out [Re: kaiowas]
    #4493912 - 08/04/05 06:46 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

yes in and out - directions

"ultimate goal" is a direction.
translated as an absolute makes it less buddhist, less natural.
translated as "go towards not suffering" is more natural (more yoda too)

inner and outer merge to one thing at a time.

time, well, only on a chart will time be horizontal (or directioned), thisness is off the charts.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology