Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
My Apartment Lease.
    #4491452 - 08/03/05 07:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hi friends.

I posted a while back about my runins with my apartment complex, and how they like to trot in whenever they please without warning. It does not say in the lease that they need to give ANY notice, wich really sucks, but I did catch something.

It says that upon request, a keyless deadbolt will be installed by the property owner, and may have a fee associated. And if you leave kids alone, you should get the keyless deadbolt, and tell your kids not to let anyone in, even maintenence.

Well i went to the front office the other day, and asked for a keyless deadbolt, and i got stared at like a freak.

Hey reply was "If we do that, then we cant come in."

what bullshit reply is that.

So i explined that there might be kids staying alone, and I leave my girlfriend home while I work, and i want extra security.

"But what if there is an emergency, and we need to get in" she says.

We will be home! i told her.

"Oh okay, I dont know if we allow this."

It was in the lease.

"Well ill have to see, ill get back to you"

Its been over a week, and she hasnt done anything. The lease specifies that a lock WILL be provided upon request. If they do not do so in a timely manner, are they breaking the lease?

Could they be in any legal trouble, or is all that I can do is break my lease early without paying the early termination fee.

I dont want to move, because i like the place, its just run by a bunch of assholes who dont have any respect for the tenants.

I dont know what to do, maintenence came in already when we were home, sleeping, naked. I read the lease, and I guess they are allowed to do so.....doesnt seem right. I could pull a gun on them next time, but somehow i think that will make things worse. I just expect a bit of privacy in my own fucking home.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: tak]
    #4491620 - 08/03/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck that shit! It is your residence and you deserve privacy and advance warning of management visits. Move immediately.

Edited by RandalFlagg (08/03/05 08:06 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4491646 - 08/03/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Install the deadbolt yourself. Costs maybe ten bucks and takes twenty minutes to do with a screwdriver. Problem solved.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: Phred]
    #4491674 - 08/03/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well i kind of would like to move. Not necesarily, but i dunno. I just dont want to pay the rediculous amount $2,000 for breaking my lease. I want to know if by them not doing as the lease says they must, then I can break it without having to pay. I just dont have the resources to move, its so time consuming.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: Phred]
    #4491678 - 08/03/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Dunno what to do, its a pain in my ass, i dont want my rights trampled, but i dont wanna have to deal with moving and taking time off work, etc

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4492560 - 08/03/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

if i were you id find somewhere else, ask them again politely to fulfill the lease agreement as it states or they would be in default of the lease allowing you to move out without consequence, trust me you dont want to stay in a complex that continually steps all over your rights, sad part is unless you can get them to default youre stuck. im moving to an apartment complex soon and trust me, ive been asking people around different complexes how the management is, i dont need some fuckin walker texas ranger do-gooder walking in and out of my place whenever the hell he feels like it. if im going to pay damn good money to live there i want my privacy.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4493182 - 08/03/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am with Phred. Deadbolts are cheap and easy to figure out.

To install a "keyless" deadbolt, it will probably cost you about $4.00 and take you 20 minutes. You don't even have to drill a hole through the door, and that is why it is "keyless".

The knock on that is that when you leave you can't prevent them from coming in.

Spend the fucking 4 bucks already! Do that today. Seriously.

I own some apartments myself. In the lease I have to give them "reasonable" notice. But I am cool as fuck with my tenants, so they generally don't care if I have to get in there in a pinch.

Could I ask you why they are coming into your apartment? I always have a legitimate reason...plumbing,electric, bug extermination or whatever. If they are coming in to spray for bugs ask them to inform you of the schedule. All those guys do is take 2 minutes and spray the baseboards, and they don't give a fuck about you. I need more information on that.

Trust me, no sane landlord wants to pay his staff just to come in and hang out with you for no good reason.

I am a cool landlord just because I remember dealing with dick landlords. My best story on that was when a pipe bust and flooded my apartment. I obviously complained. The landlord came in and was critical of how I kept my apartment. Like I should have cleaned up a bit. I snapped back at that motherfucker because my place would have been somewhat neater had it not been for the flood.

Get to know you maintenance guys. Those will be the guys that have to come in. In general, while some landlords can be dicks, most don't give a fuck about you one way or the other unless you are trashing the place. Relax, and spend the 4 bucks and install that deadbolt yourself.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4493265 - 08/04/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I,m with the others, on doing the keyless yourself if you have too.
But dont break the lease, it will only hurt you down the line.
But, what you can do is find out who the REAL owners of the complex are,
and call, or e-mail them for problems. I was having trouble once
with the manager, and you would not believe how things changed once
I got hold of her owner, she went from a bitch to the nicest person.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4493418 - 08/04/05 12:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

installing the deadbolt could be a breach of your lease.

if these fucks have rules built in that allow them to
come in willy-nilly, then they probably have something
that says no repairs can be made without notice and
approval.

I don't understand this at all...but I'd just keep following
up on the lock and send them a copy of your lease with
the pertinent section highlighted.

curiously, why do these people enter your home? what's
the premise?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: afoaf]
    #4493874 - 08/04/05 03:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

the last t ime was to change all the outlets by any water source to GFCI's, other time was to check for mold, and 2 other times were for legitimate requests that were put in 14 days prior, wich i dont see reasonable time, and too long for us to still "expect" them to be coming in.
I've only been here 2 months

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4493989 - 08/04/05 06:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just stick a real lock on your bedroom door and lock it whenever you leave.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4495354 - 08/04/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Don't install the lock. Its cheap and easy but then YOU are they one in violation of the lease. Don't withhold rent either... but threatening to withhold rent generally will get the attention of a bad landlord.

Continute demanding that they install the lock. Ask once more in person and bring your lease and show them the proper clause. If they do not install the lock, then you should send a letter and keep a copy. If the letter gets no where, call them, tell them they are in violation of the lease and have defaulted and the unit will be vacated at your nearest opportunity.

As far as legal trouble. Civil legal trouble. It is very likely you will need to sue to get your deposit back fairly. Just file in small claims court.

Oh, one more thing. If you know the name of the owner, check the court docket for cases, past and present. Its a good idea to do this before considering any new landlord.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4495578 - 08/04/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just stop paying rent and do everything in writing, including a demand that they not enter your apartment without an appointment except with a warrant or for an emergency. This is a right you have regardless of the lease. Make them sue you. Make them evict you.

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4503319 - 08/06/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Man what a load of bad advice!

Coming from some one who has experience being screwed over by bad complexes!

#1) Telling them in person means NOTHING! send them a certified return recite letter. Make two copies and staple the return recite to your copy.
#2) Include a copy of the lease with the appropriate sections highlighted.
#3) Make sure you put in the letter, "Failure to comply with this request within 30 days will constitute a breach of contract."

Here is what you can expect from them

#1) They make the needed change (Has never happened for me but they might do it)

#2) They send you a letter that states "This is a notice of a change to the lease" it then goes on to exclude the sections you are requesting they uphold. (That has happened to me a few times)

#3) They tell you they are not going to do it and if you do not like it you can move or sue them. (This happened to me once)

You will find that, if you move out over it, they will still list the owed money (For breach of contract) on your credit report. So you will need to keep a copy of the lease and the letter you sent them for up to 8 years. DO NOT LOOSE IT! you may have to justify the bad spot on your credit report and that is proof that they were in breach!

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4503354 - 08/06/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This is the reason why I don't feel comfortable growing anything in my apartment. 

One day recently, I came home to find that my door was locked in a way that I never lock it (by the knob).  Then, I walk in and find that my kitchen light is on (I'm pretty damn sure I turned it off).  Not only was the kitchen light on, but it was detached from the ceiling and hanging by it's wires.  :confused:

I had left my bong out.  :shiftyeyes:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: Learyfan]
    #4503402 - 08/06/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Buy your own house.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #4504115 - 08/06/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #4508131 - 08/07/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, they are coming to install a lock. I would really like a lock that i can lock from outside though. I found a chain lock, like most doors have, except this one had a lock, and it was possible to reach in from the outside, and lock it before you go out. That way when they come to the door, and unlock it, they will be caught on the chain, and probably assume someone is home and sleeping/showering, even though the are not. The only problem is, it requires skinny hands, and alot of manuvering wich can be a pain in the ass, but worth it, im sure.

Thanks for the help everyone

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#4509875 - 08/08/05 08:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

owned.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: My Apartment Lease. [Re: Grav]
    #4510011 - 08/08/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

*pwned

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder