Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Casing or PF Jars?
    #4491584 - 08/03/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am a first time grower and am trying to decide which would be better.. i think to start im just going to try the PF Jars however.. what is the difference and which works better?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnson657
Stranger

Re: Casing or PF Jars? [Re: PerfectlyDefectd]
    #4491595 - 08/03/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

casings are better, but for a first timer u might try cakes, either way you'll need the jars to colonize the mycellium. peace

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4491604 - 08/03/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You get bigger and more fruits on a casing, this can be tricky for a first timer, if you think your ready to case go ahead and do it, I have never fruited off of a cake I went straight to casings but I also had a lot of problems on the way.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineHeinous_Anus
S.D.M.F.

Re: Casing or PF Jars? [Re: johnson657]
    #4491608 - 08/03/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, from what I've read and researched; If you're a first timer, go with the cakes.

The casings will get you bigger and more flushes, but its also a more risk for contams.

Good luck. :smile:

--------------------

I didn't go to college. I went to Ozzy Osbourne University. - Zakk Wylde

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Casing or PF Jars? [Re: djsage420]
    #4491613 - 08/03/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok I am going to go with cakes atleast for the first couple of times.. but what is the difference in the two methods.. i am familiar with cakes but have no idea what casing is

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4491624 - 08/03/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Casings kick ass over cakes, ive never done a cake b4 went straight on to casings and was really quite simple... if u do a bit of reading :wink:
I recommend u have a look at this link, hyphaes casing tek, and if u have any other questions after readin that then go ahead and ask.
If u do a casin u wont be disappointed, maybe do some cakes at the same time so u can see the difference in results, then u wont worry bout cakes agian unless its someones birthday.

I had some good results on my first casin so its not hard, i didnt even have an optimal casing, didnt use buffers, used too much coir and myc riped through and colinised surface unevely but still got about 1 onze off 3 broken up PF cakes on the first flush.

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflinetheBRINK
horse on moon
 User Gallery

Loc: the moon
Re: Casing or PF Jars? [Re: djsage420]
    #4491626 - 08/03/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if this is your first time start with the cakes... especially if you are having to ask which is better. i suggest you do some further reading and you'll see that the answers to your questions are right there
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23019

--------------------

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4491635 - 08/03/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Casing is where you break the cakes up and put it under a layer of non nutritious layer of soil or peat moss or coir and it fruits through this layer like so.....

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinedeficitism
woo woo

Loc: Fairfax VA
    #4491636 - 08/03/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

On the top navigation menu of this site: mouse over "mushroom information", "growing mushrooms", "cultivation FAQ", "casing". Ready, Set, LEARN.

--------------------
"Someday after mastering the winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love, and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire." -Teilhard de Chardin

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Casing or PF Jars? [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4491657 - 08/03/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Ignore all those newbs, as long as u practise sterile routines, like sterilising the casing mix b4 puting it on ya casin then your not gunna have any contams.
The only reason those ppl had problems is cos they didnt have a good casing tek at the time like hyphaes :wink:

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Hyphae or Hyphae related enterprises and do not receive any remuneration in return for mentioning his link.

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder