Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

looking for advice on inoculation procedure..
    #4456498 - 07/26/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OK so right now this is how I inoculate jars of grain.

I use a Waring blender and 1L SS container, sterilize the container around 3/4 full, blend up 2-3plates and use that to inoc 8 bags of grain. The bags of grain take about 9-10 days to fully colonize, if I shake it at day 3 or 4. If I do 1/2gallon jars of grain they are usually fully colonized in a week, with no shaking besides at time of inoculation.

My question is, would LC really get me anything? I am interested in the concept, have a stir plate + bars, and can easily make some dry malt extract water to ferment my blended myc in, but would I see any increase in colonization speed? Can it get any faster? Would I be able to use less inoc, say if I did the same, blended 2-3 plates of myc, and fermented them in a sugar broth constintly stirring for 3-4days, would I be able to use less of the broth to inoc the bags? Like get 16 bags per 3/4L broth.. etc?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: looking for advice on inoculation procedure.. [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4456601 - 07/26/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

In effect - you are creating an LC from 3/4 liter of water, then adding 2 or 3 colonized petri's, blending that - then inoculating with the solution.

I doubt - a straight LC - would give you faster colonization - than you have already.

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: looking for advice on inoculation procedure.. [Re: agar]
    #4456686 - 07/26/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i see ok.. so i am making 3/4L of LC.. what about taking that blended myc, and putting it into three seperate quart jars w/ a little bit of sterilized sugar broth, could i then, in three days, have three times the inoc? or would it just be diluted?

Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
    #4479716 - 08/01/05 01:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i have seen good results making about 4-5 new quart jars per one jar colonized. depending on strain and whether stirred or not id saythose 4 or 5 jars would be colonized in 3-7 days.

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4480971 - 08/01/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:

My question is, would LC really get me anything? I am interested in the concept, have a stir plate + bars, and can easily make some dry malt extract water to ferment my blended myc in,

Just a heads up you are trying to avoid fermentation in your LC. because that means you have yeast or some form of bacteria eating all the sugar and making a mess. Your a smart guy though and i bet it was just like when your thinking one word and type another. Just dont want anyone to get ocnfused

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: looking for advice on inoculation procedure.. [Re: xburn]
    #4485777 - 08/02/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I take an agar wedge, and add it to an Eberbach blender filled with 250ml distilled or R/O water. Blend in 3 one second bursts. Then I transfer the blended solution to 3-5 jars of Karo water in front of a flow hood. I rarely use stir plates, tho I have a nice one, just swirl a few times each day (even though the stir plate is optimal for many reasons...) This seems to work great for me
I have never done this, but according to Stamets, LC can be multiplied 100 times its size, so theoretically after incubating for 4 days, you could transfer these 3 to 300 new LC jars, and still have it be a viable and vigorous culture, but again I've never needed to expand LC's so far.
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: looking for advice on inoculation procedure.. [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4487955 - 08/02/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

LOL on the fermenation comment. He meant ferment, that's what it's often called when the mycelia grows through the LM, just like yeast fermenting in a wine cask.

Anyway, I think you could spead it up a little. If you read the liquid section in GG&MM (if you have, which it sounds like you do) you'll see how Stamets talks about the broken ends that get chopped branch and then grow in three dimensions. He (stamets) at least thinks that allowing the liquid to ferment for a few days will give better results.

And as to your question about the 3 jars, yes you can certainly do that, I don't think you will be just diluting it. If that were the case, why would pros regularly do just that rather than just using the blended agar solution? In fact, the specific method in GG&MM has the agar blended in solution in the eberbach, then transferred to 3 different vessels which are grown out on a stir plate or shaking table for a few days.

I would use a good LM formula based on dextrose and/or light malt extract and a pinch of your spawn and fruiting substrates thrown in to speed their ability to digest them.

And Jeremy, see Blue Helix's thread about his troubled casings, he started his LC with just a mL of liquid! That's far more than a 100x expansion and it certainly worked.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: looking for advice on inoculation procedure.. [Re: mycofile]
    #4489607 - 08/03/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wow! So a quart jar with 750ml's, could be transfered to 7500 new jars of LC. That's mycelial expansion! Thanks for the info!
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds