Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Loc: Ohio
Will heat kill my jars?
    #4488039 - 08/03/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm waiting on a PC to start my first grow, but I'm kind of worried that my apartment is too hot--the thermometer in my empty, unplugged TiT reads 83F right now, at night, after I've run the AC a bit. It must be over 100F when I first get home from work, before I run the AC.

Even if I wanted to leave the AC on all day, it's not thermostat-controlled, so it could still get too hot or too cold while I'm out. Is this going to be an issue for my jars? Any suggestions on how I can keep incubation temp down?

All the teks I've read just talk about heaters, but I've read that temps over 95F are bad. It's hard to believe a sub-tropical organism could be so sensitive to heat.

--------------------
"This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting." --Dreamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: Will heat kill my jars? [Re: jBEArWAuKeE]
    #4488136 - 08/03/05 12:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Large temp fluctuations can slow colonization and confuse mycellium.
Thermal death for mycellium has been established at 105F. If some mycellium survives there are chances that it will recolonize.
IMO you need consistency when it comes to temperatures.
IMO it would be better to have the temps a bit too low then too high.

Some ideas I have, if you got the money, there are thermostat controlled window A/c units that are around $120.00 that will keep a room at any temp you set it at...

There are also small personal refridgerators that have a digital thermostat that can be set at incubation temps or fruiting temps. Those run around $100.00....

Other than that, I dont know...but the temps will deffinitely need to be controllable and pretty consistent for a better chance of great results.

Good luck

Take care n be safe...

Edited by ultralight (08/03/05 12:57 AM)

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Re: Will heat kill my jars? [Re: ultralight]
    #4488232 - 08/03/05 12:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:frown: I'm not looking to build a lab here, I just want to try a grow.  Any simpler, po'folk ideas out there?  Surely I'm not the first to encounter this problem.

--------------------
"This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting." --Dreamer

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #4488247 - 08/03/05 12:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you absolutely need an air conditioner... temps in the 90s will cause very poor flushes... if the teamp peaks over a hundred for any length of time, nine times out of ten your mushies will die

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4488269 - 08/03/05 01:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe frozen water bottles in terrarium to lower the temps...Its been done before to lower temp for fruiting..you would have to change them often but it would work to a small degree, NOT to lower the temp 20degrees tho.

Take care n be safe...

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

Re: Will heat kill my jars? [Re: ultralight]
    #4488359 - 08/03/05 01:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thx for the info, everyone.  I might experiment w/ some lo-tek solutions (i.e. varying amounts of ice in small spaces w/ a thermometer) on a small grow, and if it doesn't work, wait a month or so 'til my side of the earth cools off a bit.  Ice bottles in an isulated cooler might work, if I can get the proper balance.  More 'speriments ain't such a bad thing :ohwell:

--------------------

OfflinejBEArWAuKeE
lapsed infant

#4489537 - 08/03/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I might be worrying about nothing--right now my TiT is at 86F just sitting in its dark corner, a 3d fluctuation. The real test will be tonight, after 90F+ outdoor temps all day. I'm working on an ice-bottle incubator, too, but I doubt I can keep very precise temps that way. Maybe if I sling an ice-bottle from the lid of my TiT, and set the heater around 80F--barring super-extreme highs, that might keep the myc comfy.

--------------------

Edited by jBEArWAuKeE (08/03/05 11:57 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix