Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: iambobby]
    #4491023 - 08/03/05 05:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Three die in Saudi shop stampede

A Saudi man and a Pakistani man were among those killed, officials in the port city of Jeddah said.

The incident occurred after shoppers rushed into a branch of Ikea to claim a limited number of credit vouchers being offered to the public.

More than 8,000 people had gathered near the store for the $150 vouchers, some of them having camped overnight.

The nationality of the third person killed was not given. Sixteen people were injured.

Ikea opened its doors at 0900 local time (0600 GMT), one hour ahead of the allotted tine, because of the large numbers of people who had gathered outside the store.

One shopper among the crowd said barriers had broken and security guards were unable to cope. He likened the scene to crowds at a rock concert and said he'd never seen anything similar in the country before.

Saudi press reports said the vouchers offer was part of a major revamp of Ikea in Saudi Arabia, with two brand new stores opening simultaneously in Jeddah and the capital Riyadh.

Reports say the new showrooms have 200% more space than the old stores.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3618190.stm

Quote:

Chaos at Ikea opening

Five people are in hospital today after hundreds were crushed as the opening of England's biggest Ikea store turned into a riot.

Nine ambulances were sent to the outlet in north London after reports that up to 20 people had suffered heat exhaustion when the opening at midnight descended into chaos. Staff closed the doors after half an hour amid fears the stampede could become a Hillsborough-style crush.

Security guards said they were put "under siege" by customers who attacked them, leaving one guard with a dislocated jaw. The store remains closed and a cleanup operation is under way. Ikea apologised for the chaos and admitted the store was understaffed - but added that some customers "behaved like animals".

Up to 7,000 flocked to the Edmonton store lured by adverts promising huge discounts, including ?45 sofas and ?30 bed frames, to those who bought before 3am. When the main doors opened 40 security guards were overwhelmed and crowds pushed through, leaving people pinned to the wall or trampled on the ground.

Security guard Gerard Visagie said "I have never felt so threatened. It was madness. A guard next to me was punched by a customer. He had his jaw dislocated. People were punching and kicking me and screaming. We were under siege.'

Paramedics said they had feared a disaster. An ambulance service source said. "I thought it could be another Hillsborough. It's a miracle no one was killed."

Video footage showed shoppers fighting over furniture - one man was pinned against a wall by a burly customer as they argued over a sofa - while others were stretchered into ambulances.

After 30 minutes the store was closed, staff holding up signs written in marker pen against the glass doors to announce the fact. The crowd refused to disperse and some tried to smash their way in.

More than 30 police tried to keep the peace amid fights between Ikea staff and shoppers. Firefighters freed trapped customers. Assistant Divisional Officer William Bird said: "I have not attended anything like this before." Traffic on the A406 seized up as people stuck in jams for more than an hour abandoned their cars.

John Olie, the deputy head of Ikea in Britain who oversaw the opening, said he was "shocked and overwhelmed". He admitted staff underestimated customer numbers and there were not enough security guards. "As soon as I saw the crowds I knew there would be problems," he said. "People were jumping the queue. We will review future openings.

"We are used to 1,000 people appearing, not 7,000." He said the store would only be reopened when it was safe to do so.

Earlier, an Ikea spokeswoman said: "It's fair to say we misjudged it but some shoppers behaved like animals and started shoving and pushing. There's not much we can do to stop that."

One Ikea worker said: "We closed the doors, but some people got stuck in them. We tried letting in people one by one but they ran through again."

Customers criticised the store. "I'm amazed at how badly organised it was," said Karni Mahmood, 37, from Enfield. "I only came here to buy a cheap sofa." Latyia Arpesh, 23, from Tottenham, said: "I was pushed to the ground and people clambered over me. I feared for my life."

Avril Nanton, 46, from Edmonton, left the queue after four hours: "Near the front there was a sense of camaraderie. But when the doors opened, people at the back ran to the entrance. Everyone was upset, people were fighting. I saw a woman held down by a group of girls."

Ben Adetimle, 31, from Leytonstone, added: "I bought a sofa but when I turned my back someone stole it. I'm not upset. It's just furniture, not worth dying over." As medics helped the injured, customers carried on shopping. A woman with pot plants said: "I've come from Birmingham for this." Jilal Patel, 29, from Tottenham, said: "I was queuing at 11am. Nothing is going to stop me from getting my sofa."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/16511541?source=PA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: moog]
    #4493512 - 08/04/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I'm concerned we can leave that sort of materialistic hoarding behind us.

I'm against being against shit which is infact being against something. *explode*

--------------------
Yesterday, the world was flat. Today, the world is a round ball. Tomorrow? The world will not be defined so easily with words...

OfflineMrChampignon
Respect theFungus

Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: iambobby]
    #4495366 - 08/04/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Our society is doomed to failure if it keep up like this... thanks God that alot of country are poor as hell... these poor peoples are the new lungs of the Earth right now, forget what you red about Rain Forest... these peoples are contribuing to preserved our planet whitout consuming every fucking things they can in a single day....

Can you imagine a world where everyone is living like us in Canada/USA?? after a year the polution would be so high and natural ressources so low... that would be insane!

I saw a DVD called THE CORPORATION and one guy said the best metaphore I've never heard about our modern society.. he said something like this, probably whit a better english... :smile:

?We are like the first ones who tried to build an aircraft. They were putting the aircraft on top of an handcliff or a mountain and they tought they could fly... but only for 5 seconds then the aircraft would go down...?

We are in this 5 seconds right now... we think we can fly but in fact, we are heading down and we will crash soon...

--------------------

sorry for my poor english, I'm from Qu?bec!!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: MrChampignon]
    #4495473 - 08/04/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Are we, though?

I mean, a lot of people obviously think that way right now, but how can we be sure that they're right? How do we know this isn't apocalyptic paranoia?

The earth has been in much more dire straights before. Ice ages, volcanoes and meteors exploding and filling the atmosphere with black smoke.

We could very likely refine our technology to the point where we're able to greatly reduce pollution.

Believe it or not, the earth has seen much worse than humans.

The Corporation is an excellent documentary, but keep in mind that a compelling metaphor can be used to compare two things that aren't even all that similar. It sounds good, but it might not be accurate at all.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: Phluck]
    #4495479 - 08/04/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Most of what is shown as popular culture is spoon-fed canned bullshit. Media moguls creating stars (Spears, boy bands, fads that last 2-3 years). People don't have the desire or , it seems, ability to think for themselves anymore. So many people seem to enjoy their dependance on society to provide them with their needs. The house I just moved into has a GREAT spot for a garden but it was used to hold years worth of trimmed brush. Took me two days to clean it out. It's too late this year for a garden to get started, especially with everything else I have, but next yera I plan on growing at least 80% of the vegetables that I eat. All of my neighbors have plots the same size or larger than mine and they don't have any gardens. I saw one of them drive one of their three SUV's to SAM's club and come back with it filled up. Why don't most people have gardens? Why don't most people do a lot of their own house work and repair work?

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineMrChampignon
Respect theFungus

Re: What do you have against modern society? [Re: Phluck]
    #4496238 - 08/04/05 06:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Are we, though?

I mean, a lot of people obviously think that way right now, but how can we be sure that they're right? How do we know this isn't apocalyptic paranoia?

The earth has been in much more dire straights before. Ice ages, volcanoes and meteors exploding and filling the atmosphere with black smoke.

We could very likely refine our technology to the point where we're able to greatly reduce pollution.

Believe it or not, the earth has seen much worse than humans.

The Corporation is an excellent documentary, but keep in mind that a compelling metaphor can be used to compare two things that aren't even all that similar. It sounds good, but it might not be accurate at all.

I think that yes... we are there... it's just my opinion...

Maybe the Earth have seen worst than us but it was all natural causes... we aren't. I dont think the end of the world is near... but I don't expect a good future for humanity in general... with over 300 different country, laws and belief, it'll be impossible to coordinate an effort to saved the Earth (or the people) in time...

technology may have the anwser... but politics and $$$ will have the last word on it. a good example: USA don't even want to sign the Kyoto protocole because it would kill the American economy... in other words... some dudes will lost their jobs and we will lost our vote so no way, let's find another solution!!

but hey... life is fun tough!  :mushroom2:  :smirk:

--------------------

sorry for my poor english, I'm from Qu?bec!!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom