Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHawkeye2
Resident TranceAddict

Shroomery, I need your help.
    #4482963 - 08/01/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I was recently informed that my brother is in the hospital due to his mental condition. He is very, very depressed, frequently asks me about suicide(he's older than me), and tells me that there is some very fucked up things going on in his head. I listen to these things, and try to help him, but now I feel very bad. He called me yesterday, he sounded very weak, very tired, and very depressed, but I was with my girlfriend so I kind of just told him I was busy. I know now that he probably wanted to talk to me, to really talk, and when I pretty much blew him off it probably really hurt him.

It greatly upsets me to think of my brother in pain. I really wish there is something I can do, but the fact is, he has so many mental problems, I don't know if there's hope for him. I find out now that he hears voices and whispers in his head of people passing by him on the street, he is completely delusional about some things, this is all a repeat of some meth-induced psychosis that he experienced a few months ago(went COMPLETELY schizophrenic). I think his brain is really fucked up, and he's been diagnosed with depression, anxiety(his social anxiety is off the wall, he simply cannot be in a group larger than a few people), and now paranoid schizophrenia.

Symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia typically develope around 17-20, he's 20 years old right now, and his condition seems to be progressively worsening. The past few days he simply lays on his bed and stares up at the wall, sleeps, he is pretty pathetic, and just writing this sends shocks of sorrow through my body. I wish there was something I could do to make his pain go away, he is in mental anguish, he's completely given up on everything.

He thinks we want to lock him away, he thinks we want him sent away for good, he's really not doing well.

I would do anything to give him back his happiness, even if it meant my own happiness, I would do anything, and I'd do it in a second.

Sorry for the long post, but I just want you guys to pray, hope, wish, whatever for his recovery, I really hope he's not over the hill yet, he's such a bright guy...please, pray to whatever God you can for him.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Hawkeye2]
    #4482982 - 08/01/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Oh man. I'm not even sure how to respond. This is sad news. My half brothers dad is a paranoid schizophrenic, he's in a state penitentiary in Oregon.

I really can't give you any advice, and I don't know too much about the disease itself. But my heart goes out to you and your family, this must be horrible for you. He'll never be the same again, and thoughts of suicide will probably fill his mind. "Locking him up" isn't a good way to put it. He might need to be put in a mental institution where they can keep a close on eye on him though.

Once again, I can't put into words how bad this made me feel for you and your family.

There's always hope. Stay strong, man.

:heart:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4482984 - 08/01/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You can add my well-wishes for him! Having had more than a passing experience with the more severe mental illlnesses, I feel for him - and you. The best thing you can do as his brother is to be there for him. And don't give up hope - the new classes of Anti-Psychotic drugs they've developed in the past 15 years or so have been shown to be very effective, so there's hope he can beat this. Best of luck to both of you!  :laugh:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4482990 - 08/01/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

man....he will definitly be in my thoughts. :heart:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4482998 - 08/01/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There is always light at the end of every dark tunnel no matter how bleak it seems at the time. Never give up hope for your brother. He will be in my thoughts man. :heart:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4483013 - 08/01/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've had to deal with mental illness with various members of my family, I feel ya bro. The best thing i think that can be done is to make sure and show him that you dont want to have him locked away and that you're willing to do anything you can to help.

Just keep up the hope and in time it will get better

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4483027 - 08/01/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I hate to say it.. but he's afraid of you guys getting him locked up and that's probably exactly what will happen. Then he will lose faith and trust in whoever put him there. I was in a similar situation when I was 16-18, got diagnosed severe depression, schizoaffective disorder, etc.. Got locked up in a place and it made it worse. The medication made me a zombie. I got out and conquered depression on my own. Turns out most of it was bad diet and negative living conditions... Locking him in an institution is probably the worst thing you could do for him. Get him to do things in LIFE - a hobby, a game.. something he can put his thought and effort to.. Something he enjoys. Something constructive.

I know it may seem like turning him in may help him. And it might. But my experiences with that industry have been MOST unsavory. Realize that they make money by there being crazy people constantly. Not all people are as crazy as they would like to make them out to be.

But I know exactly what its like to be in that pit of doom. No hope, no way out. No one gives a shit. Everyone who appears to give a shit just wants to lock you up. No one understands. That's what being that depressed feels like, sort of. Paranoid schizophrenia is a catch-all term these days, they will diagnose it with the snap of a finger.

Talk to him. Talk to him and listen and be there. That's what he needs the most. And make sure he is getting all his vitamins - plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains and lots of water. I know that sounds lame, but what most health (physical and mental) conditions boil down to is lack of proper nutrition coupled with negative thought loops.

--------------------

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Crestfallen]
    #4483040 - 08/01/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i don't know what to tell you either... Just try to visit him frequently with your family to let him know that you guys aren't abandoning him, but that he is in a hospital because they can give him help that you can't. Let him know that you care and that you are there for him...

don't beat yourself up. It's not your fault...

OfflineHawkeye2
Resident TranceAddict

Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4483058 - 08/01/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I hate to say it.. but he's afraid of you guys getting him locked up and that's probably exactly what will happen. Then he will lose faith and trust in whoever put him there. I was in a similar situation when I was 16-18, got diagnosed severe depression, schizoaffective disorder, etc.. Got locked up in a place and it made it worse. The medication made me a zombie. I got out and conquered depression on my own. Turns out most of it was bad diet and negative living conditions...

I know it may seem like turning him in may help him. And it might. But my experiences with that industry have been MOST unsavory. Realize that they make money by there being crazy people constantly. Not all people are as crazy as they would like to make them out to be.

But I know exactly what its like to be in that pit of doom. No hope, no way out.  No one gives a shit. Everyone who appears to give a shit just wants to lock you up. No one understands. That's what being that depressed feels like, sort of. Paranoid schizophrenia is a catch-all term these days, they will diagnose it with the snap of a finger.

Talk to him. Talk to him and listen and be there. That's what he needs the most. And make sure he is getting all his vitamins - plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains and lots of water. I know that sounds lame, but what most health (physical and mental) conditions boil down to is lack of proper nutrition coupled with negative thought loops. 

I don't want to lock him up at all. My mother wants to send him to a recovery house, a halfway house, but I don't want him to live on his own(he was living with my mother). If I could have it my way, I would put him in a big mansion and give him whatever he needed whenever he needed it, so he never had to worry about doing anything he didn't want to again.

The very last thing that will ever happen to him is for him to be put in a mental institution. I will simply not let it happen.

I have some of the same mental problems he does, depression, anxiety, symptoms of bipolar, so I can relate to the negative thought loops he is experiencing(though the hearing voices is kind of new to me).

Thank you for the nutrition information. I'm visiting him tomorrow and will bring him some food. I'm also putting some Dane Cook skits on my mp3 player and I'm going to give it to him tomorrow so he can listen to it and laugh  :heart:

Thank you to everyone who offered advice, it really helps to know there are others that have gone through the same thing and there are others that care.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4483081 - 08/01/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

That doesnt sound lame at all bro. That's very sound advice IMO. :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4483096 - 08/01/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

make sure he gets plenty of omega 3s and B12.. that means raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc), fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna), dark leafy veggies, orange veggies, fruits..whole grains..lots o water. restrict the patient's red meat, sugar, and fried/processed food intake. I had several EKGs? when I was severely depressed and the most common thing was major lack of B vitamins and omega 3. Also, dehydration only makes things worse, as far as body functioning goes. The organs gotta stay lubed up. Body must release waste> Water.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4483139 - 08/01/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I hate to say it.. but he's afraid of you guys getting him locked up and that's probably exactly what will happen. Then he will lose faith and trust in whoever put him there. I was in a similar situation when I was 16-18, got diagnosed severe depression, schizoaffective disorder, etc.. Got locked up in a place and it made it worse. The medication made me a zombie. I got out and conquered depression on my own. Turns out most of it was bad diet and negative living conditions... Locking him in an institution is probably the worst thing you could do for him. Get him to do things in LIFE - a hobby, a game.. something he can put his thought and effort to.. Something he enjoys. Something constructive.

But I know exactly what its like to be in that pit of doom. No hope, no way out. No one gives a shit. Everyone who appears to give a shit just wants to lock you up. No one understands. That's what being that depressed feels like, sort of. Paranoid schizophrenia is a catch-all term these days, they will diagnose it with the snap of a finger.

Some of what you say is true, particularly sparking his interest in life through a hobby or the like and "being there" for him. And a good diet is always a help. BUT it's not the sum-all and be all. You see, I was in far worse shape than you. I was only admitted to a Hospital because I was suicidal, and even then only for only a week. Yes, I'm on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics, but I find I can function on them very well. And most importantly, they really helped! Of course, they only give relief so one can sort these problems out. Someday, I hope to reach a point where I no longer need to take them, and I'm confident I can. Not all doctors are evil money-grubbers, you know...

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #4483142 - 08/01/05 10:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

vitamins and good food and exersize..and some cannabis..and some positive talking always helps..

Edited by skunk78395 (08/01/05 10:14 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4483177 - 08/01/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I know.. and I understand where you're coming from. Medication does help some people.. But also, it is not the sum-all and be-all. Not all doctors are money-grubbers that don't care about their patients, but some are. I was prescribed a plethora of medications ranging from anti-depressants to anti-psychotics.. I could not function on them. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#4483209 - 08/01/05 10:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I heard mushrooms are good for all kinds of things...seriously, I honestly think I have a chemical imbalance..I am happy sometimes then I feel so bored,,way before I did drugs....mushroooms are a helpful thing..I dont have medical insurance..so how could I afford to know for sure??..trippy shit..

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Skunk420]
    #4483212 - 08/01/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:wink:
mushrooms are amazing tools
so is meditation

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4483214 - 08/01/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Meds are indeed not the sum-all and be-all like you said. They can help some find a way out of the stygian pits, as they did me. I've a ways to go, but I'm down to two medications for this (down from a high of five) and my doc fully supports this, as did my step-dad. Some wonderful day, I hope to not need them at all. It's just unfortunate that our bio-chemistry differ so much, where one medication can be a god-send to some, yet only make things worse for others. In spite of all out medical knowledge, we still know so very little about the brain and its workings....

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #4483255 - 08/01/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ive only read the first post.

he sounds a lot like me when i was in the military.  exact symptoms, minus the meth.

i recovered.  he can too...  all you need is love.  show him you care, whatever ways possible.  OVERTLY show him you care.

if his problem is solvable, its only through his own decisions that it will be fixed, so in the meantime, make it easy on him but just spending some time with guy whenever possible, talk to him when he needs it, let him know his worth.  he cannot see it right now.

peace :heart:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#4483301 - 08/01/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I need to try meditation...I have been so busy to do it, but I will learn more..honestly I will...

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: Shroomery, I need your help. [Re: Skunk420]
    #4483494 - 08/01/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

my best wishes to you and your brother. You should be there for him and remind him that his state is temporary hurdle in his path, not the destination. The less he sulks around and "simply lays on his bed and stares up at the wall" the better. Get him to be active in his life. Creative self expression, a constructive hobby, and meditation are all great and would likely be best in combination. Let him know that you will always be a part of his life and that he can beat this, he is the master of his domain.  the following are aspects of thought patterns of pessimist as opposed to optimists.
      1            2
? Permanent vs. Temporary. The optimist thinks in temporary terms: ?I didn?t do well this time?. The pessimist thinks in permanent terms: ?I will never do well?.
      1        2 
? Global vs. Specific. The optimist is specific: ?I didn?t ski my best in the bumps today?. The pessimist is global: ?I can?t ski well in any conditions, ever.?
      1          2
? Personal vs. External. The optimist looks outside of him/herself: ?The competition was tough today?. The pessimist takes all the blame: ?I was awful?.

try to help him avoid column 1 generalizations. they are self defeating and wont get him anywhere.

As for the suggestions for the use of mushies, that is a delicate issue. You don't want him to have a negative experience and end up fueling his metal disorder but there have been many people who had mad leaps and bounds of progress after being treated with psychedelics. it is an option that you may want to do some serious though on. Check out maps.org and read up on some studies of psychedelics being used to treat metal disorders.

What you choose to do, i hope you all get through this difficult time.  :heart:

--------------------
:goose:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale