Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: MOTH]
    #4481599 - 08/01/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: browndustin]
    #4481608 - 08/01/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"The pamphlet "Detoxing from Marijuana" that is on this web page does not contain medically based knowledge"

Ha.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: browndustin]
    #4481615 - 08/01/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

browndustin said:
wow

I know!  I think...  :confused:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4481623 - 08/01/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

QuantumMeltdown said:
You guys might think its funny but some of the people in there are having trouble with their cannabis use and its affecting their lives negatively. They are trying to help each other with their problems and its all voluntary. They aren't advocating that it should be illegal or anything like that so I don't see what you guys have against it. Anything pleasurable can be addicting to certain people just because it's not physically addicting doesn't mean it can't present a problem in someones life. Psychological addiction can be just as bad if not worse then physical addiction. Allot of times after junkies have with drawn they relapse due to their psychological addiction. For a group of "laid back" potheads who are open minded you seem pretty hostile to people who have recognized they have a problem and are working to correct it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

A lot of people haven't had the opportunity to know someone severely addicted to pot. This whole myth of 'pyschological' addiction is just that. Prolonged weed smoking, in a minority people, can alter your brain chemistry in ways that cause addiction, as in repeated use in the face of consequences.

Like them or not, 12 step programs are the only things that have been repeatedly shown to help most people with severe addictions over a long course of time. I think the whole 'belief in God' thing is pretty lame. But, thankfuly, many people involved in 12 steps are looking to change the wording to simply 'belief in something beyond one's self'... slightly better.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: Gijith]
    #4481796 - 08/01/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Prolonged weed smoking, in a minority people, can alter your brain chemistry in ways that cause addiction, as in repeated use in the face of consequences.

Have any proof for this?

I highly doubt that marijuana is physically addictive, even to a minority of users.

However I know that a minority of users will have a psychological addiction so strong as to be unable to quit on their own.

Look at cocaine, it's not really physically addictive but can cause intense psychological addiction in a majority of users.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: trendal]
    #4481821 - 08/01/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Actually recent studies have said that it is physically addictive, it just doesn't have any serious with drawls.

I'll try to find the article. It's something about your cannabinoids, and how frequent use weakens them so you can't feel the feelings weed gives you (happiness, hunger etc) as much as someone who doesn't smoke.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: Trainwreck]
    #4481842 - 08/01/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know about physical addiction, but I do know it's pretty addicting psychologically. I had to stop due to circumstances which I had no control over, and it was pretty rough for me there for a while. I don't smoke a 1/10 of what I used to, though, mainly because of the expense. I do enjoy it more, now that I smoke less!  :laugh:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4481870 - 08/01/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's something about your cannabinoids, and how frequent use weakens them so you can't feel the feelings weed gives you (happiness, hunger etc) as much as someone who doesn't smoke.

That's not addiction, that's tolerance :wink:

Addiction is when receptors become dependent on the drug, so that if you stop using the receptors stop working correctly and you get physical withdrawal.

Tolerance is when receptors stop responding to the drug, thus requiring more of the drug to get the same effect. It sucks, because it means I have to smoke more weed to get high than I did when I started :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4481893 - 08/01/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
I do enjoy it more, now that I smoke less!  :laugh:

Great point...that's the only motivation I have to smoke less.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: Fliquid]
    #4481930 - 08/01/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't see what all this shit talking is for. It's for people who have trouble controlling their marijuana habits. Marijuana is a great thing, that is, for a majority of the people. On the other hand, people who have trouble and let their habits destroy their lives, it isn't something to joke about.

For a group of people who talk so much shit about the government's stance at the issue, many of you are completely brainwashed to believe pot is completely harmless to EVERYONE.

Some people got together because they are having trouble quitting. You gonna talk shit about that?

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

#4481989 - 08/01/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No no.

Maybe I didn't get that out right. I'm saying it damages those receptors, so you can't feel those feelings when you're not stoned. So you NEED to smoke weed to activate the receptors because your body can't do it on it's own anymore. If your body can't create certain feelings or emotions without the help of a drug, and it was that same drug that caused it. I would say that's addiction. Because of the fact that your body NEEDS the THC to actually function normally.

Even so. Through my years of smoking weed, I've never experienced these effects.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #4482000 - 08/01/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I read their literature and decided that they aren't as good as I first thought. Who shakes from quitting pot? Jesus christ.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: MOTH]
    #4482019 - 08/01/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that being a stone-cold stoner is a bad thing for you, really. I smoke a great deal of pot and I'm in good general health. The thing is, if you DO want to quit, and you aren't able to, thats a problem. A guy smoking 20 joints a day who is happy with it is probably going to have better long term health than someone smoking 2 bowls a day who is always wishing to quit. When I take my time off from ganja, I usually do it for 2 weeks. Start with a one day fast drinking nothing but water and plenty of it! No food for the first 24 hours. Whenever you think about being stoned do some breathing exercisez and get the oxygen going to your brain. Being very oxygenated is almost as fun as being really stoned! Best of all, you can look forward to your 2 week 'back to stoned" present. I usually make sure I keep a gram or so of nugs on hand so I know I'll be able to break my pot-fast on the day I want to. nothing sucks like quitting for two weeks, looking forward to getting back to it and not being able to find shit.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4482204 - 08/01/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry, I was posting very fast and was not clear enough (I had a Lean Pocket in the microwave)...

What I'm trying to say is that the term 'physical addiction' is meaningless. As far as I know, people in addiction medicine don't use it anymore. In this same way, 'psychological addiction' doesn't carry the traditional label people put upon it. From what I know, things now fall under two categories: Physical Dependence and, simply, Addiction. Physical dependence is gaged by the appearance of physical withdrawal symptoms immediately after a substance is stopped. And no, marijuana withdrawal does not produce many symptoms. But, by definition, those symptoms have nothing to do with a drive to continue using. For example, prozac can be a physically dependent substance... Addiction, on the other hand, is the psychological drive to continue behavior, regardless of consequence. When it comes to addiction, the physiology can be classified as the being similar in marijuana, as in cocaine, as in sex, as in eating disorders. All the same because what the brain is responding to is the release of neurotransmitters. As you know, over time, our brain teaches itself to reward certain behaviors by releasing these. Dopamine, in particular, if I'm not mistaken. That drive to reward is the entire basis of 'psychological' addiction. I've read all sorts of stuff as to how this evolved in our minds. Lots of interesting theories. But I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure.

... What I'm trying to say if you exhibit addictive behavior, you're addicted to something. Whether you're 'physically addicted' doesn't really matter. It's not addiction at all. That's just the icing on top of the pathology.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Edited by Gijith (08/01/05 07:13 PM)

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #4482266 - 08/01/05 06:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
Sorry, I was posting very fast and was not clear enough (I had a Lean Pocket in the microwave)...

haha  :grin:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4482274 - 08/01/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Oh well that I definitely agree with, making a distinction between "physical dependence" and "addiction"!

--------------------

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

#4482282 - 08/01/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I really didn't word my other post like I thought I had.

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from now.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4482413 - 08/01/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

all of you folk who are ragging on MA and on people who believe they have trouble with marijuana use go ahead and stop using for 3 weeks.

i bet you can't. you hypocrites.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Re: Marijuana Anonymous [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4482430 - 08/01/05 07:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Who the fuck are you calling a hypocrite?

Quote ONE sentence that I posted that you think is hypocritical.

Yeah I smoke weed, but I'm not above stating FACTS about it. Whether they by positive or negative. I don't deny facts that go against marijuana usage like some loser hippie. No one is "ragging" on marijuana, we're just telling it like it is. Try making sense in the future, thanks.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4482450 - 08/01/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

try not freaking out like a little bitch

yes you are a loser hippie. dumbass.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale