Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealienee
Stranger
are mushrooms that bad?
    #4482172 - 08/01/05 08:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This might sound a bit idiotic, but the other day I heard two teenagers discussing and comparing marijuana and mushrooms, they said that mushrooms make your brain bleed, I looked through the facts on here and I couldn't see anything on mushrooms making your brain bleed, now is that true? I read that mushrooms have no long term effects and it is hard to overdose on mushrooms, is it easy to overdose on mushrooms? They said that mushrooms were a lot worse then marijuana, but when you compare most of the facts it seems like marijuana is worse when comparing the long term effects and whatnot. They were saying that they knew a lot of people who died using mushrooms. I do not know a lot about mushrooms so I was just curious, are they actually as bad as a lot of people make them seem?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: alienee]
    #4482184 - 08/01/05 08:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Mushrooms do NOT make your brain bleed.

Please go here and read the General FAQ the Shroomery has compiled regarding mushrooms. I think you'll find a lot of interesting information there, including lots of myths torn apart.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4482191 - 08/01/05 08:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

alienee said:
are they actually as bad as a lot of people make them seem?

NO

WAY

Many people have had their lives changed for the BETTER since doing mushrooms. 

Check out the FAQ.  :thumbup:  Lots of knowledge in there.

Offlineharpd
Passing By

#4482217 - 08/01/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It sounds like those teenagers didn't have their facts straight. It's very hard to overdose on mushrooms. I've never read any accounts of anyone dying from psilocybin mushrooms alone. The only cases that are in any way related are people eating poisonous mushrooms that they picked in the wild and identified wrong. There are almost no negative long term effects from mushrooms. There is a possibility of having an uncomfortably intense "bad trip" that can cause psychological problems similar to post traumatic stress disorder, but there are no lasting physical effects from using mushrooms. They certainly do NOT make your brain bleed. This is pure misinformation.

As for comparing mushrooms and marijuana, neither one is particularly harmful, but marijuana can cause respiratory problems if you smoke regularly for an extended period of time. Using a vaporizer remedies this problem, however, so I would have to say that if you know what you're doing, mushrooms and marijuana are actually two of the safest drugs you can take.

Check out http://www.erowid.org for accurate, unbiased information on whatever drug you're researching. It's a great site with very reliable, documented research, and I highly recommend reading up if you're interested in educating yourself about the effects of drug use on the body and mind.

Welcome to the Shroomery!
DHarp

--------------------
When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are.

Offlinealienee
Stranger
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: MOTH]
    #4482222 - 08/01/05 08:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know, I've read the facts and it said no one has died from mushrooms and I tell people to read the facts on here or erowid and they reply with "It's not true becuase it's a drug site"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4482293 - 08/01/05 08:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

alienee said:
I know, I've read the facts and it said no one has died from mushrooms and I tell people to read the facts on here or erowid and they reply with "It's not true becuase it's a drug site"

It always confuses me when ignorant people think this way, negating an entire treasure trove of information because "it's a drug site." 

WEll, guess what people...these drug sites are doing the jobs that the government WILL NOT do for you:  Give you the straight truth about drugs.  There are negative aspects and positive aspects about ALL drug use, and the goal of sites like the Shroomery is for harm prevention.  We want to help member's learn to use substances safetly and with respect.  We want to minimize risk when it comes to drug use.   

What's wrong with that? 

Sweeping drug use under the carpet has done NOTHING except harm those innocent people out there who DON'T have access to reliable information about substances.  Drug use is not going to 'go away' by LYING about them to adolescents. 

Unfortunately, many people in modern society have been so indoctinated by the government that their AUTOMATIC (read: unthinking) response to any mention of drugs is: bad.

When you mention sites like the Shroomery to them, I guarantee they are not even thinking about their response to you.  Anything having to do with drugs = bad. 

WOW!  What a limited perspective, eh?  I can't help but feel sorry for those types of people. 

You can't do anything for their ignorance either, only they can.  You can't FORCE knowledge or information on them.  I wouldn't even waste time arguing with them.  Just smile and take pride in the fact that you refuse to allow yourself to be blinded by the FICTION your government has tried to beat into your head about drugs. 

It's what you know and believe that's more important anyway.  :smile:

Welcome to the Shroomery.  :heart:

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #4482313 - 08/01/05 08:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (05/03/08 02:30 AM)

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: StickyWater]
    #4482329 - 08/01/05 08:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Marijuana has consequences on the lungs.

Mushrooms are physically very safe.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #4482507 - 08/01/05 09:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Also, Erowid is used by many emergency rooms to help in situations of possible drug overdose or drug identification. I find it hard to believe something "because Bubba said it", over a website so well known and respected that medical professionals use it to help in their diagnostic procedure.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4482517 - 08/01/05 09:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Exactly.

In the scientific world it's not up to you to show them that mushrooms don't cause those effects, it's up to them to prove to you that they do.

And considering they will never ever find studies to prove their point, they lose.

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4482610 - 08/01/05 10:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It shocks me that people seriously believe that people would eat something that makes your brain BLEED. This is also even more shocking because most people believe that shrooms are impossible to overdose on.
Is the ignorance of drugs THAT bad?
I hope that one day people will finally get over this whole "drugs are bad" thing.

The government's propoganda is some of the most effective marketing ever. They have somehow convinced people that there is a difference between legal and illegal drugs. Not only that, but they've made it cool to hate drug users or anything related to them, yet alright to take adderall or diet pills.

Sorry about the rant...this just urks me.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: Veter]
    #4482988 - 08/01/05 11:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Veter said:
It shocks me that people seriously believe that people would eat something that makes your brain BLEED. This is also even more shocking because most people believe that shrooms are impossible to overdose on.
Is the ignorance of drugs THAT bad?
I hope that one day people will finally get over this whole "drugs are bad" thing.

The government's propoganda is some of the most effective marketing ever. They have somehow convinced people that there is a difference between legal and illegal drugs. Not only that, but they've made it cool to hate drug users or anything related to them, yet alright to take adderall or diet pills.

Sorry about the rant...this just urks me.

It irks the crap outta me too. When I first told my parents about mushroom use by me, first reponse I got was "How can you take that! It'll put holes in your brain!"

I swear I just about cried. I mean, hell, I remember thinking crazy stuff about drugs too not really that long ago because we were all pretty much brainwashed into complete bullshit. It got to the point where she kept listing off all these crazy things such as getting addicted and overdosing and such that I finally just said "Prove it, and Ill throw my entire stash (well over 15g dried at the time) away".

To this day, my stash stays...well, theres been some consumption and gathering, but I still havent thrown them away.

It does really annoy me. I like to research the shit outta everything I choose to take into my body. That was when I learned the truth about many drugs. I went from thinking that every drug was addictive, and would kill you with enough use (which was implanted in my brain back at a young age when I couldnt really think well enough and just took everything as they told me), to now knowing that not all drugs are completely horrible. Im not saying that illegal drugs should all be taken. Im actually still against a good chunk of them as a matter of fact, but would try many more then the none I would before.

Mushrooms, IMO, seem to be one of the safest illegal ones out there, and are verry fun :wink:.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: Ramuh]
    #4483083 - 08/01/05 11:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (05/03/08 02:29 AM)

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

#4483274 - 08/02/05 12:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, D.A.R.E. really pisses me off. From what I remember, the DARE that came to my school was full of horrible misinformation that every kid (myself included) followed like it was the damn ice cream man or something. All DARE does is set kids up to be drones with a bad program; when they hit adolescence they will wish to get rid of all their drone-like habits/thoughts and the "no drugs" thought goes with it. I don't have a good plan to replace DARE but anything should be better than filling these kids minds with bullshit.

And I don't know if mushrooms are less harmful than marijuana. I consider both to be safe in moderation. Many people smoke multiple times a day and still lead a semi-sane life; however, this would be impossible on mushrooms.

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4483339 - 08/02/05 12:44 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (05/03/08 02:29 AM)

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: Veter]
    #4483464 - 08/02/05 01:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Veter said:
This is also even more shocking because most people believe that shrooms are impossible to overdose on.

Well the thing about that is that it would take an ungodly amount of shrooms to overdose. I have never heard of anyone dying from shrooms, even with intent. One's stomach simply would not be able to take the load. Massive vomiting would result, and it probably would not be possible to keep it all down. It would be a hilariously impractical way to die, and I don't think human physiology is equipped to handle hundreds of grams of orally ingested dried mushrooms. I won't say it's impossible, but it's so damn unlikely that I certainly can't imagine it happening.

While the only information available involving the LD50 for psilocybin can be found in the Merck Index, and all it shows is intravenous LD50 for mice, rats, and rabbits. It's quite high, by the way. One can assume that it would be high in humans as well. However, no human is going to take psilocybin intravenously anyway, and how many people do you know who have access to a huge amount of pure lab-grade psilocybin crystals?

The fact that there is no recorded information regarding psilocybin-related deaths should show how extremely unlikely a mushroom overdose is. Sure, one can take too much and have a bad trip. But it's not going to kill you. Any deaths on psilocybin would have had to have resulted from polydrug use, especially overdose from a respiratory depressant like alcohol, benzodiazepines, opiates, etc. Psilocybin mushrooms alone, taken orally, will not kill.

--------------------

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
Re: are mushrooms that bad? [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4483914 - 08/02/05 02:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Mushroom suicide would be difficult, but not impossible. Everything is toxic to some degree, even water.

I also thought at one time that all things psychedelic were dangerous. It was only through hard research done on my own initiative that I learned otherwise. When will people just grow up? :frown:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience