Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee?
    #4479544 - 08/01/05 12:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just came from watching a documentary on him. He had it inscribed on the back of a medallion he wore that;

"Your only limitation is no limitations"

You can read it to simply mean that you don't have any, like what he said about being water, that it has no boundaries/limits until you contain it.

I was looking at it it differently, as if it could mean that some how, being unlimited can be or is a limitation in itself. Even if that's not what he meant, this idea intrigues me.

Can anyone think of how having no limitations can be a limitation in itself? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this! :laugh:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4479604 - 08/01/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thats the tag line for all of Jeet Kune Do. Its main purpose to to reinforce the idea that your never done learning/practicing. Heres a link http://jkdmumbai.tripod.com/id10.html .
Did you see the documentary that shows all the finished clips of Game of Death? That shit is sweet.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineStoned_Druid
Metalhead
Male

Loc: Northern VA
    #4479677 - 08/01/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

In a way one could say having no limits is a limit, but I'm to tired for this. Think about this, the absolute nature of reality is that their is no absolute nature of reality.

--------------------
"Sanity is for the Weak"

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4479758 - 08/01/05 01:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Your only limitation is no limitations"

This is step with his "My way is no way" theme. He never much explained it, and left his followers to speculate endlessly instead.

Edit: Typo

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (08/01/05 04:19 PM)

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: Diploid]
    #4479864 - 08/01/05 02:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

its my experience thusfar, that everything as far back - away - up close, and whatever other ways anything can be looked at; is paradoxal.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4480045 - 08/01/05 04:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
Bruce Lee

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4480232 - 08/01/05 06:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

> Can anyone think of how having no limitations can be a limitation in itself?

If one is not constrained by duality (has no limitations) then how does one experience duality (limited by dualism). This line of thought can lead to some very deep insights, though I make no claims to their validity.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4480493 - 08/01/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My personal interpretation of the quote "your only limiation is no limitations" relates it to that saying, "the more you learn, the less you know" or however it goes.

The idea being that the more you progress, the more you see that there is no end to the potential for further progression.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4480498 - 08/01/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My personal interpretation of the quote "your only limiation is no limitations" relates it to that saying, "the more you learn, the less you know" or however it goes.

The idea being that the more you progress, the more you see that there is no end to the progression.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4480640 - 08/01/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's from J Krishnamurti.

--------------------
...or something

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4480922 - 08/01/05 12:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks everyone.

Yes eve, Bruce read a lot of Krishnamurti. I also found out he read a lot of Alan Watts too.

Yes little Ben, that's the documentary. I've seen it at least 7 times now and still can't get enough.

I enjoyed reading through everyones contributions here.

My question took it from a back wards perspective like how Seuss touched on it. Did you get any insight Seuss looking at it backwards?

This idea of being unlimited being a limitation intrigues me because I would've never seen it that way and haven't. We think we are at a disadvantage when we are bound by limits. How often do we see or even consider the reality that not having limits may be keeping us bound to something from something.

Currently we experience ourselves as very limited beings. Limited by our physical bodies, laws of physics, and resources to name a few. We idealize about ultimate freedom to be do or go anywhere with ease.

If you think about it ultimate freedom/no limitations is the Ultimate limitation.

If something has no boundaries separating it from anything else.........it can't move because he has no where to move too.

This could be why we say that the all that is is also nothing. It might as well be as it can't be anything without a definition.

For all we know, Bruce used it in his fighting style to take advantage of limitations to have ultimate freedom of movement.

While others strive to be free, Bruce strived to be direct and focused, to channel all of his energy into one powerful blow or kick. A lake just sits there with zero power but empty it into a channel river and it now can move somewhere fast and with great force.

I think he figured out that the idea is not to become free of limitations because that is the ultimate limitation. I think he figured out how to use limitation to go where he wants to go with great speed, accuracy and force.

I just thought of this and its a no wonder he made it the tag line for Jeet Kune Do- the idea of putting all of your power into one fist strike or kick as an intercepting counter attack. He was using the idea of limitation and taking advantage of it to be the ultimate fighter. Peace preferring types can use this in other ways in their personal and professional lives.

I don't want to take all of the fun away from anyone who wants to insight more into this but you get the idea now that I was intrigued by and just figured out.......duh.

I never looked at how ultimate freedom could be the ultimate limitation at the same time.

I've have been so busy looking at ways to eliminate limitations in my life to gain more personal freedom that I never considered the futility or stupidity of that and instead could be looking at how I could use limitation to my benefit to gain more freedom of powerful movement.

In a weird way, the way to powerful freedom of movement is through the use of limitations. It makes sense as that is the only way to channel energy with power/force and get it from point A to B.

I have the feeling more insight or other applications can come from it as well.

I know many have realized that channeling energy into something with great focus usually gets the job done as opposed to being unfocused and scattered.

I never took that idea and realized that the focus and power obtained to get the job done is done with using limits/walls/ boundaries to channel energy into something. It sounds so simple now.

A new power tool to play with! Placing Limits, not removing them! That is much more efficient!

I'm still open to take off thoughts and other insights!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4480961 - 08/01/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a take off on the idea one can use. Think of yourself as being the lake/water.

You are here and you now want to be over there. What would be the easiest way to move that body of water from here to their? Make the new container by putting up boundaries to define the new place. Make a channel to move through to get there by creating two walls. Close in "put pressure on" the current body of water. It has no where else to go bu swiftly through the channel and into the new container.

This has a lot of practical use in life to take us where we want to go much more efficiently and powerfully. I can recall using it intuitively..like being in a zen mode......but never put a method to it.

I find it hilarious that I have been so big on being unlimited and have not realized that the ways to it have been through the use of limitations. The cosmic joke is awesome!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #4480996 - 08/01/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I like to fish.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4481032 - 08/01/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It seems that Bruce Lee ran into a hard limit at the young age of 32 - he died. I think a better one liner is, "A man's got to know his limitations" (Harry Callahan).

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: deff]
    #4481037 - 08/01/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You do realise then that fishing and catching requires movement and limitations. If you were unlimitted, you would have nothing to fish for or catch.

Unlimitation without limitation is non existance and zero power.

Oh geez, now I am rolling off wondering how this applies to zero point energy.......seeing it like the untapped well. Tapping it requires limits- pipes or hoses and suction. I was just thinking how can suction occur without a force if its all tied up in the motionless well that is everything. A void can create the suction.

Wierd how a void/nothing can be a pulling force. Oh well, my head is spinning now.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4481090 - 08/01/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
It seems that Bruce Lee ran into a hard limit at the young age of 32 - he died.  I think a better one liner is, "A man's got to know his limitations" (Harry Callahan).

Ahhhhhhhh you didn't read my first reply after the original post. I figured it out that Bruce was condoning the use of limitations.

Who is to say that he didn't get so good at welling up energy from within without anywhere to channel it and his tight body container forced his spirit out.

Maybe because his disdain for waste kept him bottled up and the pressure lead to his demise.

That said, I am getting the idea that it is healthy to burn off excess energy even when you have no where useful or constructive to channel it.

Not to say that is what lead to his demise. It just gave me something new to look at and consider. Some serious focused ambitious types consider "play" to be a waste of time and energy. Maybe it is a key to health and longevity.

Maybe that is what deff was getting at when he said he likes to fish. :tongue:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4481161 - 08/01/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Who is to say that he didn't get so good at welling up energy from within without anywhere to channel it and his tight body container forced his spirit out.

What a fanciful notion.

Quote:

Maybe because his disdain for waste kept him bottled up and the pressure lead to his demise.

He died of constipation?

Sorry, I'm smart ass. If I were look to a martial art philosophy for guidance in the greater scheme of things, I would find Aikido more to my liking... and the practitioners seem to live longer.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4481282 - 08/01/05 02:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ha Ha Ha, when I said that, I slipped off running into thought streams.

Your smart ass contribution of rewording what I said wondering if one can die of energetic constipation is FUNNY!

It doesn't sound healthy.

I'm not as into the maritial arts themslves as I am the philosophies behind them.

So you judge them by who lives the longest? I judge them by who is the best at accomplishing their goals.

Bruce Lee beat the best without fail. He was THE MASTER of his time. The best of the Best came to him. Maybe thats what put him under pressure. :lol: They put pressure onto him to teach them and he told them he could not teach them. All he could do was help them to explore themselves. See, he was bottled up and under pressure.

In the Martial Arts world thats called Jeet Koo Kant Poo.

Back to the topic. Pros, what do you have to say about having no limits being your only limitation?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4481427 - 08/01/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hehe, Bruce was joking words. Havin a limit means, to break it. Breaking the limit of unlimitation means, you have first come close to that (what is not that easy, at least for us human guys and gals) :laugh:

edit: Ok,just dont break the limit of no limitation, jus try to come near it (thats the limit) :wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (08/01/05 03:12 PM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4481502 - 08/01/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ahhhhhhhhh your first reply didn't make sense to me but your edit does! :smile:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale