Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4482578 - 08/01/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I just came from watching a documentary on him. He had it inscribed on the back of a medallion he wore that;

"Your only limitation is no limitations"

You can read it to simply mean that you don't have any, like what he said about being water, that it has no boundaries/limits until you contain it.

I was looking at it it differently, as if it could mean that some how, being unlimited can be or is a limitation in itself. Even if that's not what he meant, this idea intrigues me.

Can anyone think of how having no limitations can be a limitation in itself? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this! :laugh:

if you are the are the best in everything, you are the best at being worst, hence not best at anything, being the best.
having no limits, it would be the act of having no limits, that is your only limit. As you opposed to having a limit, are limited from having a limit, by having no limits.

:confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4485167 - 08/02/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hehe, yes. My first reply was Bruce-Style (unlimitation like a target in Kung-Fu) :wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (08/02/05 12:13 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4485446 - 08/02/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Did you get any insight Seuss looking at it backwards?

I'm not certain how to reply to this. There are times that I enter a different state of consciousness and see without the filters we normally use to protect ourselves. Although I have very little memory of these experiences, I am left with a sense of the nature of the experience. I have spent a lot of time trying to express these using words, with little success. An artist can paint a beautiful picture, but the picture is not the experience, only a representation.

Sometimes I read something, such as your original question, that tickles a memory of one of these experiences. My reply is based on what I remember of the experience, not of what I think of the question. (This is why I disclaimed the validity of any insight... the picture is not the experience.)

My basic belief is that we live in a reality that is governed by duality. By duality, I mean that nothing can be defined by itself. For example, good cannot exist without evil, love cannot exist without hate, life cannot exist without death, etc. At the same time, I have experienced a reality that is not governed by duality. Where blue is green, love is hate, life is death, etc. These two realities, in my mind, co-exist and define one another. To me, the original statement is painting a picture of this co-existence. Another way to say the same thing might be "God lives in paradox."

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: Seuss]
    #4485948 - 08/02/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So there's duality and non-duality - itself a separation within duality? :lol:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: deff]
    #4486046 - 08/02/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Single duality.. :P

fractals..

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4486100 - 08/02/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think that this Lee quote is a reaction to traditional martial arts, and a differentiation of Jeet Kun Do from traditional martial arts.

When you learn a highly traditional martial arts style, like Shaolin Kung Fu, you are basically learning a lot of fixed moves and positions. You are taught: "this move counters that move, that move counters this move, etc etc..."

Basically Lee's opinion was that a fighter should use whatever move works in the current situation. That the best fighter has no definitive 'style', and thus has no definable weaknesses. Lee was all about adaptation to circumstances, rather than following a set plan. He believed that a fighter who was good at adaptation would be better than a fighter who knew all his forms perfectly.

So it basically ties into the whole Eastern 'live in the moment, avoid concrete definition, be like water, let it flow' kind of mentality.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4486292 - 08/02/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am still enjoying and appreciating all of the replies flowin in. They make me take off on thought streams.

Some may be inspiration for a new post soon related to living with duality from the perspective as seeing them as being compliments to each other and not oppositions.! :wink:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4486398 - 08/02/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

he was a business man

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Got any ideas on this oneliner from bruce lee? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4486877 - 08/02/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How does that answer my question about how being unlimitted can be a limitation?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom