Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMycoMateo
White andFluffy!

Ralph Steadman
    #4478939 - 08/01/05 12:23 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas is definitely one of my all time favorite movies. That and the death of the late Doctor spurred my interested in Thompson's writing. I'm currently on my second book of his, The Great Shark Hunt. Before that I read Kingdom of Fear, which I'm told is almost somewhat like an autobiography?

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here. My main revelation today came when I was reading the booklet that came in the F&L DVD case. It's the Criterion Edition, BTW.

There are some really awesome pieces of art scattered around this, and in the back of it, there's a note that a lot of the artwork is by the one and only Ralph Steadman. If you're not familiar with him or why he's important in reference to Hunter S. Thompson, it was with him that Thompson wrote what was to be the first piece to be dubbed "gonzo journalism": The Kentucky Derby is Depraved and Decadent.

I've read a little bit about this guy, but I'd never actually seen his artwork before. When I realized that it was Steadman's work all over the F&L case, some spark in my really got interested in this guy. I surfed over to his website, and there's some really, really cool stuff there. Something about the way the guy can lay down the ink really floors me. I especially like the series he did about the bull fight.

Anyway, just curious if anybody else is a Steadman fan?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBlank_Generation
WayfarinStranger

Loc: Illinois
Re: Ralph Steadman [Re: MycoMateo]
    #4479043 - 08/01/05 12:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've always enjoyed his great scratchy drawings. On that DVD there is a documentary on Hunter on the second disc that is really good and features Steadman I'm pretty sure. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has all the ones featured on the DVD book which was put together pretty nicely. His work really varies and he's done a lot of great stuff. I think he sells some online would be nice to buy one but to much $. Here's a favorite of mine he did for Animal Farm:

Offlinefrostynostrils
Human

Loc: Seattle
Re: Ralph Steadman [Re: Blank_Generation]
    #4479517 - 08/01/05 02:50 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you're a beer drinnker, the Flying Dog Ale company (pretty sure that's the name) has a whole line of beers illustrated by Steadman. Even if you don't like their beer, the website lets you buy illustrated pounders, tshirts, etc...

--------------------
"Smear the paint till the colors run,
It's nearly time, I'm nearly done
Flaming, orange, open sky!"
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies

OfflineMycoMateo
White andFluffy!

Re: Ralph Steadman [Re: frostynostrils]
    #4481470 - 08/01/05 05:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

There must be like five or six different things for sale on his website that I want to order. Unfortunately, all of his work is crazy expensive cause they're short run prints (less than 50 or 100) so it makes them super rare and consequently ridiculously expensive. I'd spend $100 if I got ten posters, but there's no way I'm gonna pay $800 for one piece. I really wish he had poster prints of his work for sale, even twenty or thirty bucks would be respectable I think.

Frosty, I saw that beer and I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for it. I was reading on their website and there's a REALLY cool thing they're doing with a collector's edition bottle:

Quote:

A golden ticket has been placed, 'willie-wonka style', inside one of containers. The ticket is an invitation for two to Hunter's memorial at Owl Farm in Woody Creek, Colorado on Aug 20. You and a friend could be joining Hunter's inner circle, including Willie Wonka himself, aka Johnny Depp, to witness Dr. Gonzo's final departure from the business end of a cannon! The prize includes round trip airfares from anywhere in the continental US, two nights accommodation and transportation to and from the memorial.

Fuck chocolate, now that's what I call a golden ticket.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub