Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCloud
Stranger

Loc: USA
guitar players
    #4478213 - 07/31/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone here play any guitar...bass/acu/ele..how long have you been playing..what inspired you to start....I really want to keep playing electric but I cant find a way to keep myself motivated.  :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: guitar players [Re: Cloud]
    #4478296 - 07/31/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ive been playing guitar for about 3years now. im not too good at it, but this fall semester im takin a guitar intro class at my college. the reason i started is really odd. i have no specific reason, just, one day, out of the blue, i got this feeling of a want to play guitar. its really odd cause at the time i was really caught up in the rap and hiphop scene... now i also have a bass too. when i plug in i play metal and goth metal. but unplugged its alot more blues and jazzy type stuff. and what motivates me is seeing someone play the fuck out of their guitar! examples being steve vai, joe satriani, that kid from children of bodom, and the lead g. in shadows fall. and for bass i like to watch/hear the new bassist from metallica do his groove stuff, its fuckin awsome. but the true motivation should be inside you, the enjoyment of travelling through sound and exploring how the sounds make you feel.

so how long have you been playing? what kinda guitar etc u got? what kinda music you play?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4478326 - 07/31/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i been playing 3 years also, i play mostly oldskewl punk and metal, but i have alot of blues and classical inspirations that i also end up throwing into the mix. I got an ESP F-50, it was cheap and looks sick. I am currently working on shred metal (michael angelo batio, yngwie j. malmsteen, and a few others).

what about you

i started cause i say nirvana play on tv when i was little. but was too poor to get a guitar till i was older.

i also am poorly motivated...

i believe they refer to my problem as "hitting the wall"

OfflineCloud
Stranger

Loc: USA
Re: guitar players [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4478350 - 07/31/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i play a telecaster myself...been playing on and off for about 3 years now. some influences were david gilmour, jimi hendrix, jimmy page, eric clapton, van halen, joe satriani, stevie ray vaughan...the list goes on and on but the biggest influence was my dad. im trying to write my own stuff to play but its challenging.

Offlinedubt
Tao Teh Shroom

Loc: Florida
    #4478467 - 07/31/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ive been playing three years. I like a lot of music but I mostly play blues, funk, and flamenco. How to keep motivated in music:
Share it. Meet people who play music too. Play with them. Start a band. That's basically it. Unless you are a perfectionist and like to practice all day you will eventually get bored if you do not start playing with other musicians.

--------------------
I'ts all a fucking lie! Everything written by me is fictional. I don't even exist!

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: guitar players [Re: dubt]
    #4478494 - 07/31/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

listen to bron-y-aur by zeppelin , really loud - that always give im inspiration (page your a legend)

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: guitar players [Re: liveby]
    #4478520 - 07/31/05 08:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing about 5 years. I get inspration from listening to new styles of music. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can't write anything. I wasn't good until about a year ago, and now I write music all the time. There's a kind of barrier you have to break through as a musician where it just all clicks together. Keep playing, and it will happen.

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: guitar players [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4478807 - 07/31/05 09:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing guitar for about 9 years. The main bands that got me into it were Slayer and Metallica when I was 13. These days I still play metal aswell as stuff like pink floyd and what not. The main thing for me to keep inspired is to learn new stuff and get new music. At the moment I have a Jackson Kelly Performer and a 1985 Washburn A10 Destroyer through a Line6 Flexitone3 150watt 2x12 amp. It took me 7 or so years before I started to write my own material so don't get to down on that front :smile:. The main bands I am practising and getting inspiration from at the moment include Cynic - Focus(the tabs to all the songs of this album are avaliable on the website www.cynicalshpere.com), In Flames, Pink Floyd, Children of Bodom. but I always end up going through phases of what I play. Motivation and Discipline are a must to progess with any instrument. Keep on trying and you will eventually start to progress.

:hairmetal: :drumming: :rockon: Keep on rockin'!

--------------------
Light & Music

OfflineMetatrad

Re: guitar players [Re: DestruKtiKon]
    #4479162 - 07/31/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing 1.5 years. I've taught myself everything, with the help of some online articles, so my style is probably a bit fucked up sounding.

The main influences on my style are Adam Jones of Tool, Robert Fripp, Radiohead, Sunny Day Real Estate (love those shimmering arpeggios), REM, and Josh Homme's Kyuss stuff. So, a little jangle, a little stoner metal, a little british pop rock...fairly balanced blend I think.

I just recently started getting into the Grateful Dead, and Garcia and Bob Weir are really blowing me away. I'm trying to learn some of that stuff now too, to branch off in another direction.

I've been experimenting with writing and recording my own music over the past 3-4 months. I'm learning and stumbling as I go along, but it's very fulfilling. Probably the most fulfilling thing in my life right now.

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

Re: guitar players [Re: Metatrad]
    #4479563 - 08/01/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

For strumming and other regular patterns listen to blues, jam bands and classic/country rock like allman brothers. For soloing (aside from hendrix and white) go to zappa and steve vai. heavy metal is good too, but you need a certain type of drummer for those techniques to be applicable.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4480271 - 08/01/05 07:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ive been playing for 8 years now. it was a fluke that got my started. i didnt even intend to start. but it was certainly meant to be. i am a natural pertaining to any instrument i pick up. i like guitar best though.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinescotsman1
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: guess
Re: guitar players [Re: Locus]
    #4480679 - 08/01/05 11:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I aint a guitarist i'm a drummer and been playing 30 years and the only
thing that keeps me going is jamming with other musicians, it's still so
enjoyable even after all these years, throw in the odd gig and it's one
of the most wonderfull things ever, a feeling all to itself that no drug
could ever match.
Are you in a band? if not join one ASAP.

--------------------
We're Bought and Sold
For English Gold

Invisiblemarvoman
Re: guitar players [Re: scotsman1]
    #4481843 - 08/01/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and as other people have said the way to keep going is to find people to play with. And when I'm not with other musicians I jam along to records, the best being records that move away from rock styles such as hip-hop.

I'm doing a music degree at the mo and have many links into the industry. The guitar player who inspired me to pick up the guitar in the first place? Hendrix, no, clapton, no...

Steve fuckin' Jones man!

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: guitar players [Re: marvoman]
    #4507674 - 08/07/05 04:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of times, playing with other musicians really pisses me off. Like, a lot of times, I'll set up a jam session, and it will be three people playing different things. Not many people really know how to jam.

--------------------
Manitou

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: guitar players [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4508271 - 08/07/05 08:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I've played with people like that. It usually comes up when you have more than 2 guitar players.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4508319 - 08/07/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing bass for 10 years and diddling with guitar for about 6 years. In a metal band since 1996, but I enjoy playing many instruments, especially percussion/hand drums. I think the best way to improve is by jamming with other people, and practicing by yourself. You have to inspire yourself to reach new levels of playing.. learn and slowly master everything you can at your own pace. My main inspiration comes from listening to pieces of crazy music that are new to me, and listening to old classics you love helps too. You have to challenge yourself.

And it definitely matters who you jam with. Some people's "styles" just don't click together. Some people are technically a lot more proficient than others. But these are relatively minor barriers.. for musicians can be born overnight. But when you find someone or some people that you *do* connect with, musicially speaking.. it can be quite magical. All that matters is the passion for which you play your music, and that it comes from the heart and mind united. You are only as good as you limit yourself to be. That, and lots and lots of practice. Just have to stay motivated.

Songwriting is more or less a personal thing..

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: guitar players [Re: Shroomism]
    #4510268 - 08/08/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ive played for around 10 years now.
im still technically not very good, but i feel very comfortable dancing around the neck.

i started playing cuz my older brother played and i wanted to be like him.

something about electric guitar is just very cool. its alot of fun to crank out and wail on those strings.

i have been playing bass guitar off and on for the past few years as well, i think i actually prefer it over guitar because it seems to have a more earthy and percussive power to it.

as far as motivation goes, sometimes ill go days or even weeks without touching my guitar. i just wont feel any inspiration and then ill come home one day and immediately pick it up and start jamming for hours.

this would be counter productive if music was my profression but its not. i only have to play when i really feel like it.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: guitar players [Re: Grav]
    #4510481 - 08/08/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: indeed and sometimes that is the best way to stay motivated.
sometimes it sucks when you don't really *feel* like playing, but you have to pick up that guitar or bass and play for an hour straight anyway. Though I never really got paid any -real- money to do it.. that's some motivation too. but 99% of musicians DONT get paid to play, ever.. so you better hope you do it mostly for your own enjoyment or you wont be enjoying it :laugh:

I find it boring to just sit down and play the same chords and shit I always do. I don't think it's just me... but I tend to get caught up in "loops".. whether it's getting 'stuck' in the same couple of chords, or scales.. or whatever. It happens to me on the hand drums too.. no matter what I try to change up... somehow I almost always end up back in that same familiar rhythm. It's good to play your familiar stuff.. but I also think it's very important to break out of the box every once in a while... play some shit you would never play normally, in a way you would never play it. Go crazy on the fretboard and see what happens. Just let it loose and don't even think about it and let it flow. Of course this works easier when you sort of know what you are doing... an organized insanity... educated madness.. sort of thing. But it's a good way to challenge yourself, express spontaneous creativity, and learn some new things. If I'm stuck on some metal riff.. I'll learn a jazz chord and scale. If I can't stop strumming that damned g minor.. I'll experiment with some classical shit playing with my fingers. Variety is the spice of life, and guitar playing. :laugh:
Blast right through those plateaus.

No one mentioned any books or anything.. but two books I have found *extremely* helpful in comprehending the fretboard is: Fretboard Logic SE, and Guitar Grimoire. As far as I'm concerned, those are the best and most comprehensive books available on the subject, that delve into basic theory while giving a full understanding of the logistic and patterns behind the fretboard.. and not just making you robotically memorize 9,000 different chords and finger positions.

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

Loc: Washington, USA
Re: guitar players [Re: Shroomism]
    #4522779 - 08/11/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ive been messing around with bass guitar for about a year now. Im not good by any means, but I like it. It calms me down when Im mad, it makes me happy when im sad. My inspiration started with my dad. He has been playing since he was 15, and has been building guitars (acoustic and electric) since he was 18. He can build anything and everything, which is awesome, and he paints as well, but anyways. After that, Tool is what got me into bass. Tool is my all time fav band.
Also, if any of you guitar players need a guitar built or refinished, fixed, or something let me know if you are in the washington area. Especially if you want one built, he can do it to any specs u want.

--------------------
Our body is light, we are immortal.
Our body is love, we are eternal.
Eternal..

Omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: guitar players [Re: BigBallZMaN]
    #4549045 - 08/17/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Dude that's awesome your dad makes instruments.. that's something I would love to learn.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom