Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Phluck]
    #4475299 - 07/30/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think that aluminum deoderant, fluoride toothpaste, chemical soaked cigarettes, tylenol, and mcdonalds should be added to the list.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4475305 - 07/30/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

1) dont you understand that if some chemicals in chapstick can dry your lips out, it can create its own need via uncomfortablity, thus making you use more chapstick? there is more than just one type of addiction.

2)where did all this elitist and superiority talk come from? I never said anything like that at all. All I have to say to this though, is Mad tv....

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4476057 - 07/31/05 01:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Could it be that chapstick works as an in-demand product in the same way that pretzels, popcorn, and peanuts are offered free in many bars? To dry you out. The salty snacks dehydrate you, making you thirsty and willing to order more drinks. The chapstick dries your lips, making you reach for even more chapstick..In this way the product creates its own demand- very clever.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: zorbman]
    #4476063 - 07/31/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

At the beginning of this post I merely said that up until I was 15 I never used chapstick. I have since then, but have of course taken breaks during those 5 years. And if I stop my lips return back to dry, just as they were before I started chapstick entirely.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4476564 - 07/31/05 07:15 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dont you understand that if some chemicals in chapstick can dry your lips out, it can create its own need via uncomfortablity, thus making you use more chapstick? there is more than just one type of addiction.

It seems to me that the only people who use chapstick compulsively started because they had chapped lips over a long period of time, not because of a sudden need after isolated use. It seems to me that an effect which likely has no bearing on people's cravings for chapstick is being touted as "proof" that its addictive.

Quote:

where did all this elitist and superiority talk come from? I never said anything like that at all. All I have to say to this though, is Mad tv....

No, obviously you didn't say that you're a superior elitist. You said that mainstream culture is just a distraction of no real value. Just because Mad TV is a shitty show doesn't prove that mainstream culture is worthless. You seem to believe that your intellect puts you on a level above the general populace, that's elitism.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4476568 - 07/31/05 07:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There must be some award from Swami's best of threads, that can go to this thread. :rofl: I love it. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4477549 - 07/31/05 03:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So when, not just an isolated handful, but hundreds of thousands of people that use chapstick, and are miserable without it, and need it when they are stressed, or nervous and have to slop it on every 30 minutes or an hour, it gets a little suspicious of being addictive.

What are some of the advantages society has gained due to present pop culture? i mean, i understand how important it is for 13 year old girls to wear thongs and then pull them above their hip hugger jeans; or kids emulating people like 50 cent; or people watching Dr. Phil to find out what new psychological catch phrase they can use; or watch jerry springer so they can feel better about themselves as they attack the actors on stage....which one of these was it again?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4477651 - 07/31/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"So when, not just an isolated handful, but hundreds of thousands of people that use chapstick, and are miserable without it, and need it when they are stressed, or nervous and have to slop it on every 30 minutes or an hour, it gets a little suspicious of being addictive."

Why can we not take responsibility for our own confort and happiness and quit laying it on society. One of the major problems of our society is the habit many of us have to blaming others for our unpleasant behaviors.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4477718 - 07/31/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah? Why can't I take responcibility for everything unpleasant about me instead of blaming it all on Hue Hue. It's all your fault Hue!

Reminds me of RUSH Lyrics in FREE WILL

"Blame is better to give then recieve"

Anyone realize that blame is just a medium for giving power away and with habitual use will render one powerless, helpless, and useless.

Perhaps blaming the next guy is a part of the capitalistic american way that is being examined here.

Perhaps because society says it can take care of our comfort and happiness for a fee, and when people pay up and get lousy results, they blame them of course, yet keep listening and keep buying into it.

Perhaps the question is, why do more people listen to society then themselves?

Whatever, this thread is funny. Chap stick addiction. I never heard of such a thing till now.

P.S. psilo, you should've just gone with the one about why dog food is shaped like chickens and fish. Who knew chap stick use was such a touchy S&P subject?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4477740 - 07/31/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Yeah? Why can't I take responcibility for everything unpleasant about me instead of blaming it all on Hue Hue. It's all your fault Hue!"

If it makes you feel better feel welcome to blame me for your problems. My wife has does this occasionally....and she is usually correct. I do not know if others will accept this explanation...but give it a try. I will take full responsibility, but I do not pay restitution for said problems.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4477744 - 07/31/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

In fact that is a great idea. I will take responsibility for all shroomery members problems...I will be like Jesus...the shroomery messiah...

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4477752 - 07/31/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, "Anyone realize that blame is just a medium for giving power away and with habitual use will render one powerless, helpless, and useless." = truth

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4477794 - 07/31/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
In fact that is a great idea. I will take responsibility for all shroomery members problems...I will be like Jesus...the shroomery messiah...

My fly reel isn't working right! What have you done to it Hue? :rant: :mad2: :enraged: :razz:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Icelander]
    #4477809 - 07/31/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It was an oversight. I accept full moral (not financial) responsibility.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#4477819 - 07/31/05 04:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

In the future, wars will be fought over chapstick.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinedante

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: zorbman]
    #4477836 - 07/31/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I use chapstick every day and I think its fine. Its not like it gives you brain damage or nothin'.
I started wearing it all the time because I used to get terribly chapped lips, so I do it out of fear not conditioning.

--------------------
The clouds above us join & separate,
The breeze in the courtyard leaves & returns.
Like is like that, so why not relax?
Who can stop us from celebrating?

-Lu Yu

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4477845 - 07/31/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

not financial) responsibility.

Damn! :thumbdown:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: dante]
    #4477881 - 07/31/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"I use chapstick every day and I think its fine. Its not like it gives you brain damage or nothin'.
I started wearing it all the time because I used to get terribly chapped lips, so I do it out of fear not conditioning."

Well, obviously, you are a slave to the system who has sold his soul to "the man". You probably also support the Bush adminstration, and you killed Jesus.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (07/31/05 05:18 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4477883 - 07/31/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, "Anyone realize that blame is just a medium for giving power away and with habitual use will render one powerless, helpless, and useless." = truth

I used to be into blame. Now I much prefer denial and avoidance. They are powerful tools to be used in dealing with most any difficult situation.  :thumbup:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Swami]
    #4477920 - 07/31/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have taken refuge there before as well...but in the end one is still faced with the same problem.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale