Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Biggest Band Sell-Outs?
    #447652 - 11/05/01 11:51 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

well with trying to keep things calm and civilized how do u guys think are some of the biggest sell-out bands and/or individuals singers? Of the top of my head i can think of The Offspring.

anyways gotta go study so let me know what u think.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMortician

Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: hubertd8]
    #447841 - 11/05/01 03:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I think that this is a naive question.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: Mortician]
    #447913 - 11/05/01 04:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

why, it happens all the time, and well i was just wondering what u guys thought.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#448594 - 11/06/01 01:38 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i TOTALLY agree about offspring -- i used to love them (i still enjoy Ixnay and Ignition very much despite my classic rock/psychedelia love) but when i heard the new cd's i was like HEY THESE ARE THE SAME CHORD PROGRESSIONS FROM THE OLD CD'S IN DIFFERENT TIME SIGNATURES AND WITH DIFFERENT LYRICS! how original. i almost feel sad

OfflinePsilotor
    #448897 - 11/06/01 11:05 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Without a doubt, System Of A Down. Their self-titled cd was very erratic, heavy and lyrically interesting. Their new cd is wussy and intellectually backrupt. I hate it so much, it even affected how I feel about their first album- I can't tolerate it anymore. All I can think about is all their "self-righteous suicide" bullshit. Man, I hate Toxicity so bad!!

OfflineMarleyBob
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USSA
    #449046 - 11/06/01 01:47 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

blink 182

OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: MarleyBob]
    #449248 - 11/06/01 05:38 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

ma, ma, Ma, MAT- okay, hang on:
metallica [as he burns his finger]
i guess thats kind of like a hot button, yea? I hear so many people say they don't like them and the napster thing and everyhting, but I had a problem with their new stuff before that ever happened, it just jeopordizes the validity of my claim though. Still, their newer stuff is different, maybe I just don't like it because it's not really what I signed on for when I first statted like ing them, with tracks like master of puppets and enter sandman, not to mention god that failed and basicly the last 3 or 4 tracks on all of their first 4 cd's. their style is different now, i guess they just got older. that's what happens, huh?

InvisibleHydro
addict
Loc: In your closet..
    #449462 - 11/06/01 08:16 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Limp Dicklick. Not only do they suck, but they suck in a sell out kind of way. Pawns for MTV. Bah!

Want to learn to play Limp Dicklick kiddies? Great, I only have to teach you 2 chords! ;-)

--------------------
Hydro has spoken!
Please! Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

Edited by Hydro (11/06/01 08:18 PM)

InvisibleHydro
addict
Loc: In your closet..
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: WhAcKeD]
    #449466 - 11/06/01 08:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

They got old, and they got better. Still, the napster deal was kind of shisty, but they still make great music.

--------------------
Hydro has spoken!
Please! Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #449617 - 11/06/01 09:58 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Personally metallica pisses me off the most,green day was bad two, but anyway, everyone sells out to some extent..But by far the biggest sellout I've seen is Milli Vanilli...these two actually agreed to not using any of there own music, but lip sync'ing two other guys music, that is sellout to the rawest........

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlinejsmith
    #449700 - 11/06/01 11:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I agree (of course) on Metallica, but I think they also kind-of did some neat stuff during their "new" period, like the Garage Inc, covers and the symphony stuff. Limp Bizkit, ...just makes me sick, what else can I say. Three dollar bill was a BAdASS album, and that era of their music was cool--RATM covers, Janes Addiction covers, ruthless screaming, etc. And thern they sold out....

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: Hydro]
    #449711 - 11/06/01 11:13 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Deffinetly The Back Street Boys,
I remeber when they used to play at my brothers college, they rocked, it used to be all about the music for them. But now, it just isn't the same.

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Offlinehatter
addict
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: egolesss]
    #449799 - 11/07/01 12:46 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Egolesss,

I have to disagree about Green Day being a sell-out. I guess it is arguable, but in the sense that a punk band can't become mainstream it seems kind of ridiculous...I know that Green Day got death threats from their old stomping ground after Dookie came out, just because they had a song on the top 20....that is just stupid, especially when most of those 'punks' are poser white collar kids.

If you didn't know, 'Time of Your Life' was an ironic fuck you to the punk gastapo. Hey, people get older, have kids, become a little less aggresive with their lyrics...so what? Unless you're Metallica, of course, in which case you can just go directly to Hell..

--------------------
How is a raven like a writing desk?

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

Edited by hatter (11/08/01 02:32 AM)

Offlineredworm

Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: hatter]
    #449955 - 11/07/01 07:09 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Korn anyone?
actually now that I think about it they didn't really sell out, (ie, you don't see them in commercials like smash mouth) they just got tons and tons of new fans once follow the leader came out, they were getting all sorts of airplay on mtv. now, follow the leader was a pretty good album, but issues is just terribe. Korn was my favorite band for a few years but they lost me when they changed their sound on their 2 most recent albums. plus seeing them on mtv all the time just made me sick.

--------------------
------
We are all, infinite and together.

Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: hatter]
    #450027 - 11/07/01 09:03 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hatter, I threw green day in because punks don't sell out, not my rules, but the punk community rules. I've seen green day I like them. It just goes against everything they sing about.

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlineflaw
enthusiast
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: egolesss]
    #450871 - 11/07/01 08:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Korn aren't a sellout, no. They're popular because teen angst has become popular. Its like saying Nirvana were sellouts.

The closest they came to that was FTL and it wasn't a sellout (although I did see a middle-aged woman wearing a korn shirt during that era - good for her). Personally I think Issues was better than FTL, FTL had some catchy singles on but Issues had an interesting vibe.

Limp Bizkit are the biggest sellout band on earth right now. Their first album was credible but the last one was laughably poor. Why do you think Wes Borland finally snapped? I always wondered how someone with his talent could take it, and it seems his patience slipped. Sit down and listen to the lyrics of the chocolate starfish, you might find yourself really laughing at them.

I remember hearing about how fantastic they were live, well I saw them live (post chocolate starfish) and err.. they were nothing special.

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: flaw]
    #450892 - 11/07/01 08:55 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i thought issues was pretty good but the rest of there shit wasnt exactly what i get into...but about limp bizkit i think that the tour they did with napster must have been a big front just to make them look like anti-sell-outs [can you do that with hte double hyphons(sp?)]

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: flaw]
    #450896 - 11/07/01 08:57 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

korn sold out. Listen to their first cd, then life is peachy then listen to their new shit and tell me they didn't sell out. offspring sold out. Limpbizkit sucks ass and sold out. now people wanna sound like limp bizkit and whole bunch more bad music came out. i don't remember any rage covers on 3 dollar bill which one? rage kinda sold out. their old sound was so much better on their new shit they don't even sound angry. system changed their sound alot i haven't heard their new cd only the single so i can't judge but seems like they sold out. blink 182 sucks ass so i don't even care. they have to be the worst musicians ever I can't believe they got so famous. i could go on but i don't feel like it. maybe later. And don't get me wrong rage is one of my favorite bands i love their self titled cd and evil empire, but then it went down hill.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlineflaw
enthusiast
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #451283 - 11/08/01 01:29 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Ok TeRzMaStA, I've listened to all korn's cds. All I hear is a little different sound, nothing that means sellout - whats your point?

So if they don't sound angry enough they're sellouts?.. your definition of selling out is probably quite different to what most people would consider selling out. What we're talking about here is the specific change in their music over time that makes them seem more like corporate wh0res than musicians.

People are quick to jump on the bandwagon when a band's cds are 'different' to the first one. Ye olde 'I like their old stuff better than their new stuff'.

Offlinehatter
addict
Re: Biggest Band Sell-Outs? [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #451327 - 11/08/01 02:57 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Going by your formula, Radiohead must be sell-outs fer sure! Hell, every one of their albums is totally unlike the others. Changing and evolving a style is a great thing, that is if their was legitimate talent and substance there in the first place. That is why I have a hard time comparing an awesome band like Radiohead to trendy catchphrase-chorus-fest crap like Korn or LBizkit.

It's funny..following some of these bands is like smoking crack--always trying to match that first fix...and you never quite get there.

BTW, give Catherine Wheel a listen...

--------------------
How is a raven like a writing desk?

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]