Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Cacti pics
    #447636 - 11/05/01 01:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Bringing in the pedros and perus for the winter, starting to frost in the mornings here quite frequently. As I was carrying them in the house, I figured I'd snap some shots of them so I would have some pics to compare to when I first bought them this year. They have grown alot! The bigger pedro was 22" when I bought him, now he is over three foot, standing proud at 39" tall, he has also sprouted a new pup at the base that is already 6" tall and a good 3.5" in diameter :) The smaller pedro grew about 9" this year, my 4" peru is now almost a foot tall, and the peru I had to top of due to rot has a nice healthy 3" pup :) These cacti grow fast!

Here are some pics. Note there are tow distincly different types of Tr. peruvianus. The first is lighter in color and lacks distinct "V" notches, and the aeroles are fairly close together. The second type is darker in color, kinda bluish around the aeroles, and there are definite "V" notches, and the aeroles are kinda spread farther apart. Lots of other small differences too.

This is my biggest pedro at 39" tall and 3.5" wide. Sorry for the crappy pic, I wasn't about to try moving his ass back outside for a pic :)

LK,

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
Re: Cacti pics [Re: Lizard King]
    #447831 - 11/05/01 04:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Those look real healthy. heres one of mine.... :) This last one is not a cactus shes my dog :)

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

Offlinejihead
addict
    #448604 - 11/06/01 03:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

damn LK, when you gunna eat some of that giant? send me a piece when ya do

--------------------
kill white noise

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #449627 - 11/07/01 12:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just brought mine in for the winter two weeks ago. You can tell the speed of growth, just by looking at them now. They already have about 1/4" of growth thats lighter do to the lighting change. One of the pups that sprouted in the beginning of the season is about 10" already, it also gave birth to two more pups at the base that are about 3" tall. My other cactus is about 2.5' tall with two pups measuring 6" and 5".

And for any of you wondering. I won't be eating any of my cacti. No proud cacti owner should.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
Re: Cacti pics [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #450076 - 11/07/01 12:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I tried eating pedros a few times but , nothing happened that was all that great and it taste like shit. Its much for fun watching them grow.....

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
    #450362 - 11/07/01 04:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Is it safe to re-pot your pedros when you bring them in for the winter? Mine is about 3 feet tall and its in a 6-8 inch wide pot... really needs a bigger home.

Peace out,
-Gumby

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Cacti pics [Re: Gumby]
    #450925 - 11/07/01 11:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in the same boat and wondering the same thing Gumby. I don't think I really have a choice though, I have to put some thing under the pot its in now to keep it from tipping, its heavier on one side and easily tips(hasn't happened yet) I think it might help make it go dormant, which is what I want to happen, the growth during winter is skinny and ugly, I don't want them to grow a single inch during winter. Going to repot all of mine except for one this weekend.

LK,

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Cacti pics [Re: Gumby]
    #451201 - 11/08/01 02:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Shouldn't cause too much harm, by repotting, especially once growth slows down for indoor climates. This way you don't have to worry about the shock transplanting causes in the spring, when you want healthy growth again.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineGrenade01
enthusiast

Loc: United States of America
    #451216 - 11/08/01 02:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Damn how is your cactuses doing so much better than mine!!! Mine only grew like 2 inches this year..
You know..mine looks exactly like yours..but i always thought mine was a Trich Pachanoi...hmm
thats what the guy told me..i dunno maybe im retarded and i cant tell the difference
My friend ate (whatever it is i have because we bought ours at the same time)
and he had an "overly intense" experience

I wouldnt eat mine
I just want the damn thing to grow!

--------------------

Baagok!

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Cacti pics [Re: Grenade01]
    #451539 - 11/08/01 11:51 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

All pics are of Tr. peruvinaus except the last one, the crappy pic with my guitar in it shows my big Tr. pachanoi(san pedro).

I'm not sure what your doing wrong? I think alot has to do with climate though, where do you live? I'm in GA and we have some killer hot summer months, and my cactus only come in during november-febuary, I usually put them back outside late feb-early march. That gives them 9 months to grow, and grow they do :) My biggest pedro grew 17.5 inches in 9 months, he was only 22" when I bought him, he damn near doubled in size in just one season. If your cactus grew only 2" this year, something is wrong, or your cactus is still a baby. Once they get some size to them they really take off. During hot sunny sunmmer weather mine would grow 2" in just one week. Try feeding your cactus some cacti juice(miricle grow for cacti) and water twice a week during the prime of summer, they should take off.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineGrenade01
enthusiast

Loc: United States of America
    #451673 - 11/08/01 02:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My cactus is small (like 8 inches) but its not exactly a baby...hrm
It seems like it gained a lot more girth than height..its pretty fat..im sure its pedro though
I mean it looked identical to all the pictures not to mention I asked the guy at the cactus place if he had any tr. pachanoi and he was like right here..and it was labeled San pedro: T. Pachanoi..so like yeah
Maybe it will take off soon
I live in southern california ..so its not exactly HOT hot in the summers but the warmth lasts pretty long..
even now Its not really cold at night...My salvia plant is doing fine outside..no curled edges and everyone knows salvia is easily damaged in the cold ..so yeah i think the climate is fine..IM going to try transplanting it into a different pot and after a week or so Im going to give it some of that cactus fertalizer...I think maybe the pot is just to small and I havent really fertilizzed it much so..

--------------------

Baagok!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden