Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants.
    #4475865 - 07/31/05 02:18 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of mine has never tripped off of mushies before and I don't want to give them to him just yet, lol.

He has some type of HIV meds that he's on and some type of depressants...

I haven't found out EXACT names of the meds yet but When i do i'll repost this thread.

Anyways...I've read the certain meds can cause trips fearing of death, some people experience seizures, and i'm just a bit worried...

And he takes H.I.V meds, that what i'm really worried about. I'm worried that there's not alot of people out there that have tested meds w/ hallugenic drugs...So I have no idea what might happen...

But I'm curious and i'm looking to find out...He more than likely won't trip b/c I'm to worried about him dying...=/

Anyways, any feedback w/ info. would be much appreciated..Thankx

-Gnostic

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4476561 - 07/31/05 09:10 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I really don't think that Psiloc(yb)in will conflict with those drugs. It's very rare to see a nasty reaction that would cause a seizure or death...atleast with a natural drug. IME..nasty things usually happen when synthetic drugs are mixed.

However..those anti-depressants will surely have some sort of an effect on the trip.

Keep us posted.

Pluto

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: Tien]
    #4476565 - 07/31/05 09:16 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Great point Plutonium :thumbup:

I'm just un-sure right now about what kind of H.I.V meds he's on and such...

He might be on other stuff but i'm not sure lol...

I'll def. post up everything when I find out.

-Gnostic

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4476591 - 07/31/05 09:33 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah the anti-depressants will have an effect. And you're right about there not being much data about HIV drugs and hallucinogens, but there is data about how the HIV drugs work, so we should be able to figure any interactions out once you post the names of them.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinerake
Stranger

Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: dblaney]
    #5185692 - 01/16/06 01:43 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

In my youth I was a street kid junkie. I've had HIV at least 17 years (I'm an old guy), and I also have hepatitis C, which I am not yet treating with pharmaceuticals. I am healthy, asymptomatic, and lead a normal life. I take prozac, welbutrin, and a combination of 4 HIV meds, and I trip frequently on LSD. I have never had any sort of problem.

A study was done a few years back by Kit Bronson (google the name, it might still be available) on interactions between different anti-depressant types and psychedelics. The only interaction she found between psychedelics and SSRIs is that for most people they weaken the effects of mushrooms and LSD.

I can attest that this is dose-dependent. When I was taking 40 mgs of prozac I could NOT get off on shrooms. At the time there was no LSD around so I don't know how that would have been. Since cutting back to 20mgs I am now back to my normal reactions. I've never heard of any kind of toxic effect of mixing antidepressants and psychedelics, and if there's someone on this thread who has, please point to a link or something. Otherwise it's just rank speculation.

As for HIV meds, I'm pretty much in the loop and I follow the subject avidly. If there was some warning about HIV meds and psychedelics I probably would have heard about it. That's not to say there isn't some hidden danger, but HIV people stay very connected on the web and if anything had happened to date, it would have been all over the HIV online community in no time.

I have taken two different cocktails of HIV meds in the last few years, and I've done HUGE doses of LSD without any problems. For the most part I stay away from mushrooms - they're hard on my stomach and - being a natural fungus - are much more likely to contain some unknown organism or mold or contamination. With HIV and a taxed liver from the hep C, I like to stay super clean. But I have eaten chocolates from time to time and have experienced no problems.

I buy my Medicine from good family, and I always try one before I do a large dose. With the recent flood I've been tripping way out there somewhat frequently. I am in the midst of a personal and artistic renaissance, and couldn't be happier.

No one can be sure, but I think LSD is helping me enormously to stay healthy and in touch with my body and the wider world of nature. I believe psychedelics are a valuable tool for anyone facing a serious health situation. If I were your friend I would start with small doses and work his way up to what's comfortable (or astonishing) to him. No need to hurry.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure there is more info out there on the net. Try to find out the specific meds and post 'em. God bless - happy trails.

Offlinerake
Stranger

Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: rake]
    #5185703 - 01/16/06 01:49 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

sorry - didn't realize this was such an old thread. Good to have it on the record anyway, I suppose. Hope the info helps someone.

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: rake]
    #5191668 - 01/17/06 06:00 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

<<As for HIV meds, I'm pretty much in the loop and I follow the subject avidly. If there was some warning about HIV meds and psychedelics I probably would have heard about it. That's not to say there isn't some hidden danger, but HIV people stay very connected on the web and if anything had happened to date, it would have been all over the HIV online community in no time.>>

I concur with rake - no probs with any HIV meds and mushrooms to my knowledge and I take all my HIV patients off all meds anyway and put them on pure food protocols which include psilocybes (if I can/individual patient)at least monthly. No sad news yet... :smile:

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Offlinewillyjones
Stranger
Re: HIV Meds and Anti-Depressants. [Re: curenado]
    #14442123 - 05/12/11 10:33 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

curenado said:
<<As for HIV meds, I'm pretty much in the loop and I follow the subject avidly. If there was some warning about HIV meds and psychedelics I probably would have heard about it. That's not to say there isn't some hidden danger, but HIV people stay very connected on the web and if anything had happened to date, it would have been all over the HIV online community in no time.>>

I concur with rake - no probs with any HIV meds and mushrooms to my knowledge and I take all my HIV patients off all meds anyway and put them on pure food protocols which include psilocybes (if I can/individual patient)at least monthly. No sad news yet... :smile:

i realize i might be flamed for reviving an old thread
but im really curious to know
how your HIV patients are doing 5 years later after being taken off their meds (im assuming they're Antiretroviral drugs)
How has the change of diet affected them
as well as the monthly dose of shrooms
have any of them been cured?
Has their viral load gone down and what do their T-cells look like?

OfflineLanLord
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Mateo, Ca. USA
    #14442181 - 05/12/11 10:48 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know what the extent of his condition is, terminal or controlled, but there has been some very positive work with psilocybin and terminal cancer patients.  It truly helps them embrace the end of life with open arms and an open mind.

That said, I honestly would wonder how a trip would go if you started facing your own mortality in a short term manner.  I think I'd be scared, but... Never know.

--------------------
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience