Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineyoda42870
Stranger
mmushroom question
    #4473509 - 07/30/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hi i found some mushrooms in some mulch they were in a cluster. they are brown in color with whiteish brown stems they have a real strong odor that resembles dog doo, can you please tell if this could be magic or poisonous? thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida, Hernando Co Flag
Re: mmushroom question [Re: yoda42870]
    #4473634 - 07/30/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yes it could be magic or poisonous (or just edible), but it is unlikely that it is more than one of these at the same time.

--------------------
Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap, lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination.—Alan Watts

http://deoxy.org/index.htm

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: mmushroom question [Re: sir_eel_green]
    #4473718 - 07/30/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Pictures... Or something more to go on ...
You also need to do more research on your own Via Google and try and find what kinds of Fungi grow in your local.. Where they grow... What they grow in ... Time of year they grow.. You also need to understand that thousands of strains of fungi can grow in one square mile!
Do your local homework first, Then the rest will slowly fall in place!

Yessup!

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Offlineyoda42870
Stranger
Re: mmushroom question [Re: sir_eel_green]
    #4473725 - 07/30/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your reply. Is there any easy way to tell? I'm new at foraging....I've been searching for websites and photos, etc....but it's hard to tell and I'm afraid to do a "taste test!" Don't wanna end up dead. It smells REALLY bad, I can't compare it to anything except poo. I took a super-lousy picture....trying to upload it here. In addition to smelling like poo, it looks like poo in the photo...LOL...but I swear they're 'shrooms!<p>

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #4473785 - 07/30/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery!

Try this link, it is the Hunting FAQ, it should tell you what species grow in your area.  With that try looking up more specifics on that species and you can narrow your searching down.  The search button up above will be very invaluable.

Peace
Oops, I never put the link in  :wink:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23470

PS... Those aren't active

Edited by @cro (07/30/05 03:05 PM)

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #4473790 - 07/30/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OK first That pic is worthless. LOL sorry the truth hurts sometimes.. The photo hosting here works well.. The camera skills and quality of camera are another story..

What you need to do is kinda like this..

"Surf the hell outa this sight!"

1: Do a spore Print.. Take the cap and lay it flat on a sheet of white paper with a glass over the top to keep all the spoors in place..If the cap is dry wet it a lil with a finger dip ed in water and rubbed in tell it gets a lil soft.. The moisture will help the spoors fall..
2: Get a Local Mushroom Field Guide for your location... IE. if you live in Canada don't get a book from Mexico!
3:never eat any mushroom you think is Magical!.....NeVeR!
4:Slow down.. If you take the time to do your homework you will be able to ID a mushroom this having a great trip not stressing about what you just ate!
5: Look at the spore Print after a few hours.. The darker the better.. Again do your homework and the color of the print will help you ID your find..
6:Get a good camera you will be amassed at what a good set of pics can do as far as asking for an ID..
7:I'm skipping all over the place!
8: Don't rush yourself! If you take your time and learn B4 you jump in you will be sooo much better off!
sorry for the rammmmble!

OK I'm not in ANY way an expert in this field .. But I can say I have done my homework.. I have the books now.. I have found great mushrooms in the wild... And with that said .. I can eat what I find and not stress out about going to the Morgue!

Good Luck ..

Yessup

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Edited by YESSUP (07/30/05 02:17 PM)

Offlineyoda42870
Stranger
Re: mmushroom question [Re: YESSUP]
    #4473865 - 07/30/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yessup,

Thanks very much for your tips. You've been much more than helpful! I will buy some books, and do the spore print trick and try my best to be patient. It's hard for me, when I get something in my head I want it.... yesterday...but I'm going to try.

No offense taken on the pic...LOL. I knew it was crummy but I dunno...got desperate I guess to try & figure this out. I guess I will break down and buy a good camera...my wife has wanted one for a while but my cheapo logic was, "We have 2 other cameras, yes, they're cheap but so what?"

Thanks again!

--john in the Shenandoah Valley of VA

Offlinedmgc4
psilopirate

Loc: Central FL
    #4473867 - 07/30/05 02:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mushroom info.>finding mushrooms>mushroom hunting faq>active mushrooms, other mushrooms, seasons, locations, etc.. :thumbup:  :typing:

Edited by dmgc4 (07/30/05 02:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract