Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLange
Stranger
 User Gallery
Next years poppies
    #4473200 - 07/30/05 09:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have recently sampled the fruits of this plant which seems to grow in a few places around my local area (SW UK). The original plants which I found, and some of you helped identify, were not very effective. I?m not sure why but they were quite small and even though a few different methods were used they didn't?t have the desired effect. However I was able to find the real thing growing near with a bit of help from a friend. I only found about 60 heads growing wild, enough for a few cups of tea each I think, although they were all absolutely stuffed with seeds. I have filled a small ice-cream container with them. My plan for next year is as follows and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I don?t really want to grow thousands of the things in my own garden, although quite large it is overlooked and visible from a number of angles. I plan to take about 2/3 of the seeds and mix them into a bucket of sand. I have located a spot with quite sandy soil, very similar to the area that I found the original plants growing, and also quite secluded. In late September/October I will then scatter this mixture very finely over the ground. Although this place is out of the way it would not really be appropriate to cultivate the ground in any way, so I was just going to sprinkle it over the surface.

Of the remaining 1/3 I will sow half of the seeds in the same way as described, but in my garden in well cultivated soil, and keep the remaining seeds for spring planting in case the rest are destroyed in a particularly harsh winter. That way even more of our countryside will be populated with these beautiful plants.

As I said I?m no expert on this and just gathering information where I can on the Internet. Anyone have any ideas? Is autumn planting the best plan in this part of the world?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Next years poppies [Re: Lange]
    #4473290 - 07/30/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

That sounds about right. Choose a place with loose soil. If you find turned soil (construction site, piles of loose soil, etc..) you'll have very good chances provided you sow at the right time.

This year i'm planning to spread seed late september/early october, which is right before it starts getting colder and the soil is still dry and lifeless. That way the seeds will germ once the first rains come and will have a better chance against the annual weeds (which also start to grow on the first autumn rains).

Perhaps the first poppies you found were papaver setigerum, a weak wild subspecies of somniferum with small capsules and purple flowers:

OfflineLange
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Next years poppies [Re: esin]
    #4473514 - 07/30/05 12:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Perhaps the first poppies you found were papaver setigerum, a weak wild subspecies of somniferum with small capsules and purple flowers"

That could be the ones, the picture looks fairly familiar.

We have quite a lot of rain here at that time of the year, I'm not sure what your climate is like. We will have the chance of frost from November through to early April I guess, but only hard in January/February.

Edited by Lange (07/30/05 12:49 PM)

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Next years poppies [Re: Lange]
    #4473761 - 07/30/05 02:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Mediterranean climate. Mild winters - harsh summers.
They 'cabbage' during the winter and bloom early spring here.

Planting in the end of the summer is good here as mostly all weeds are dead, giving our friends a head start.

In the UK you prolly have harsh winters and weeds year-round so you may have to find a different schedule. Perhaps sow after the last hard frost or something...?
And/or even work up the soil a bit to kill the pesky weeds.

Or, if you have access to a lot of seeds, spread A LOT of them and hope for the strongest to survive :shrug:

Basically your major concerns are:
Soil: The looser, the better.
Weeds: The less of them, the better.

You figure out when's best to plant in your area. It's kind of a trial and error process. I tried 'guerilla growing' for the first time this year, and although i had limited success i feel i know a lot more about how poppies get along in my conditions. Hopefully i'll have much better results next year.

OfflineLange
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Next years poppies [Re: esin]
    #4473789 - 07/30/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Not too much of a problem with weeds in my selected location. It sounds strange but the rabbits seem to keep everything down but not touch the poppies. Anyone else found this?

Maybe I'll just sow half in the autumn then, I've still got plenty of time to decide.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck