Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Optimal Physical Strength [Re: Icelander]
    #4484906 - 08/02/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, here is an experiment. For the next year don't lift weights, but do your breathing, moving...whatever mumbo jumbo strength building that takes no effort. I will train lifting weights with no breathing exercises.

We will then do a standard strength test by picking a heavy bar with weights off the floor, the DEADLIFT!

Who wants to bet on me?

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Optimal Physical Strength [Re: looner2]
    #4484993 - 08/02/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes things like the way your arms or tendons are shaped might be a factor as well. Just because someone is smaller yet stronger doesn't mean that they've gained that ability through breathing excercises.

A claim without evidence is meaningless. Just because someone believes that their breathing excercises are more useful than weight training doesn't make it so.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: Optimal Physical Strength [Re: Phluck]
    #4486527 - 08/02/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The quintessential example of high strength to weight ratios is observed when a 163lb boulderer from flagstaff beats an NFL linebacker in arm wrestling.

Tendons of steel, arms with veins like bootlaces, and an ego the size of texas.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4486717 - 08/02/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Ok, here is an experiment. For the next year don't lift weights, but do your breathing, moving...whatever mumbo jumbo strength building that takes no effort. I will train lifting weights with no breathing exercises.

We will then do a standard strength test by picking a heavy bar with weights off the floor, the DEADLIFT!

Who wants to bet on me?

You missed the part where I said it's all important.

How about if you don't breath for a year and I do, but you can lift weights and I won't, then at the end of the year we can see who lifts the most. :tongue:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinesacredscroll
Stranger
Re: Optimal Physical Strength [Re: orechron]
    #4486794 - 08/02/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

that's great, I figured this out while on a mushroom trip one day. My posture is much better now. If it wasn't for the mushrooms, I would have had to go to yoga class which isn't as much fun. Along side with strengthening my muscles, I work out weeks worth or stress and bodily discomforts while doing similar exercises while tripping, just focusing on different places of discomfort, and working them out. More recently I cleansed my own heart by focusing my attention on it and feeling the thick buildup of crap slowly work its way out. Man that exercise took longer than the rest, but that was the first time I really felt my heart, how blocked up it was, and how it was effecting me as a person. trippy. what other health benefits can the mushrooms offer??? im sure its endless.....non additive tobacco is much safer to smoke than tobacco with additives, this is one I experienced for myself while under the influence of shrooms.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4486849 - 08/02/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

looner2 said:

Who wants to bet on me?

You missed the part where I said it's all important.

How about if you don't breath for a year and I do, but you can lift weights and I won't, then at the end of the year we can see who lifts the most. :tongue:

Those breathing exercises aren't important, because they are bunk. Putting together a periodized routine, maximizing recovery, and eating right is all important to getting strong.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4486889 - 08/02/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well honestly I haven't tried those exercises. I wouldn't know if they work or not without testing it. ( I'll bet you haven't either) I do know that breathing properly is important. I know what a three minute round is like. If you can't relax and breath, you won't make it after the first 60 seconds.

So tell me truthfully. Have you tried the exercises he descibes for a period of time to test it? If not, you don't know. No matter what you say.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4487098 - 08/02/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
So tell me truthfully. Have you tried the exercises he descibes for a period of time to test it? If not, you don't know. No matter what you say.

You are right, I never tried them. I also have not tried licking peanut butter off a spoon upside down in hopes of pulling a 500 lb deadlift. But alas, I'm quite sure (based on my knowledge of biology, training, and logic) that it won't help. I can do the same with this. But by all means, breathe away and tell us of your miraculous results!

--------------------

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
    #4487825 - 08/02/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ah yes, the old take a reasonable argument against your position and relate it to something that is clearly absurd in hopes of distracting your viewers from the festering cluelessness just beneath the surface tactic.

Bravo. Well executed.

I've said it many times before here and it still applies...
It's not either/or. It's both/and.

My personal take on the original post is that it is more an exercise for activating the oft forgotten smaller muscle groups that would not be targeted by the majority of weight training exercises. Similar to the "i didn't even know i had a muscle there!" reactions of first-time yoga students I believe the practice would help an individual to gain conscious control over their entire body as well as lightly conditioning the entire physique. I already do something similar when training for climbing but starting tomorrow I will begin the practice described in addition to what I'm already doing. Of course it's not much of a control but we'll see what happens.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #4487855 - 08/02/05 11:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The more you flex your muscles, the more readily and efficiently they can be flexed. If you spend time doing flexing exercises, like the one described in the original post, you WILL get stronger. How much stronger? That's debatable. Not much, but you will be more able to use your muscles efficiently - that I'm certain of. Just don't expect to be doubling your strength. That's silly. =)

When I'm on a bodybuilding routine (working out about 5 days a week), I do flexing routines like the one posted regularly. I wasn't taught to do them. I learned myself. My muscles get torn up working out 5 days a week, obviously. Some part of my body is always in the process of healing. Flexing rushes blood and nutrients to your muscles and helps them heal faster. When I'm eating TONS of food during these periods, I get lots of pent up energy. Flexing is the perfect fix. It gets me sweating and breathing hard, pumps up my muscles, and helps me relax.

Here's a post I made in the past. 3rd to last post

I don't really know if everything I say in that post is true or not. I was just trying to get my ideas out there. I feel my overall idea is right. The details are debatable.

But as you can see, I figured out this flexing thing myself. It really does make me feel more ready to use my body.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Anonymous #1

#4488647 - 08/03/05 04:30 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Now, I don't know that it'll make 100% physically efficient, I know it won't, but it sounds like an isometric exercise, and that shit works. I do isometric stretches before I lift weights. It doesnt make a gigantic difference, but it helps a noticeable bit.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4488880 - 08/03/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
So tell me truthfully. Have you tried the exercises he descibes for a period of time to test it?  If not, you don't know. No matter what you say.

You are right, I never tried them. I also have not tried licking peanut butter off a spoon upside down in hopes of pulling a 500 lb deadlift. But alas, I'm quite sure (based on my knowledge of biology, training, and logic) that it won't help. I can do the same with this. But by all means, breathe away and tell us of your miraculous results!

Logic? :lol: As noted by one of the posters above ^^^ .You keep missing the point here. I will continue to do both breath work and weight training.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder