Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineskeetbot
Stranger
slime mold or life stage of P. cubensis?
    #4471023 - 07/29/05 09:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So, I have a few cow turds from a local field in a terrarium with reptile moss substrate below. I water every couple days and cover the top with simple tin foil. This method works great for home cultivation of wild P. cubensis. The question I have is related to a slimy/gelatinous branching fungal growth I have seen a couple times on the turds. For lack of a better description (and digi cam)it looks off-white, gelatinous and slimy, not stark white and fuzzy like P. cubensis mycelial growth I'm used to seeing. The amazing thing is how fast this growth changes shape and actually 'crawls' across the cow shit. It leaves a slimy trail similar to that of a slug. I can't stress how amazing the growth is, I can look at it-take a mental picture, and then look 30 minutes later and it's moved a couple inches across the turd and totally changed shape. What I'm wondering is if this is some kind of foreign slime mold or other contaminating mold...or if this is a life-stage of the P. cubensis fungus? I am no mycologist, but know the basics of anatomy, etc...I guess I'm worried about eating the mushies I grew for fear of possible contaminating toxins assimilated through growth with a dangerous mold of some sort. I'm looking for an expert opinion here...someone who really knows the life-cycle of P. cubensis and can tell me if this is just cube fungus "stretching it's legs" in the search for nutrients? I appreciate any help from the experts out there.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineskeetbot
Stranger
Re: slime mold or life stage of P. cubensis? [Re: skeetbot]
    #4471653 - 07/29/05 11:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

maybe this should be in the contamination forum? If so, feel free to move it moderators...somebody out there has to be familiar with this weird creeping fungus

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: slime mold or life stage of P. cubensis? [Re: skeetbot]
    #4472523 - 07/30/05 03:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know what it is but it has nothing to do with cubes.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineFungusBoi
Hedonist
Male
Re: slime mold or life stage of P. cubensis? [Re: Magash]
    #4473152 - 07/30/05 10:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it's TOTALLY slime mold. if it leaves a trail, it's slime mold. mushrooms will make a TRAIL, like a root structure extending away from the origin. slime molds don't care about where they've been, they're nto transferring nutrients back there. slime mold is also a jelly, you can wipe it away with your finger - mushrooms will be a fiberous solid. the slime mold should turn into a pile of (probably yellowish orange) goop with the consistancy of whipped cream in a few days....it's REALLY cool! probably not what you're lookin for tho. dunno about the toxicity of slime mold, i don't THINK it's bad for you tho....

--------------------
"Never rest for even a second, because a second becomes a minute, a minute becomes an hour, a hour becomes a day, and a day, a lifetime" -PTEI

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: slime mold or life stage of P. cubensis? [Re: FungusBoi]
    #4473301 - 07/30/05 12:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

on my first grow i didn't know how to properly humidify/hydrate birthed cakes so i let them sit a 1/2" water and the submerged part of the cakes made a yellowish slime layer but it didn't move. we did eat the shrooms but i don't think they killed me yet.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation