Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Experiment to see if my fruiting chamber is clean
    #4469843 - 07/29/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

OK, I have no idea if this will work, which is why no pictures are taken. Out of my last batch of 7 casings, all 7 colonized quickly, and looked very healthy (except one maybe which looked a little less solid)..then a casing layer was applied, different peat moss and verm then my usual stuff and it seemed to cause problems (I guess, still working on that). Two of the casings ripped through the casing layer, two got green mold in the casing layer, and the other three barly went into the casing layer. I scraped most the casing off those three, and fruited them, all of them pinned, but then two got green mold, and the third as well. The two that ripped through the casing layer (different strains, and both strains also had contamed casings) produced fine, but when harvesting, noticed GREEN FRIGGEN mold grrrrr. So now I'm quite afraid that I have an excess of mold spores in my chamber.

Before cleaning it though, since I still have two piddly things in it, I though..well if there was green mold in there and it was going to hit my casings, it should hit casings without substrate right? Mycelium helps fight off contams, so casings with substrate should be a little better at fighting off the molds..so I just put some casing containers, and spread a casing layer on the bottom, and put a few on different shelves in my closet..misted them and made them just like I would a casing layer...and now I wait and see if green mold comes.

I relize there are no nutes so the mold shouldnt germinate, but it shouldnt have after the casing was applied last run either..so water and peat must be enough..this did have oyster shells added as usual, and the peat had lime already added when I bought it. I layed out some casing mix from the exact same batch as the one I made last time where they all contamed. Theres nothing growing in the two bags I have left, but when checking them I thought to myself, well they're sealed so they wouldnt have anything growing..so I though, what if I laid it out...and I'm really baked (new skunk batch mmm)...so heres my post. This is in attempt to figure out where the problem came from last time (or a hint maybe) and if it is likly to happen again.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation