Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

My jars smell like rotten oranges. What to do? What to do?
    #4468507 - 07/29/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have 10 jars that are about a week old, there is some light white stuff growing and everything looks fine, it just doesn't smell fine. There is a somewhat pungent stench of rotten oranges amongst the jars.

This is my first attempt at growing shrooms. I've been using the standard PF Tek with brown rice flour and vermiculite. Everything's been done with as much cleanliness as possible, I had the gloves and the face covered and everything, but no pressure cooker. I used the steam in a pot method instead, water filled halfway to the tops of the jars and boil for about an hour.

I figured everything should be going well, however this smell seems to say otherwise. Are smells normal? Seems to me it might be a sign of bacterial contamination. I've done some searching around and found little in the way of answers.

The jars are with a friend, I've told that person to smell each jar and if only a couple actually smell to just throw them out. I don't know what to do if it turns out they all smell. Hoping someone here knows what?s going on or can offer some advice. Thanks.

Oh, ps, is there any danger to the person smelling these jars? Any dangers at all to the people growing? I wouldn't think there to be a high risk of anything like that as I haven't heard about it, but better safe then sorry.

Edited by lickatoad (07/29/05 12:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: My jars smell like rotten oranges. What to do? What to do? [Re: lickatoad]
    #4468624 - 07/29/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hows it going ... im not going nuts wahooo ... i got a contam befor and it smelled to me like oranges and no one else thought so :smile:

Theres a pic of it, it was my only contam, duno what caused it, i think it was the only one i forgot to wipe the rim on the inside of... you know the part that you put the half inch of dry vermiculite in, well i forgot to wipe the inside of the glass before i put in the vermiculite.  but the contam litterally was coming out of the inoculation holes like this horrible red/orange spider looking contam filled all the holes ... i had left it wraped in a black bag for weeks once i seen it was contaminated.

So seperate the smelly jars and if it turns a manky grey colour like mine did then dump or burry the contents. Oh also im just a beginner so wait till someone who isnt says wither im right or not :smile:

Also my mycelium stoped growing once the grey thing took over so thats also a bad sign if you mycelium stops completely on the smelly jars

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum